You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

If we had a team full of Hendersons we wouldn't be sitting around discussing if we might potentially make the top four, the outcome wouldn't ever be in doubt. As for your point above, Henderson's far more disciplined than Stevie ever was, ever considered that he may not be playing hollywood balls & scoring thirty yarders not because he doesn't have the ability, but rather because he's a team player? I can't think of a more fitting captain for a club with ambitions like ours, all you haters just be sky generation mongs who judge the worth of a player based off his highlights reel  alone.

#SplendoHendo2016

Im on board with this #SplendoHendo2016

• Upvote 3

What's to do love? Didn't have you down as being the gentle soul what with you calling me a cunt. No worries.

Your post was piss poor rattling on about shIte you're supposing and guessing. Henderson can only be judged by what we see on the pitch. How any red can believe we will kick on with him being central to it is fucking delusional.

I work on sites with a lot of reds, toffs and mancs. Always plenty of banter going on. I can always hold my own. toffs are easy, mancs tougher. They've started becoming dirty cunts as every time I get the upper hand they throw up the same old shout. JORDAN HENDERSON LIVERPOOL CAPTAIN. Raucous laughter. I have to agree. It's embarrassing. As we say around these parts. He's fucking last.

Its quite difficult to read that post but I will try my best to reply. Back when JH first signed with LFC there were several articles including commentary from then senior players about how impressed they were with his attitude and professionalism. This makes sense when added to the fact that he is now our club captain and is held in very high regard by all the managers he has played under. His best campaign was 2014/2015, where stats wise and performance wise he was one of our most effective players. 

A league campaign is 38 x 90 minute, mostly weekend games. There are another 6 days per week where the club captain is looked towards to act as a captain of the club and a person that younger players look to. For me, having the right attitude is equally important to having the ability, you dont have look much further than Balotelli to realise that. If young lads are seeing our club captain as being one of the hardest trainers at the club that attitude filters down. Its the same in any walk of life, football is no different.

Hendo still clearly has a lot to do to get back to the 14/15 performance levels, but the signs are there. If he can add that to his other attributes then we have a very solid club captain. Its just a pity that internet warriors cant see beyond their twitter follower counts.

• Upvote 2

I just want to support what Xherdan is saying here. Henderson is a good player and he has a great attitude. Last year was hindered by the heel injury so he shouldn't be judged on that.

I'm waiting for the midfield balance to settle down this season. It will probably be Can at the base, with Henderson and Wijnaldum a bit ahead, although maybe Lallana or even Coutinho could play there too, depending on how attacking the team will be. But we'll have to see what happens.

Henderson is here this season, he's come through some adversity, he's a decent player, and he's never shown anything less than a great attitude in representing our club. Is he as good as some of the luminaries we've had in the middle in the past? Of course not, but you can do that for every position if you want to have a moan.

If we can't find it in ourselves to support the captain of the club it's not good.

Perhaps in time Klopp will find a better player. Who knows, maybe in future we could have a middle three of Can, Dahoud, and Grujic, or something like that? But there are lots of ifs ands and buts before we get there,

Henderson is here and now. He's our captain, and he has my support.

• Upvote 3

Ok then I'm not gonna drag this out .( im old school so would prefer this debate sat in a pub than taking ages typing.)Besides Xherdan is struggling reading.

I stand by what I've said from early on about Henderson. In the fullness of time you will come to discover just how painfully less than average the current captain is.

The team Klopp inherited was seen by many to be devoid of any balls so you may be correct in assuming Hendo has been setting examples. Let's hope the newcomers don't have them removed.

This isn't about hating reds players, captain or not. I would love nothing more than to see him succeed. He has had plenty of time to change my opinion. He has failed

If we had a team full of Hendersons we wouldn't be sitting around discussing if we might potentially make the top four, the outcome wouldn't ever be in doubt. As for your point above, Henderson's far more disciplined than Stevie ever was, ever considered that he may not be playing hollywood balls & scoring thirty yarders not because he doesn't have the ability, but rather because he's a team player? I can't think of a more fitting captain for a club with ambitions like ours, all you haters just be sky generation mongs who judge the worth of a player based off his highlights reel alone.

#SplendoHendo2016

Plenty of shit midfielders are more disciplined than Gerrard was, you probably picked the only trait of which he was worse than Hendo. Gerrard was a better passer, a better tackler, had a better shot, was more versatile, scored more goals, took better set-piece, was better in the air, I could keep going but you get the point surely?

Plenty of shit midfielders are more disciplined than Gerrard was, you probably picked the only trait of which he was worse than Hendo. Gerrard was a better passer, a better tackler, had a better shot, was more versatile, scored more goals, took better set-piece, was better in the air, I could keep going but you get the point surely?

One of the two of you has.

• Upvote 1

Ok then I'm not gonna drag this out .( im old school so would prefer this debate sat in a pub than taking ages typing.)Besides Xherdan is struggling reading.

