You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

I wish he would just do the sensible thing and hand Lucas the captaincy. He's trying his best to fit into the role but it just all seems unnatural. And, I don't think it's doing his game any favours either. Would be best for him to just hand it over rather than the manager taking it off him, which I don't actually see happening and would hardly be ideal anyway.

While I agree in the context of the current team, our season is over bar the EL and have a suspicion next season's captain may not be at the club yet. Might be better just to let him see this one out.

While it's disappointing our captain didn't feel up to taking a penalty, I'd rather we gave them to players that did anyway. It's not working out for him at the moment and losing the captaincy might be what he needs, but he's obviously not going to lose it this season. That would be absolutely nuts.

Not that I think the captaincy means much anywhere. There's not many leaders in the English game. Seems to go more to the senior player or one that shouts the most.

That made me think twice about Lovren and his attitude. He missed but at least he had the balls to step up and take a pressure penalty.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not sure how he ended up as club captain, it is just another mind boggling Rodgers shit stain which needs cleaning from our undies. Nice enough lad but he is a very mediocre MF player, unfortunately with the likes of Lallana and Can he is in good company. 

Klopp has said that Milner was due to take the 5th penalty. Be that as it may, Henderson didn't impose himself on the match at all. It didn't help that the front 3 were all below par, but both Milner and Can had much better games than Henderson against City today.

That's very disappointing from Hendo. You'd want the captain of the club to relish the pressure not avoid it altogether.

When your best player over 120 minutes is the goalkeeper solely responsible for the opposition’s only goal, it’s fair to say that you have failed to produce a performance worthy of a cup final. Simon Mignolet’s only real competition for that ‘accolade’ was a combative midfielder playing out of position at centre-half. Liverpool’s perceived weaknesses were rare strengths on a day when their lack of real quality was painfully laid bare.

The first 83 minutes with not a single shot on target despite dominating possession against a sloppy Manchester City side will be Exhibit A in Jurgen Klopp’s campaign to make significant changes this summer. Significant not in terms of quantity – his comment that “seven sounds a lot” when discussing Liverpool’s previous summer business revealed much – but significant in terms of quality. This deeply average squad of players needs an upgrade.

Liverpool have a captain who would be a useful squad player at any of the clubs they should be battling for the title; they have a vice captain who was a useful squad player at one of those clubs. Together they do not have the vision and creativity of the man they have replaced as captain and player. Together they epitomise this Liverpool side. Honest, good professionals but not men to build a team around. They are career followers thrust into leadership.

Henderson touched the ball more times at Wembley than any other player on the pitch and yet I cannot recall any of those 107 touches. I remember some enthusiastic pointing, some vehement appealing and some excellent running after Philippe Coutinho when he scored his equaliser, but there’s a gap where memories of a captain’s performance in a cup final should be.

When your ‘leaders’ are so uninspiring, you almost forgive Coutinho for his anonymity before the goal, Roberto Firmino for his fade to grey after a fizzing start, Daniel Sturridge for being infuriatingly wasteful in possession and Milner for simply being Milner. Robbie Savage spoke about Liverpool’s vice-captain in glowing terms as a 7/10 player in a way that only a 6/10 player can. But Liverpool are not a 7/10 club and the fans have a right to expect better.

Firmino, Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge (when fit) are players worthy of a better Liverpool side, while Emre Can will undoubtedly improve under Klopp’s tutelage. But neither Henderson nor Milner will now become better footballers; they have peaked as willing runners, good professionals and all-round good guys. If there is room for both of them in a first-choice Liverpool side next season then Klopp has failed.

After inheriting a flawed squad in mid-season, Klopp was given a free pass that almost ended in an unlikely trophy. He almost succeeded where Brendan Rodgers failed with a combination of enthusiasm, energy and bear hugs; next season he will be judged on his own team’s recovery from extensive summer surgery. Scalpel please, nurse; there could be significant blood lost.

Sarah Winterburn

• Upvote 1

He's not good enough to start for us, I wouldn't even have him as a squad player and there's no way he should be captain imo.

Milner gets criticised but he is the elite version of Henderson, hendos good in most areas while Milner is very good.We need atleast 2 cms brought in over the summer and Henderson should be shown the door.

That's very disappointing from Hendo. You'd want the captain of the club to relish the pressure not avoid it altogether.

That makes no sense. If he is no good at penalties then he doesn't take one regardless of whether he's captain or not. It's a farcical argument.

It's not being a pussy. Would you rather he stepped up and missed anyway?

