You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

26 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'll be honest I did think his skill set would suit a more central role than full back , but the rate of his progress this season has been nothing short of outstanding & the only worry on the horizon is him becoming England's first choice defender & its attendant woes.

Has he played a senior competitive game for England yet?  If not, we could lobby for Gambia to call him up.

The kid is only 21, but looks like he's played in that position for years. Unbelievably good this season, I presume assisted by the fact he's playing alongside and learning from the best CB in the world, but the talent this lad has is fantastic to watch. He's made that position his. He's so cool on the ball, makes great saving tackles, shows no fear (which in itself is impressive given the injuries he's had), has fantastic pace, great decision making, and just looks the part. I really can't believe he's only 21!

Up until Saturday I still thought Dejan was only match fitness away from reclaiming his position. Not now though, he just gets a little better which each passing game. The current pair compliment each other so well that it would be reckless to break up the partnership.

Gomez has made a fair few mistakes, I can't think of one flawless game so far, even on Saturday he was by far the slowest to react to Kantes quick free kick. What separates Gomez from Lovren is Joe seems to be lucky, his mistakes have gone unpunished. I'd rather a lucky player any day of the week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, No2 said:

Up until Saturday I still thought Dejan was only match fitness away from reclaiming his position. Not now though, he just gets a little better which each passing game. The current pair compliment each other so well that it would be reckless to break up the partnership.

Gomez has made a fair few mistakes, I can't think of one flawless game so far, even on Saturday he was by far the slowest to react to Kantes quick free kick. What separates Gomez from Lovren is Joe seems to be lucky, his mistakes have gone unpunished. I'd rather a lucky player any day of the week.

Jesus.  Your nonsense about Mr Becker makes sense now this.

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Jesus.  Your nonsense about Mr Becker makes sense now this.

I don't think I've typed a word about our keeper but do carry on.

Edit - I do have one post and it's complimentary to our keeper and defence so I have no idea what you're on about.

Edited by No2

15 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He absolutely was NOT a shit right back. Even if he is better at CB. 

He's an ok full back but a superstar full back compared to Morono.

Anyway,back to his CB role. If you are trying to pass an exam or a test and you come up short because your tutors or teaching staff are not very good themselves then you would look for better teachers and so step forward Mr Van Dijk and Mr Alisson Becker. Gomez is getting much better because those around him are much better too. If we had to play him regularly alongside 'the world's best defender' I think we'd notice him being dragged down a bit even if his performances were not bad at all. Klopp has played a blinder getting in Alisson and VVD to help TAA and Gomez along and compliment Robbo. We've gone from probably the worst defence in the top 6 or 7 to the best,in my view. It should also be noted that Alisson had a blinder in stopping those two one on ones when he had not a lot else to do. Clemence-esque.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Absolute bollocks! 

3 hours ago, No2 said:

I don't think I've typed a word about our keeper but do carry on.

Edit - I do have one post and it's complimentary to our keeper and defence so I have no idea what you're on about.

Apologies, I got you confused with Mr Pink for some reason, my bad.  

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Absolute bollocks! 

Obviously I don't agree. It was my opinion that Klopp would bring back Lovren as soon as he was ready, not that I agreed with it. I think Gomez has done enough to change the managers mind but I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if Lovren returns and stays in.

On the Gomez mistakes piece, I stand over that. He has made 4 or 5 mistakes that could have led to heads falling off, thankfully his teammates and a bit of luck (Lucas Moira of the post) have bailed him out. It's the nature of the beast that mistakes that lead to goals are analysed much more than those that don't. Robertson's defending for Willian's 1 on 1 is over looked even though it was worse than TAA's defending for the goal. 

None of the above is me being critical of the player, I've been a massive fan since the first time Rogers picked him and think he has the potential to be as good as big Virgil.