You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

That last ditch tackle was wow, Carragher-esque? With the reading of the game of a dare I say it, a Hansen and he moved across the pitch like a Lawrenson.

Ok, I may be getting slightly a bit ahead of meself here, but there is really something to work with here and I believe Klopp is the manager in the right place at the right time, to develop it.

On current form, the best center back at the club. 

That last ditch tackle was wow, Carragher-esque? With the reading of the game of a dare I say it, a Hansen and he moved across the pitch like a Lawrenson.

Ok, I may be getting slightly a bit ahead of meself here, but there is really something to work with here and I believe Klopp is the manager in the right place at the right time, to develop it.

Yes, you are getting ahead of yourself. On current form, and in absolute terms, VVD Ian just the best CB at the club but the best in the country.

Yes, you are getting ahead of yourself. On current form, and in absolute terms, VVD Ian just the best CB at the club but the best in the country.

Surely this then makes Gomez, on current form, the best centre back in the country. He's certainly outperforming VVD currently. Which is a major positive. 

Surely this then makes Gomez, on current form, the best centre back in the country. He's certainly outperforming VVD currently. Which is a major positive.

No. He’s not and isn’t. VVD has been far better than him in three out of the four games we’ve played this season. He had a great match, let’s not get ahead of ourselves and start making out he’s something he isn’t.

Gomez was brilliant yesterday and has done well in the other matches.

Van Dijk is obviously still a far better player, and not least he’s irreplacable to our team.

Lumping the ball into our box was enough to scare the shit out of us for ten years until Hyypia arrived. Then back to the same after Sami left, until VVD was brought in. They both transformed our defence, which of course the current version of Gomez is quite far from capable of.

Gomez has been great but you’re losing the plot if you think he’s been better than Van Dijk even in yesterday’s game just because he got Van Dijk out of a jam with a superb block. Van Dijk has made us near impenetrable from crosses, free kicks or corners. He just wins fucking EVERYTHING. How many times over the years have we flaked out from a last minute free kick or corner. He won the late one against Palace to kill the game for Mane to score and he won the one yesterday as well.

Gomez is doing very well handling the strikers running scared of Van Dijk. It doesn’t change the fact that even then Van Dijk is still stamping his authority on games. How many times do you see us catch opponents offside from free kicks. It feels like every single one and it comes from having this cunt fucking roaring at everyone to not drop and they’ve got the confidence to do so because they’ve got the man on the pitch they can rely on.

He’s honestly our most important signing in decades.

• Upvote 5

While Van Dijk was inanely caught in no-mans land after his horrendous back pass to Becker - literally rooted to the centre of goal, unable to react to anything going on around him - Gomez was like lightning trying to stop the actual shot from going in.

No defender is perfect, but Gomez is going to be great cover for the slow ponderous VVD this season. Thank christ we’ve got him.

While Van Dijk was inanely caught in no-mans land after his horrendous back pass to Becker - literally rooted to the centre of goal, unable to react to anything going on around him - Gomez was like lightning trying to stop the actual shot from going in.

No defender is perfect, but Gomez is going to be great cover for the slow ponderous VVD this season. Thank christ we’ve got him.

My mistake - on closer inspection, it was Robertson who covered a shit load of ground to get to the far post. Gomez was at the near post.

Christ lads does it have to be one of our centre backs is better than the other one can't we just be happy that we seem to have two of them in pretty good form and developing a decent partnership let's be happy that the centre back pairing is settled and a million miles away from the mess that is those bastards further up the East Lancs.

• Upvote 1

It’s honestly still surprising the level of how thick some cunts can actually be.

• Upvote 1

Sarcasm,shirley?

Christ lads does it have to be one of our centre backs is better than the other one can't we just be happy that we seem to have two of them in pretty good form and developing a decent partnership let's be happy that the centre back pairing is settled and a million miles away from the mess that is those bastards further up the East Lancs.

The issue here, is not that VVD is not near the level he was at last season and has started the season slow(like a few in the team), but that people can't see that and for some reason they just don't want to recognise it.

Its quite evident watching him he's not at full chat just yet and I dare say he and Klopp would say the same. The massive positive is, is that Gomez has got off to flyer and, as mentioned, has been our best performing centre back this season so far with not just his intervention play but also his positioning off the ball and his reading of the game. Why people want to detract from that and believe that VVD is in some way un-touchable, is a bit odd, seeing as many are saying the same thing - he's(VVD) not fully on his game.