You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

FSG have continually sold our best players year in year out for profit and they were ruthlessly sold for profit in pretty much every instance. Besides Mascherano wasn't sold at a profit, he was sold at a loss and he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world when we sold him.

Last season it was Suarez, this season it's Sterling, next season it's going to be Coutinho, the season after Ibe possibly? I can't credit owners that put in money when the money they put in is from the sales of our best players, it's still a sell to buy policy regardless of how you look at it.

Whether the player wanted to go is irrelevant 'professional footballer in wanting to win things shocker', that's why they leave because there is no ambition at this football club barre hoping we scrape top 4. There's a lot of hot air to pander to the RAWK portion of the fan base and droning on about our history, but theres hardly any footballing decisions that warrant respect for trying to get us back to that top table. Firmino is a statement of intent i suppose, but we always seem to add one exciting player when one goes out the door so the net result is usually standing still.

They bought the club after Mascherano was sold.

I've never looked at the spends/net spends/players sold etc but surely Arenal are what we should be aspiring too?

It would seem Wenger has the backing of the board but more often than not he chooses to develop what he has. This may mean the odd season of under performing (often finishing above us)

Above that your looking at Sugar Daddy's or United's current system which is increasingly taking them down the Galactico route. This can work in the short term as no matter how you try and polish that turd- Madrid will always be sunnier than Manchester. I'm glad we aren't playing that game as it will all come crashing down.

In a way I see parallels with us and United under Ron Atkinson (don't laugh those that remember)

Every year they threatened to be their year- each year they squandered big money on players, clinging on to our coat tails.

I remember the summer they signed Danny Wallace, Neil Webb and Mike Phelan- they beat Arsenal 4-1 on the opening day- the press went crazy- they then capitulated and nearly went down.

At some point Slur/Utd suddenly either got very lucky or got very good at identifying good players- in quick succession they signed Pallister, Bruce, Schmeichal, Irwin, Keane, Cantona, Kanchelskis etc.

We patiently await our moment of getting lucky or just getting bloody good at signing good players.

We don't need new owners to achieve it- just good judgement allied with a bit of luck

Spot on mate.
  • Upvote 1

Spurs have bested us in the league nearly every season? I dont understand what you mean, they havent finished above us that often.

Just five of the last six seasons. Not that it's a concern, they're currently about as ambitious as us. Perhaps they're concerning themselves with stadium funding.

The Arsenal model?They moved to a new 60k stadium on adjacent land almost a decade ago, we are building a new stand.They appointed a manager who had twelve years experience and had won a league title and three cups on appointment, we appointed Brendan.It is difficult to see how Man U’s policy of buying the cream of world talent, combined with a vastly experienced manager with an enviable record of winning things, will send them backwards. It is also brave to describe the most successful domestic manager in modern sport as lucky.I agree that we need to get lucky in signing players, the dead certs will plump for the big money, CL football, and winning honours.I disagree that a change of ownership could not improve our fortunes ( it could also send them further backwards). Good judgement? If you want it you sign the best manager and CEO you can afford. We haven’t.Looks like lady luck then.[/quot

I'm not labelling Fergusan as lucky- far from it- but something kicked in and gave him the impetus to go from clinging to his job and signing duffers to building an empire as they started to sign very good players in the likes of Schmeical and Kanchelsks for small fees.

The wages FSG are willing to pay seems to be part of the problem with our recruitment.

Lots of enquiries made last year re Cavani/Sanchez but we likely wouldn't get close on wages.

City had to offer their mercs a shit load more than they should have done to get them to come when they were building their squad.

I think FSG underestimated this when they came in sadly. Some of the shit we have bought is because its all we could on our wages. Arsenal however did the limited wage structure thing miles better than us.

Stadium wise I don't particularly see the issue with building up to 58k (assuming they do the Annie Road) rather than building a new ground.

The wages FSG are willing to pay seems to be part of the problem with our recruitment...

Stadium wise I don't particularly see the issue with building up to 58k (assuming they do the Annie Road) rather than building a new ground.

To be fair to FSG the wages we pay are what we can reasonably afford, and some of the wages we have paid (Glen Johnson, Meireles) have been far too high.

My problem with the stadium is three fold. Firstly, every season we delay we are another £50m behind Man U and Arsenal in gate revenue. Secondly, when we have finished ( assuming the ARE is rebuilt which is no given) we just end up with a half new, half old stadium, time bombing us for the future. Thirdly, with our unambitious plane we actually go backwards as West am and Spurs move, and Chelsea redevelop.

The big advantage that LFC has, the second best historic home average league attendance in England, has been systematically squandered in the PL era by successive LFC ownerships.

To be fair to FSG the wages we pay are what we can reasonably afford, and some of the wages we have paid (Glen Johnson, Meireles) have been far too high.

My problem with the stadium is three fold. Firstly, every season we delay we are another £50m behind Man U and Arsenal in gate revenue. Secondly, when we have finished ( assuming the ARE is rebuilt which is no given) we just end up with a half new, half old stadium, time bombing us for the future. Thirdly, with our unambitious plane we actually go backwards as West am and Spurs move, and Chelsea redevelop.

The big advantage that LFC has, the second best historic home average league attendance in England, has been systematically squandered in the PL era by successive LFC ownerships.

While i agree with that i put nearly all the blame of that on Moores and Coco. 

They farted around for years eventually coming up with a 55k version of the Reebok in the park, and then sold to Cancer and Aids. For fucks sake.

By the time FSG arrived I just don't think the finances for building a stadium vs doing up Anfield was ever going to add up. 

