Quantcast
Jordan Henderson: World, European and Premier League Winning Captain of Liverpool - Page 193 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
dennis tooth

Jordan Henderson: World, European and Premier League Winning Captain of Liverpool

29 minutes ago, Code said:

I see alot of people are saying Hendo had a good game against the mancs. I completely disagree.

He did not do any mistakes defensively, but the amount of times, he as a midfielder playing CB, passed the ball back to Alisson was doing my head in. 

It was not short passes either, but passes from high in the pitch when forward options would have been options. He also usually always went for the backpass instead of advancing 3-4 m, and breaking the first line when he had all the ime in the World to do exactly that.

He was playing CB like he is playing midfield, using Alisson as a CB interchanging passes, but it obviously did not work out. It was painful to watch.

Unless we sort this situation with playing two of the best midfielders in the league at CB, we are fucked.

It destroys our overall game and we are weakening two parts of our setup in the process. 

Im trying to find stats to show this, but have not found these passing stats yet.

Spot on this. I’m seeing Thiago getting the blame for slowing the game down yet how many times did we try and get him on the ball after the first 20 minutes. 

The amount of times Henderson

could have played an early pass only for him to panic at the first sign of a manc closing him down and firing it back to Alison was annoying me. 

He was doing it from the half way line ffs. 

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

How about finding some stats about how many times yer boy Mo gives the ball away 

Do you disagree with any of the things I wrote right now?

Not that Salah has got anything to do with this, but we should question why he keeps getting the ball with his back to the goal all the time and with a few defenders surroundingnhim? We know he hardly ever gets a free kick, no matter what happens, so why are we setting him up in those situations?

Salah as an individual is the least of our problems, together with Alisson. 

Thought he did a good job. A few nervous fannies were sure they were going to rip us up on the break. Didn't happen. 

33 minutes ago, Code said:

Do you disagree with any of the things I wrote right now?

Not that Salah has got anything to do with this, but we should question why he keeps getting the ball with his back to the goal all the time and with a few defenders surroundingnhim? We know he hardly ever gets a free kick, no matter what happens, so why are we setting him up in those situations?

Salah as an individual is the least of our problems, together with Alisson. 

Salah has plenty to do with it, how often does he track back?, how often does he intercept?, how often does he loose the ball? how often does he not pass? granted he's a great player but so is Henderson just for different reasons. Don't think Henderson has had the luxury of being in constant role this season but I'm sure he was up there last season as one of the best forward passers in the Prem? don't think there's much point in passing forward for the sake of it. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

I see alot of people are saying Hendo had a good game against the mancs. I completely disagree.

He did not do any mistakes defensively, but the amount of times, he as a midfielder playing CB, passed the ball back to Alisson was doing my head in. 

It was not short passes either, but passes from high in the pitch when forward options would have been options. He also usually always went for the backpass instead of advancing 3-4 m, and breaking the first line when he had all the ime in the World to do exactly that.

He was playing CB like he is playing midfield, using Alisson as a CB interchanging passes, but it obviously did not work out. It was painful to watch.

Unless we sort this situation with playing two of the best midfielders in the league at CB, we are fucked.

It destroys our overall game and we are weakening two parts of our setup in the process. 

Im trying to find stats to show this, but have not found these passing stats yet.

Nowhere near as painful as reading this. 

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Nowhere near as painful as reading this. 

Again, its all about understanding the game. Some do, some dont. 

Henderson at CB takes away so much from our game, it weakens us, that should be obvious for everybody. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Code said:

Henderson at CB takes away so much from our game, it weakens us, that should be obvious for everybody. 

And how is that Henderson's fault? 

10 minutes ago, Code said:

Repped for that gem.

Agree with Code == Understand the game. 

Disagree with Code == Don't understand the game.

Ergo I agree with Code on everything.

18 minutes ago, Code said:

Ignoring the condescending tone of your first paragraph, there is truth in your second paragraph.

However, because your 2nd paragraph is true, it does not make your assessment of Henderson's performance correct. He was one of our better players vs Man Utd.

Considering we were playing the best away team in the league who almost always score twice on the road, we did well to keep a clean sheet. And Henderson contributed well to that alongside everyone else at the back.

Watching Henderson and Fabinho stand watching as spectators whilst our midfield struggles to do what they are great at and what the team really needs is fucking maddening.

2 hours ago, Code said:

You are criticising Hendo's passing as safety first, however the stats show Fabinho does more of that at CB too. Both of them are playing out of position and Henderson especially is still new to that role. He has played less than 5 full games there, I think. So it makes sense for him to be a bit cautious with his passing for now.

It's not like midfield where if you lose the ball, you have center backs behind you to mop up. Lose the ball as a center back and you're more likely to give a clear run at goal. So calling Hendo out for it seems quite harsh. Maybe when he plays more games at CB and gets comfortable in the position, he'll make riskier decisions.

He is not really a guy who plays it forward on the deck bypassing the midfield. 

He is good at finding a runner into space, or looking up and seeing a switch of flanks - if those aren't on, he plays the fella closest to him. That is whether he is in midfield or at the back.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Hendo had a good game and cant be in two places at once.

This.

Not like Code to be contrary and shift the blame from our woeful forwards to a man who has shown leadership by filling in a vital position for the good of the team at his own expense! If you want to blame Hendo then it's Klopp who must take that bullet.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This.

Not like Code to be contrary and shift the blame from our woeful forwards to a man who has shown leadership by filling in a vital position for the good of the team at his own expense! If you want to blame Hendo then it's Klopp who must take that bullet.

Jesus, shifting blame?

