You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

The issue here, is not that VVD is not near the level he was at last season and has started the season slow(like a few in the team), but that people can't see that and for some reason they just don't want to recognise it.

Its quite evident watching him he's not at full chat just yet and I dare say he and Klopp would say the same. The massive positive is, is that Gomez has got off to flyer and, as mentioned, has been our best performing centre back this season so far with not just his intervention play but also his positioning off the ball and his reading of the game. Why people want to detract from that and believe that VVD is in some way un-touchable, is a bit odd, seeing as many are saying the same thing - he's(VVD) not fully on his game.

No way man.

Virgil didn’t have the best game against Leicester, but he was pretty much flawless in our first three games.

The issue here, is not that VVD is not near the level he was at last season and has started the season slow(like a few in the team), but that people can't see that and for some reason they just don't want to recognise it.

Its quite evident watching him he's not at full chat just yet and I dare say he and Klopp would say the same. The massive positive is, is that Gomez has got off to flyer and, as mentioned, has been our best performing centre back this season so far with not just his intervention play but also his positioning off the ball and his reading of the game. Why people want to detract from that and believe that VVD is in some way un-touchable, is a bit odd, seeing as many are saying the same thing - he's(VVD) not fully on his game.

Honestly baffling. We’ve conceded one goal. When he’s called upon he commands the defence and wins every single header within a 10 yard radius. He made Benteke look like a 5 ft child. Hes hitting cross field passes like Gerrard and inspiring confidence in a young centre half the same way Lovren began playing out of his skin when he arrived last season. He’s basically carried on where he left off last season.

No player is infallible and he will get beaten like he did against Leicester for the Gomez block but that also happened last season as well anyway with a few mistakes early on. I genuinely can’t believe what I read sometimes.

This is not to criticize VvD as he's generally been good this season, especially against Palace, but Gomez bailed him out against Leicester and was the most impressive central defender against Brighton. West Ham doesn't really count as they had nothing to do.

For me, Gomez has been the better of the two this season. Doesn't mean he's the better defender, although it would be pretty incredible if he could become that, just he's been better thus far. 

• Upvote 1

Everyones favourite mentalist...

"Liverpool's Joe Gomez must be the 'find' of this season. The player's calmness in defence is matched only by his simplicity on the ball. The central defender refuses to complicate the game and that is what I find so adorable about his performances.

Three games played and no goals conceded? I thought I was hearing things, but that was the reality going into the game against Leicester City. Gomez has played in all those games But it was his performance against Leicester that was outstanding. This player is a must for England, and I am really sorry to have to say this and put so much pressure on the lad, but he is the nearest thing I have seen to Bobby Moore for years".

Everyones favourite mentalist...

"Liverpool's Joe Gomez must be the 'find' of this season. The player's calmness in defence is matched only by his simplicity on the ball. The central defender refuses to complicate the game and that is what I find so adorable about his performances.

Three games played and no goals conceded? I thought I was hearing things, but that was the reality going into the game against Leicester City. Gomez has played in all those games But it was his performance against Leicester that was outstanding. This player is a must for England, and I am really sorry to have to say this and put so much pressure on the lad, but he is the nearest thing I have seen to Bobby Moore for years".

Crooks?

I have seen Gomez getting some criticism for not making a passing angle for the goal we conceded on the weekend.

I mean, he really doesn't have much chance to do so does he.

He's even pointing to tell Alisson to go long.

I don't think Gomez can take any blame for that goal, it's all on Alisson, surely.

6a1f681ccb0fd78d8cdf580f1c2ecaf1.gif