Yeah it shows his team mates he his their captain lead by example and all that, no matter what they say in public some of his team mates (and Klopp I expect) would have been waiting for him to step forward and say he will take one, but allegedly he never and that says it all for me captains don't sherk when it comes to penalty shoot out in finals it's not like he doesn't volunteer in normal matches (he was chosen taker when Gerrard wasn't on the pitch last season as Rodgers pointed out after Balotteli incident) For me he bottled it, i'd have more confidence in Henderson scoring than Lallana. But it doesn't make a difference to the result now its over but I feel it will make a bigger difference in the summer Klopp will be looking for a leader and Henderson proved its not him. 

• Upvote 1

Klopp will be looking for a leader and Henderson proved its not him.

Think Klopp got that already. He's given Henderson and the rest of the 'first' team every oppurtunity to distinguish themselves and they have failed. I get frustrated with Klopp sometimes for his willingness to stick with players who have nothing for him but on the other I've had all doubts and questions removed, especially about Henderson. He's not that good when he's good and isn't going to get any better.

When your best player over 120 minutes is the goalkeeper solely responsible for the opposition’s only goal, it’s fair to say that you have failed to produce a performance worthy of a cup final. Simon Mignolet’s only real competition for that ‘accolade’ was a combative midfielder playing out of position at centre-half. Liverpool’s perceived weaknesses were rare strengths on a day when their lack of real quality was painfully laid bare.

The first 83 minutes with not a single shot on target despite dominating possession against a sloppy Manchester City side will be Exhibit A in Jurgen Klopp’s campaign to make significant changes this summer. Significant not in terms of quantity – his comment that “seven sounds a lot” when discussing Liverpool’s previous summer business revealed much – but significant in terms of quality. This deeply average squad of players needs an upgrade.

Liverpool have a captain who would be a useful squad player at any of the clubs they should be battling for the title; they have a vice captain who was a useful squad player at one of those clubs. Together they do not have the vision and creativity of the man they have replaced as captain and player. Together they epitomise this Liverpool side. Honest, good professionals but not men to build a team around. They are career followers thrust into leadership.

Henderson touched the ball more times at Wembley than any other player on the pitch and yet I cannot recall any of those 107 touches. I remember some enthusiastic pointing, some vehement appealing and some excellent running after Philippe Coutinho when he scored his equaliser, but there’s a gap where memories of a captain’s performance in a cup final should be.

When your ‘leaders’ are so uninspiring, you almost forgive Coutinho for his anonymity before the goal, Roberto Firmino for his fade to grey after a fizzing start, Daniel Sturridge for being infuriatingly wasteful in possession and Milner for simply being Milner. Robbie Savage spoke about Liverpool’s vice-captain in glowing terms as a 7/10 player in a way that only a 6/10 player can. But Liverpool are not a 7/10 club and the fans have a right to expect better.

Firmino, Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge (when fit) are players worthy of a better Liverpool side, while Emre Can will undoubtedly improve under Klopp’s tutelage. But neither Henderson nor Milner will now become better footballers; they have peaked as willing runners, good professionals and all-round good guys. If there is room for both of them in a first-choice Liverpool side next season then Klopp has failed.

After inheriting a flawed squad in mid-season, Klopp was given a free pass that almost ended in an unlikely trophy. He almost succeeded where Brendan Rodgers failed with a combination of enthusiasm, energy and bear hugs; next season he will be judged on his own team’s recovery from extensive summer surgery. Scalpel please, nurse; there could be significant blood lost.

Sarah Winterburn

Sarah Winterburn knows.

Yeah it shows his team mates he his their captain lead by example and all that, no matter what they say in public some of his team mates (and Klopp I expect) would have been waiting for him to step forward and say he will take one, but allegedly he never and that says it all for me captains don't sherk when it comes to penalty shoot out in finals it's not like he doesn't volunteer in normal matches (he was chosen taker when Gerrard wasn't on the pitch last season as Rodgers pointed out after Balotteli incident) For me he bottled it, i'd have more confidence in Henderson scoring than Lallana. But it doesn't make a difference to the result now its over but I feel it will make a bigger difference in the summer Klopp will be looking for a leader and Henderson proved its not him. 

If you're not good at them you don't take them regardless of whether you're captain. It doesn't work like that.

If you're not good at them you don't take them regardless of whether you're captain. It doesn't work like that.

If he doesn't back himself to score a penalty the he's got no business posing as captain, he should resign the armband to someone more worthy, like Lucas.

• Upvote 3

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)