It was something that annoyed me during the game, as a midfielder you would think Hendo would be able to perform this exact part of a CB’s game a bit better, Matip would do it and Van Dijk would do it. Gomez not so much, he lack the skill to do it. 

Go back to Liverpool-Chelsea game in 13/14, everyone blame Gertard for slipping, I did not. I pointed at Sakho, simply because he should have brought the ball with him 3-4 m forward into open space and by that bypassed  Chelsea’s first line.

Again, at the time I said Agger would do that, now I say that both Van Dijk and Matip would do that instead of playing it back to Alisson as much as Hendo did. By doing that we outnumber the opposition, by doing what Hendo did, we give them time to organize and get everyone behind the ball.

Like I said, Hendo did his job defensively, but there are a lot more to football than what you actually watch happening in front of you.

Maybe I put too much expectations on him because he’s a midfielder, but this is certainly the standard we need.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Jesus, shifting blame?

It was something that annoyed me during the game, as a midfielder you would think Hendo would be able to perform this exact part of a CB’s game a bit better, Matip would do it and Van Dijk would do it. Gomez not so much, he lack the skill to do it. 

Go back to Liverpool-Chelsea game in 13/14, everyone blame Gertard for slipping, I did not. I pointed at Sakho, simply because he should have brought the ball with him 3-4 m forward into open space and by that bypassed  Chelsea’s first line.

Again, at the time I said Agger would do that, now I say that both Van Dijk and Matip would do that instead of playing it back to Alisson as much as Hendo did. By doing that we outnumber the opposition, by doing what Hendo did, we give them time to organize and get everyone behind the ball.

Like I said, Hendo did his job defensively, but there are a lot more to football than what you actually watch happening in front of you.

Maybe I put too much expectations on him because he’s a midfielder, but this is certainly the standard we need.

When you play one of the best central midfielders in the country at centre back,at least one who has almost never played there,then there will be problems. The fact that we are actually keeping them out with a make shift central defence indicates a problem further forward.

• Upvote 3

On 20/01/2021 at 07:34, VladimirIlyich said:

When you play one of the best central midfielders in the country at centre back,at least one who has almost never played there,then there will be problems. The fact that we are actually keeping them out with a make shift central defence indicates a problem further forward.

I’m in complete agreement. I also think that the manager knows his hands are tied when it comes to solving the problem. Why? He can’t spend - not only to cover injuries, but to look to the future. Well, here’s a question for everyone: who is Henderson’s understudy? Who was bought to replace him in the near future?

Since the Burnley defeat I’ve thought about Henderson quite bit. Even Gerrard said about him "Teams can't function at Liverpool's level without a cog like Jordan Henderson."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Henderson is the key to it all.
9 years at Liverpool, Captain since 2015 - written off before the arrival of manager Rogers, and even Rogers told him ‘there’s a place at Fulham if you want it’

Hated by fans and given flak for so long, he has become the linchpin of our driving midfield, and now, having taken us to 3 European Cup finals, with 1 win and our first Premier League title in 30 yrs, not only has he had a number of injuries, but he’s been forced of late to play out of his key position.

Given his importance, and the history of his rise to prominence - 9 years of it -  it’s unforgivable that we have not been nurturing his replacement for our near term future. Unless ofc, we have?

If I’m wrong, and we’ve already acquired his probable replacement, then who is it? Is it Fabinho? If so, Fab should be in midfield and nowhere else regardless of CB injuries. Who else could it be? I have no idea? Minimino? Jones? 

Either our players fit the system, or the system adapts to new players, either way, Hendo is not going to be playing long term after a 9 yr career already, with injuries and a permanent disability ( plantar fasciitis? )

Does Klopp’s brief include a second generation team rising out of the ashes of the last 3 seasons? Questions questions.

• Upvote 1

On 24/01/2021 at 01:29, Red Shift said:

I’m in complete agreement. I also think that the manager knows his hands are tied when it comes to solving the problem. Why? He can’t spend - not only to cover injuries, but to look to the future. Well, here’s a question for everyone: who is Henderson’s understudy? Who was bought to replace him in the near future?

Since the Burnley defeat I’ve thought about Henderson quite bit. Even Gerrard said about him "Teams can't function at Liverpool's level without a cog like Jordan Henderson."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Henderson is the key to it all.
9 years at Liverpool, Captain since 2015 - written off before the arrival of manager Rogers, and even Rogers told him ‘there’s a place at Fulham if you want it’

Hated by fans and given flak for so long, he has become the linchpin of our driving midfield, and now, having taken us to 3 European Cup finals, with 1 win and our first Premier League title in 30 yrs, not only has he had a number of injuries, but he’s been forced of late to play out of his key position.

Given his importance, and the history of his rise to prominence - 9 years of it -  it’s unforgivable that we have not been nurturing his replacement for our near term future. Unless ofc, we have?

If I’m wrong, and we’ve already acquired his probable replacement, then who is it? Is it Fabinho? If so, Fab should be in midfield and nowhere else regardless of CB injuries. Who else could it be? I have no idea? Minimino? Jones? 

Either our players fit the system, or the system adapts to new players, either way, Hendo is not going to be playing long term after a 9 yr career already, with injuries and a permanent disability ( plantar fasciitis? )

Does Klopp’s brief include a second generation team rising out of the ashes of the last 3 seasons? Questions questions.

I think Klopp probably had plans and ideas beyond this season but the injuries and lacking the finance to solve them have made him look no further than week to week now.

48 minutes ago, Antynwa said:

I'm not overly fussed about Henderson's replacement because I'll stop supporting the club at the point he leaves

Mate, straight up - I am not sure if this is a joke. Is it?