Spuds are financing theirs via expensive land values, building around the site and an NFL deal while WH have lucked into the deal of the century. (Though i would never want us in that piece of shit mish mash stadium with a track they're going to have)

If we were going to build one the time has passed. FSG are doing the best with a bad situation. I do take issue with them using a goalpost truss making corner expansions in the future incredibly hard to do. That is short sited. Whether that is because of the extra height from doing it cantilever or whether it's them being cheap i don't know.

Also whoever made the decision to do up and sell the houses on Skerries road when the club owned nearly all of them at one point was an absolute fucking tool. With a properly renovated Kemlyn we could have gone to 65k which would have been perfect and i'd be able to sit in the lower without my knees being crushed. The Kop is untouchable because of the road. Not a lot can be done there..

They could be a lot worse.

But if they spent a small fraction of their spending on paying top wages to attract top people to run the club they'd save a lot of money in the long run and we'd be far better.

• Upvote 3

Guest Super Sub

They could be a lot worse.

But if they spent a small fraction of their spending on paying top wages to attract top people to run the club they'd save a lot of money in the long run and we'd be far better.

This is probably my only gripe with them and that is they could quite easily I I get better people in to scout players.

Whilst I agree with all of that I think we could be considerably better if they had no philosophy at all. No impact whatsoever on what happens with the playing side. Just give the manager £30m net p/a, three year deal, here are your objectives, fuck them up and you're gone. Buy who you want, 18, 28, or 38 year olds, we're not arsed. If you want to spend more on wages then it comes out of the transfer budget or vice versa. Full autonomy and full accountability. No transfer committee, no director of football, just a top CEO that understands the sport, decent scouts, and an experienced manager.

If there is to be any "philosophy" from above it should be to try and convince the manager not to buy eight players every summer, to only buy players that improve the first team, and to use the academy to bulk the squad.

The league is pretty shit. Yeah, the four teams above us spend more money, but often on complete shite. Especially the two Manchester clubs. It really wouldn't take much more than a bit of competency to crack the top four.

Can't argue against the principle mate and knowing fuck all about football is a good reason for not having some half arsed football philosophy. What you suggest though is predicated on them finding competent people to identify players ,manage the team and spend millions every year with a reasonable expectation of success. I wouldn't trust them to do that .

If we could roll the dice with new owners I would probably take the chance. It's a slow death with FSG 

• Upvote 2

What sort of fucking crank would say something like ' The big advantage that LFC has, the second best historic home average league attendance in England, has been systematically squandered in the PL era by successive LFC ownerships.'

While i agree with that i put nearly all the blame of that on Moores and Coco. 

They farted around for years eventually coming up with a 55k version of the Reebok in the park, and then sold to Cancer and Aids. For fucks sake.

By the time FSG arrived I just don't think the finances for building a stadium vs doing up Anfield was ever going to add up. 

Spuds are financing theirs via expensive land values, building around the site and an NFL deal while WH have lucked into the deal of the century. (Though i would never want us in that piece of shit mish mash stadium with a track they're going to have)

If we were going to build one the time has passed. FSG are doing the best with a bad situation. I do take issue with them using a goalpost truss making corner expansions in the future incredibly hard to do. That is short sited. Whether that is because of the extra height from doing it cantilever or whether it's them being cheap i don't know.

Also whoever made the decision to do up and sell the houses on Skerries road when the club owned nearly all of them at one point was an absolute fucking tool. With a properly renovated Kemlyn we could have gone to 65k which would have been perfect and i'd be able to sit in the lower without my knees being crushed. The Kop is untouchable because of the road. Not a lot can be done there..

Think the Olympic Stadium has been rebuilt to include retractable seating that will go over most of the running track. Point is, west ham have been given a massive leg up at the taxpayers expense.

They spent about 200m to usurp us and challenge for titles, we've spent near 200m in the last 12 months to go backwards.

They spent £330m net on transfers in 3 years to break into the top 4. Our net spend in the last 3 years is less than £100m. That's not factoring in the huge difference in wages, either.

Think the Olympic Stadium has been rebuilt to include retractable seating that will go over most of the running track. Point is, west ham have been given a massive leg up at the taxpayers expense.

Yeah the retractable seating is still gonna be bad. There's a huge gap between the two tiers etc. It's gonna be pretty naff but they're getting huge corporate facilities for basically free. Whoever managed to do the deal was a genius.

• 4 weeks later...

They're a lot richer:

Two years of success broadcasting England’s Premier League proved a basic truth to NBC Sports: It would have to pay a lot more to keep carrying the league’s games.

Now it will. Under a six-year agreement announced Monday that starts next season and is worth about $1 billion, NBC retained the rights to the Premier League through the 2021-22 season.

They've been drooling about all that American money there for the taking since they bought the club, in fact it's why they bought the club in the first place.

Invest lots of that money in the team and we may be on to something.

They're a lot richer:

They've been drooling about all that American money there for the taking since they bought the club, in fact it's why they bought the club in the first place.

Invest lots of that money in the team and we may be on to something.

How much of that money do we get, and how is it distributed?

Problem with all these deals is people see the headline figures and then it's a race to spend it. Reality is it soon get's eaten up.

You look at transfer fee's this summer for middling to lower half prem clubs and especially in the Championship

Relatively modest spenders are spending 10 million plus on one player, championship clubs chasing promotion are spending, or trying to spend, similar.

Bristol City are trying to sign Dwight Gayle for 6m rising to 8m.

By the time the deal has kicked in costs have already rocketed and the increase has little impact.