You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

I think unfortunately it's been offset by how much of a miss he has been in midfield for us during this tough time, but I think he's been excellent as a left sided centre back. Go as far as to say I think he's better there than Fabinho.

Also looking at Upamacano last night, how many centre halves are there out there who we could buy right now who are better?

I acknowledge of course we need a centre back so we can play him in midfield

He has developed into such an utterly exceptional player under Klopp. I remember vividly the 2017 United fixture at Anfield - typical Mourinho bore draw & being exasperated with Henderson just passing side to side harmlessly & endlessly for 90 minutes. Would never have imagined how much he'd kick on as a player in the 3 years since. I don't say it lightly but I think he's developed into a genuinely world class midfielder. I'm not sure there are many better all-rounders in the world (probably 2 or 3 come to mind).

Being much quicker than Fab, he's definitely better suited to play CB for us now that all of Vvd, Gomez and Matip are out. 

When Fab returns, I think he'll go into MF and Hendo will remain at CB. Can't see us gambling on a Kabak/Davies partnership. Hendo uses his leadership skills/vocality to good effect at the back as well. I'd rather go:

-----Trent--Kabak--Hendo--Robbo----

---------Thiago(Curtis)----Fab-----Gini-------

than

---Trent----Kabak--Davies---Robbo--

----Hendo-----Fab----Gini(Thiago/Curtis)

I think Gini/Thiago and Curtis have done well the last couple of games too, so not a disaster that Fab is still out. He'll have to earn his way back in imo.

His improvement really is remarkable, as recently as 0-0 at OT in 2019 there were still question marks about Hendo’s stature and status at the club. That goal against Southampton was a real epoch for him and he’s never looked back. His aura on the pitch and his quality on the pitch has markedly improved. He’s doing a phenomenal job at the back, I would never have envisaged he had that in his locker .

Point on his finishing, yes it definitely could be better. But I don’t think there’s many players in our history who could put together a more impressive collection of goals aesthetically, he’s scored some bangers for us. Namely: Chelsea away 16-

/17, City at home 14/15, Brighton 19/20, Palace this season, Swansea at home 13/14, notts county 13/14, Norwich at home 12/13 and his first for the club against Bolton was boss too.

Go ‘Ed Hendo.

It's quite unreal isn't it, we lose all three first team centre backs to season ending injuries, then our two midfielders that are capable of playing there get fucked too, with one of them possibly being out for the season.

Its pretty obvious what needs to be done here, we need to stop playing centre backs, there's clearly some sort of voodoo going on and honestly playing centre halfs doesnt seem to have stopped us shipping goals anyway. 

All jokes aside I expect Milner will be playing there soon enough and will probably require a hip replacement soon after.

30 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

That injury came because of him playing out of position imo.

He gets the ball in centre back position and rather play a pass into midfield he wants to drive and try to affect the game and make a play forward himself, he then ends up quickening to a sprint to get past their player and twang!

Very frustrating.

he was driving forward not because he was playing centre back, but because our midfield were absolutely shit - if they were doing their job, he wouldn't have to be doing a Steven Gerrard 2004 impression. For about 10 mins before he was injured he was probably our best attacking player. 

we also need to question did staying on aggravate the issue. i know the lad wanted to play on, but you don't need to be a doctor to know you don't run off an abductor injury, it can only go one way if you carry on playing. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)