You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Stating facts from a place of ignorance is never a good starting point.

This type of analysis is in its infancy, but it is out there, people are doing it, and there will be a massive first mover advantage to the club who gets their head around it first.

I'm actually on my way to a football analytics conference now, I'll let you of any groundbreaking analysis I see.

This is a prediction.

"Might" or "may" rather than "will" might be the statistically correct way of stating it.

Or not.

• Upvote 4

Stating facts from a place of ignorance is never a good starting point.

This type of analysis is in its infancy, but it is out there, people are doing it, and there will be a massive first mover advantage to the club who gets their head around it first.

I'm actually on my way to a football analytics conference now, I'll let you of any groundbreaking analysis I see.

Can you at least agree that whatever they are doing, they are not doing it well enough?

Also, just a little more money on scouting would go along way.

We have constantly robbed Saints of their "stars" only for them to unearth an upgrade on what we took!

For the money we/FSG have spent or re-invested, we deserve to have had more than one flirtation with glory and not only Luis Suarez in the top 20 players in the world that have graced Anfield

I agree re the scouting but remember that it was Klopp who signed Lewandowski and Aubameyang for Dortmund,he's got Matip on a free too. He did have to buy Reus back for Dortmund for a decent fee,around 10-11 million euros after he was let go but he seems to be prepared to pay for players whom he rates.

Can you at least agree that whatever they are doing, they are not doing it well enough?

I don't think I can because I don't know what the stattos are doing at the club. But what I do 'know' (this is from memory, but I think is correct) is that our current points total at this stage of the season is the 3rd highest since the Prem went to 20 teams, so there is a decent chance that whatever they are doing is better than what they were doing, and as these things can take time, we may see the effect increase.

There is a chance I will meet our head of research today as i met him at the same conference last year, maybe if I get drunk enough afterwards I could ask what they're doing, but its not really the done thing, he's a nice guy, and I'd rather not act the cunt, and he probably wouldn't tell me anyway.

I don't think I can because I don't know what the stattos are doing at the club. But what I do 'know' (this is from memory, but I think is correct) is that our current points total at this stage of the season is the 3rd highest since the Prem went to 20 teams, so there is a decent chance that whatever they are doing is better than what they were doing, and as these things can take time, we may see the effect increase.

There is a chance I will meet our head of research today as i met him at the same conference last year, maybe if I get drunk enough afterwards I could ask what they're doing, but its not really the done thing, he's a nice guy, and I'd rather not act the cunt, and he probably wouldn't tell me anyway.

I'll chuck a gobby your way if you do.

• Upvote 2

Statistics buffs get drunk?  Now there's something I thought was Leicester City odds.

I agree re the scouting but remember that it was Klopp who signed Lewandowski and Aubameyang for Dortmund,he's got Matip on a free too. He did have to buy Reus back for Dortmund for a decent fee,around 10-11 million euros after he was let go but he seems to be prepared to pay for players whom he rates.

Wasn't Klopp a coach and their sporting director does the buying. It is why I am surprised he has been so vocal about transfer statements at Liverpool.

Im guessing he has taken on a bigger role at Liverpool. Klopp is on record saying something like do you think I watch the 2nd division of Japanese football re Kagawa. This isn't to take anything away from the excellent job he did at Dortmund. He made them more than the sum of their parts.

Reus was 18million euros and at the time was one of the top 7 highest transfer fees paid between German clubs. I'm not certain on this but weren't Dortmund the 2nd highest spenders in Germany in his time there?. Them buying Reus at that price when he was sort after by Bayern; is like us buying Dele Alli from Tottenham for a big fee.

Until we get a Monchi or a Zorc, we'll continue to make mistakes, and Klopp will too now that he doesn't have that stabilising factor. 

Stats aren't an issue, they're very helpful, but without a footballing brain to interpret them they're a map without a compass. Klopp's a great coach, but he's yet to show he can operate in the transfer market on his own initiative, and these owners have yet to appoint anyone of pedigree higher up who should be able to lighten that burden.

Big summer ahead. Before Klopp arrived, all the reports were briefed pieces about how he'd be backed with several £30m players; now we've hit a rocky patch and the owners are being questioned, the same planted articles are resurfacing. We'll see whether there's any truth in them soon enough, as this season can surely leave the manager in no doubt that he needs such players.

Wasn't Klopp a coach and their sporting director does the buying. It is why I am surprised he has been so vocal about transfer statements at Liverpool.

Im guessing he has taken on a bigger role at Liverpool. Klopp is on record saying something like do you think I watch the 2nd division of Japanese football re Kagawa. This isn't to take anything away from the excellent job he did at Dortmund. He made them more than the sum of their parts.

Reus was 18million euros and at the time was one of the top 7 highest transfer fees paid between German clubs. I'm not certain on this but weren't Dortmund the 2nd highest spenders in Germany in his time there?. Them buying Reus at that price when he was sort after by Bayern; is like us buying Dele Alli from Tottenham for a big fee.

