You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

He's a good player and he's doing very well this season. He's growing in leadership too, as much as such a thing can be observed from afar.

I'm still not sure on the midfield balance when he plays with Can and that's a conundrum to be solved for the longer term. The solution will be more games together to improve, or possibly a shock departure for one or the other. If it comes to that my money is on Can leaving, with someone very good coming in to replace him. Bit of a dramatic prediction but trying to expand the boundaries of the usual Henderson conversation with something that I think is plausible.

Lols, of course he is...

He is, I think it should be me LOLing.

Come on then, show me some clips of these amazing Hamann passes.  Because I can find plenty from Henderson.

Hamann was a great player - he was not a great passer, far from it.

He would make simple basic passes.  It is fine, that was his job.  But he didn't have the passing range of Henderson.  

How many of them were in a panic and put the teammate in trouble?

Not nearly as many as those pinged at teammates ankles by Sakho last season, thankfully.

Henderson clearly has his limitations, but he's doing well this season.

All very subjective anyway, isn't it? We all have our favourites/scapegoats who we won't hear a bad/good word about.

Normally I'd want an alpha-male type of captain, as leading the gang comes naturally. Don't think Hendo should be burdened with the job. Our problem is: Who else?

In a way I like his interview after the derby branding Barkly as a nice guy and the tackle as just bad timing. It’s in tune with his personality, and he’s not trying to be anyone else but himself.

Imagine Barkly had tackled Souness that way, and then imagine Graeme saying the same thing as Hendo. It’s just unthinkable. A public castration right there on the field followed by a Barkly pie being on the menu next match day would’ve been more likely.

Normally I'd want an alpha-male type of captain, as leading the gang comes naturally. Don't think Hendo should be burdened with the job. Our problem is: Who else?

In a way I like his interview after the derby branding Barkly as a nice guy and the tackle as just bad timing. It’s in tune with his personality, and he’s not trying to be anyone else but himself.

Imagine Barkly had tackled Souness that way, and then imagine Graeme saying the same thing as Hendo. It’s just unthinkable. A public castration right there on the field followed by a Barkly pie being on the menu next match day would’ve been more likely.

Agree with all that. However, Souness would miss more games through suspension these days than Sturridge does through injury.

Henderson is OK as captain,  He's no Gerrard but who is

My issue with him is that he's a fantastic skillful  player when he lets himself go but far to often he's checking back in crab mode and leaving to the likes of Lovren  to try and make a telling pass. He would be a beast if he drove at defenses more and committed players,  Stevie used to do that and if Henderson sorted his head out he could too   

He is, I think it should be me LOLing.

Come on then, show me some clips of these amazing Hamann passes. Because I can find plenty from Henderson.

Hamann was a great player - he was not a great passer, far from it.

He would make simple basic passes. It is fine, that was his job. But he didn't have the passing range of Henderson.

Passing ability isn't just the technique in striking the ball, it's also the ability to choose the right pass... and Didi was miles better in that department than Hendo is.

Hendo's passing range isn't really that great to be honest. He misplaces a lot of the more adventurous ones. Didi's decision making in making the right pass was tremendous. When he received the ball under pressure, he wouldn't have just passed it back straight where it came from, he would've assessed the situation and selected the right pass, sometimes with subtle footwork.

He probably could've pinged a diagonal ball after a diagonal ball out to an overlapping fullback, but he had Gerrard alongside him.

Do you think Rooney is a better passer than Roy Keane was?

there should be a stat for disposals. they have it in aussie rules and you get loads of points in aussie ff for players just touching the ball. you should also get points for possession, touches, passes in premier league ff.

football has evolved it's not just about goals assists and clean sheets anymore.

there should be a stat for disposals. they have it in aussie rules and you get loads of points in aussie ff for players just touching the ball. you should also get points for possession, touches, passes in premier league ff.

football has evolved it's not just about goals assists and clean sheets anymore.

Yeah I think AFL Supercoach is a bit more advanced than Fantasy PL, especially in the way they use statistics. However I think the scoring for goals and points is undervalued in Supercoach, cos typically to win it you need a team of midfielders.

Henderson is OK as captain, He's no Gerrard but who is

My issue with him is that he's a fantastic skillful player when he lets himself go but far to often he's checking back in crab mode and leaving to the likes of Lovren to try and make a telling pass. He would be a beast if he drove at defenses more and committed players, Stevie used to do that and if Henderson sorted his head out he could too

I agree with that. It was evident early on on Monday that he didn't want to give the ball away so was playing it safe in fear of a loose pass to the blues closing down. As the game progressed and Everton regressed into their own half he started to play the ball forward more regularly.

Henderson is OK as captain,  He's no Gerrard but who is

My issue with him is that he's a fantastic skillful  player when he lets himself go but far to often he's checking back in crab mode and leaving to the likes of Lovren  to try and make a telling pass. He would be a beast if he drove at defenses more and committed players,  Stevie used to do that and if Henderson sorted his head out he could too   

Klopp's changing \ changed him into a number 6 so he's not got the freedom (for want of a better word) to go on foraging runs like Stevie.

• Upvote 2

He's still absolute crap on the ball, but he's doing a good job in his role. Contrary to what I was thinking previously, holding midfield seems to suit him the best because he doesn't have to do anything complicated and can just give it to the play-makers and get out of the way.

I don't think I'll ever rate him, but I don't think he can be criticized for his play this season.

• Downvote 1

I'm not so sure. The way I see it, a holding mid can be slow in terms of top speed, but needs to be able to anticipate what's going to happen and be mobile enough to pass quickly and cover those first few yards in a snap. That's pretty much the opposite of Can's game, he's got many good attributes but he's more of a locomotive that takes time to get going. Plus, I'm not seeing the positional awareness in his game, though he's still young.

Agree with this. Also the deepest midfield role requires a very low rate of misplaced passes. It's about decision making and playing at low risk most of the time. This doesn't suit Can in my opinion, maybe it will when he gets more experienced.

Not nearly as many as those pinged at teammates ankles by Sakho last season, thankfully.

Henderson clearly has his limitations, but he's doing well this season.

All very subjective anyway, isn't it? We all have our favourites/scapegoats who we won't hear a bad/good word about.

Everyone has an agenda.  Be careful.

Klopp's changing \ changed him into a number 6 so he's not got the freedom (for want of a better word) to go on foraging runs like Stevie.

Exactly. No point comparing him to Gerrard when Gerrard only played half a season in that role.

Watching a 35 year old Alonso boss the midfield to this morning makes it hard to get excited about Henderson. The vision, ability to turn quickly, feint directions is lacking. His stamina is incredible and makes up for a lot though. There was a part of the game against Everton where he put in 7 or 8 sprints in 30 seconds to keep the press going.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)