I stand by what I've said from early on about Henderson. In the fullness of time you will come to discover just how painfully less than average the current captain is.

The team Klopp inherited was seen by many to be devoid of any balls so you may be correct in assuming Hendo has been setting examples. Let's hope the newcomers don't have them removed.

This isn't about hating reds players, captain or not. I would love nothing more than to see him succeed. He has had plenty of time to change my opinion. He has failed

Henderson has been captain since June 2015 and due to his injury played 17 league games last season. That's not 'plenty of time'.

Its quite difficult to read that post but I will try my best to reply. Back when JH first signed with LFC there were several articles including commentary from then senior players about how impressed they were with his attitude and professionalism. This makes sense when added to the fact that he is now our club captain and is held in very high regard by all the managers he has played under. His best campaign was 2014/2015, where stats wise and performance wise he was one of our most effective players. 

A league campaign is 38 x 90 minute, mostly weekend games. There are another 6 days per week where the club captain is looked towards to act as a captain of the club and a person that younger players look to. For me, having the right attitude is equally important to having the ability, you dont have look much further than Balotelli to realise that. If young lads are seeing our club captain as being one of the hardest trainers at the club that attitude filters down. Its the same in any walk of life, football is no different.

Hendo still clearly has a lot to do to get back to the 14/15 performance levels, but the signs are there. If he can add that to his other attributes then we have a very solid club captain. Its just a pity that internet warriors cant see beyond their twitter follower counts.

You can't help yourself, can you?

Anyway, I am of the opinion that Henderson is not good enough ability wise as a player to be our captain. Never mind what he does behind the scenes, we are sorely lacking leadership on the pitch. His example of a goof work-rate is probably what Klopp admires, I would guess, but I don't think that's enough. How can anyone look at Henderson during a match, when our backs are against the wall and think "we can do this". Where is that inspiration coming from? He's not vocal enough, I can't see how he commands the respect of players, and he doesn't have the ability to inspire others through doing something himself. He's not brave enough to try anything inspiring.

Obviously I'm going to support him but despite being happy enough with parts of our summer transfer business, I think missing a LB and keeping Henderson on as captain are the two biggest clangers.

Oh, and I have literally no idea about a single football players twitter account.

His best season was alongside our greatest ever midfielder with Suarez, a fit Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling on fire and scoring for fun ahead of him. This probably distorted views on his ability and ceiling.

I've no doubts that he's a sound fella and a dedicated professional, but I'd rather have a bit of a dick in our midfield who actually drives us on and inspires those around him.

• Upvote 1

You can't help yourself, can you?

Anyway, I am of the opinion that Henderson is not good enough ability wise as a player to be our captain. Never mind what he does behind the scenes, we are sorely lacking leadership on the pitch. His example of a goof work-rate is probably what Klopp admires, I would guess, but I don't think that's enough. How can anyone look at Henderson during a match, when our backs are against the wall and think "we can do this". Where is that inspiration coming from? He's not vocal enough, I can't see how he commands the respect of players, and he doesn't have the ability to inspire others through doing something himself. He's not brave enough to try anything inspiring.

Obviously I'm going to support him but despite being happy enough with parts of our summer transfer business, I think missing a LB and keeping Henderson on as captain are the two biggest clangers.

Oh, and I have literally no idea about a single football players twitter account.

If you know anything about Twitter you can be absolutely sure that Henderson is inundated with Mong comments. If you dont, I can assure you that Henderson is inundated with Mong comments. 

Do you use Twitter mate? Some of the biggest LFC mongs on there have 10k plus followers.

There's a lad I follow on there called funboi or something like that, he sprouts the most shit about Liverpool ever, one week he has one opinion on someone then the next week has a different opinion and arguing with everyone saying the same as he was the week before. Crazy people waste so much time arguing on the Internet.

His best season was alongside our greatest ever midfielder with Suarez, a fit Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling on fire and scoring for fun ahead of him. This probably distorted views on his ability and ceiling.

I've no doubts that he's a sound fella and a dedicated professional, but I'd rather have a bit of a dick in our midfield who actually drives us on and inspires those around him.

And preferably doesn't need at least 3 touches and a 10 yard arc to turn on the ball when going deep and retrieving the ball off the centre half or goalie. That is if he hasn't had a panic attack, shit himself and give them it straight back. Which is most often the case.

Watching that Weigle kid at Dortmund effortlessly complete that particular manoeuvre in one movement with his head up and already sending the ball on it's way makes me slobber down my bib.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Watching that Weigle kid at Dortmund effortlessly complete that particular manoeuvre in one movement with his head up and already sending the ball on it's way makes me slobber down my bib.

The kid is good but I prefer Julian Brandt at Leverkeusen. Summat special that lad.

His team mate Jonathan Tah is a beast too. If / when we get shot of Sakho then we should be all over Tah.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)