I don't think Klopps role in transfers is significantly different to his role at Dortmund.

He's on record here saying he has ideas on players, scouts will bring him names and he'll get names from elsewhere then they'll discuss the options and watch the players that interest them.

So ,while he's quoted as saying he doesn't watch the 2nd division in Japan i don't think it means anything more than he wasn't the first one to spot him.

Until we get a Monchi or a Zorc, we'll continue to make mistakes, and Klopp will too now that he doesn't have that stabilising factor. 

Stats aren't an issue, they're very helpful, but without a footballing brain to interpret them they're a map without a compass. Klopp's a great coach, but he's yet to show he can operate in the transfer market on his own initiative, and these owners have yet to appoint anyone of pedigree higher up who should be able to lighten that burden.

Big summer ahead. Before Klopp arrived, all the reports were briefed pieces about how he'd be backed with several £30m players; now we've hit a rocky patch and the owners are being questioned, the same planted articles are resurfacing. We'll see whether there's any truth in them soon enough, as this season can surely leave the manager in no doubt that he needs such players.

Klopp asked for a Monchi and FSG tattooed a gun-wielding chimpanzee onto Alberto Moreno's leg.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Klopps role in transfers is significantly different to his role at Dortmund.

He's on record here saying he has ideas on players, scouts will bring him names and he'll get names from elsewhere then they'll discuss the options and watch the players that interest them.

So ,while he's quoted as saying he doesn't watch the 2nd division in Japan i don't think it means anything more than he wasn't the first one to spot him.

My understanding is coaches are just that in Germany similar to in Italy. It would be unheard of for a young manager coming from little Mainz going to the mighty Dortmund to have lots of autonomy in Germany. So I can't agree on that. A Guardiola going to Bayern would have more autonomy.

You can't acknowledge the success Klopp at Dortmund without recognising he had good support from good people. Smart sporting directors get the players that fit the manager

My understanding is coaches are just that in Germany similar to in Italy. It would be unheard of for a young manager coming from little Mainz going to the mighty Dortmund to have lots of autonomy. So I can't agree on that. A Guardiola going to Bayern might have more autonomy.

It wasn't the mighty dortmund though, it was the on the brink of collapse borrowing money from rivals Dortmund.

And I didn't say lots of autonomy I'm saying the final say on whether they should try to sign a player or not.

Lot's of the process between initial identification and signing that would have gone to other people including veto if the finances spiralled.

Klopp did an excellent job at Dortmund and he was my first choice to be Liverpool boss. I have no doubt he will be a success here if backed.

But I think people are adding things he didn't do at Dortmund and portraying it like it was a Leicester style budget and fairytale.

You still need to spend and buy well and take risks. Relative to the competition you face in your domestic league to achieve consistent success.

Other than name recognition what do people actually know of Monchi and Zorc. For a start their roles are different at their respective clubs so depending on who you signed would depend on how you structured everything.

Would people expect Monchi to come in and replicate what he does at Sevilla, if so it would require a complete change in supporter expectations and a fair amount of patience for it to work or , as we see with Klopp, at the first sign of trouble do we demand he changes everything.

Would you be happy if he came in and we bought 4 players you'd never heard of because in 2 years time they couldnbe world beaters or are we going to be on those players backs because they aren't world beaters now.

Would we be happy that we didn't sign the forums flavour of the month because based on the numbers Monchi thinks what we percieve to be aninferior player is a better fit for what we're trying to do.

I have no problems with the idea behind an appointment like Monchi, my concern would be us.

Other than name recognition what do people actually know of Monchi and Zorc. For a start their roles are different at their respective clubs so depending on who you signed would depend on how you structured everything.

Would people expect Monchi to come in and replicate what he does at Sevilla, if so it would require a complete change in supporter expectations and a fair amount of patience for it to work or , as we see with Klopp, at the first sign of trouble do we demand he changes everything.

Would you be happy if he came in and we bought 4 players you'd never heard of because in 2 years time they couldnbe world beaters or are we going to be on those players backs because they aren't world beaters now.

Would we be happy that we didn't sign the forums flavour of the month because based on the numbers Monchi thinks what we percieve to be aninferior player is a better fit for what we're trying to do.

I have no problems with the idea behind an appointment like Monchi, my concern would be us.

The problem with bringing in Monchi is twofold. Firstly clubs increase the price when we come in for a player because they know the Premier League is flush with cash. There's no way he'd get the same deals he did for Sevilla for us. We'd be paying at least double for the same players.

Secondly he brings in lots of South American players, the work permit rules are much easier for La Liga than they are here with the FA.  

Also as an aside, he'd have to navigate FSG, who'll hamper his ability to do his job by setting arbitrary restrictions on him like demanding payers be within a certain age range or requiring them to have Premier League experience.