You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

3 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Nowhere near as painful as reading this. 

Again, its all about understanding the game. Some do, some dont. 

Henderson at CB takes away so much from our game, it weakens us, that should be obvious for everybody. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Code said:

Repped for that gem.

Agree with Code == Understand the game. 

Disagree with Code == Don't understand the game.

Ergo I agree with Code on everything.

18 minutes ago, Code said:

Henderson at CB takes away so much from our game, it weakens us, that should be obvious for everybody. 

Ignoring the condescending tone of your first paragraph, there is truth in your second paragraph.

However, because your 2nd paragraph is true, it does not make your assessment of Henderson's performance correct. He was one of our better players vs Man Utd.

Considering we were playing the best away team in the league who almost always score twice on the road, we did well to keep a clean sheet. And Henderson contributed well to that alongside everyone else at the back.

2 hours ago, Code said:

I see alot of people are saying Hendo had a good game against the mancs. I completely disagree.

He did not do any mistakes defensively, but the amount of times, he as a midfielder playing CB, passed the ball back to Alisson was doing my head in. 

It was not short passes either, but passes from high in the pitch when forward options would have been options. He also usually always went for the backpass instead of advancing 3-4 m, and breaking the first line when he had all the ime in the World to do exactly that.

He was playing CB like he is playing midfield, using Alisson as a CB interchanging passes, but it obviously did not work out. It was painful to watch.

Unless we sort this situation with playing two of the best midfielders in the league at CB, we are fucked.

It destroys our overall game and we are weakening two parts of our setup in the process. 

Im trying to find stats to show this, but have not found these passing stats yet.

You are criticising Hendo's passing as safety first, however the stats show Fabinho does more of that at CB too. Both of them are playing out of position and Henderson especially is still new to that role. He has played less than 5 full games there, I think. So it makes sense for him to be a bit cautious with his passing for now.

It's not like midfield where if you lose the ball, you have center backs behind you to mop up. Lose the ball as a center back and you're more likely to give a clear run at goal. So calling Hendo out for it seems quite harsh. Maybe when he plays more games at CB and gets comfortable in the position, he'll make riskier decisions.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Hendo had a good game and cant be in two places at once.

This.

Not like Code to be contrary and shift the blame from our woeful forwards to a man who has shown leadership by filling in a vital position for the good of the team at his own expense! If you want to blame Hendo then it's Klopp who must take that bullet.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This.

Not like Code to be contrary and shift the blame from our woeful forwards to a man who has shown leadership by filling in a vital position for the good of the team at his own expense! If you want to blame Hendo then it's Klopp who must take that bullet.

Jesus, shifting blame?

It was something that annoyed me during the game, as a midfielder you would think Hendo would be able to perform this exact part of a CB’s game a bit better, Matip would do it and Van Dijk would do it. Gomez not so much, he lack the skill to do it. 

Go back to Liverpool-Chelsea game in 13/14, everyone blame Gertard for slipping, I did not. I pointed at Sakho, simply because he should have brought the ball with him 3-4 m forward into open space and by that bypassed  Chelsea’s first line.

Again, at the time I said Agger would do that, now I say that both Van Dijk and Matip would do that instead of playing it back to Alisson as much as Hendo did. By doing that we outnumber the opposition, by doing what Hendo did, we give them time to organize and get everyone behind the ball.

Like I said, Hendo did his job defensively, but there are a lot more to football than what you actually watch happening in front of you.

Maybe I put too much expectations on him because he’s a midfielder, but this is certainly the standard we need.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Jesus, shifting blame?

It was something that annoyed me during the game, as a midfielder you would think Hendo would be able to perform this exact part of a CB’s game a bit better, Matip would do it and Van Dijk would do it. Gomez not so much, he lack the skill to do it. 

Go back to Liverpool-Chelsea game in 13/14, everyone blame Gertard for slipping, I did not. I pointed at Sakho, simply because he should have brought the ball with him 3-4 m forward into open space and by that bypassed  Chelsea’s first line.

Again, at the time I said Agger would do that, now I say that both Van Dijk and Matip would do that instead of playing it back to Alisson as much as Hendo did. By doing that we outnumber the opposition, by doing what Hendo did, we give them time to organize and get everyone behind the ball.

Like I said, Hendo did his job defensively, but there are a lot more to football than what you actually watch happening in front of you.

Maybe I put too much expectations on him because he’s a midfielder, but this is certainly the standard we need.

When you play one of the best central midfielders in the country at centre back,at least one who has almost never played there,then there will be problems. The fact that we are actually keeping them out with a make shift central defence indicates a problem further forward.

• Upvote 3

On 20/01/2021 at 07:34, VladimirIlyich said:

When you play one of the best central midfielders in the country at centre back,at least one who has almost never played there,then there will be problems. The fact that we are actually keeping them out with a make shift central defence indicates a problem further forward.

I’m in complete agreement. I also think that the manager knows his hands are tied when it comes to solving the problem. Why? He can’t spend - not only to cover injuries, but to look to the future. Well, here’s a question for everyone: who is Henderson’s understudy? Who was bought to replace him in the near future?

Since the Burnley defeat I’ve thought about Henderson quite bit. Even Gerrard said about him "Teams can't function at Liverpool's level without a cog like Jordan Henderson."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Henderson is the key to it all.
9 years at Liverpool, Captain since 2015 - written off before the arrival of manager Rogers, and even Rogers told him ‘there’s a place at Fulham if you want it’

Hated by fans and given flak for so long, he has become the linchpin of our driving midfield, and now, having taken us to 3 European Cup finals, with 1 win and our first Premier League title in 30 yrs, not only has he had a number of injuries, but he’s been forced of late to play out of his key position.

Given his importance, and the history of his rise to prominence - 9 years of it -  it’s unforgivable that we have not been nurturing his replacement for our near term future. Unless ofc, we have?

If I’m wrong, and we’ve already acquired his probable replacement, then who is it? Is it Fabinho? If so, Fab should be in midfield and nowhere else regardless of CB injuries. Who else could it be? I have no idea? Minimino? Jones? 

Either our players fit the system, or the system adapts to new players, either way, Hendo is not going to be playing long term after a 9 yr career already, with injuries and a permanent disability ( plantar fasciitis? )

Does Klopp’s brief include a second generation team rising out of the ashes of the last 3 seasons? Questions questions.

• Upvote 1

On 24/01/2021 at 01:29, Red Shift said:

I’m in complete agreement. I also think that the manager knows his hands are tied when it comes to solving the problem. Why? He can’t spend - not only to cover injuries, but to look to the future. Well, here’s a question for everyone: who is Henderson’s understudy? Who was bought to replace him in the near future?

Since the Burnley defeat I’ve thought about Henderson quite bit. Even Gerrard said about him "Teams can't function at Liverpool's level without a cog like Jordan Henderson."

The more I think about it, the more I believe that Henderson is the key to it all.
9 years at Liverpool, Captain since 2015 - written off before the arrival of manager Rogers, and even Rogers told him ‘there’s a place at Fulham if you want it’

Hated by fans and given flak for so long, he has become the linchpin of our driving midfield, and now, having taken us to 3 European Cup finals, with 1 win and our first Premier League title in 30 yrs, not only has he had a number of injuries, but he’s been forced of late to play out of his key position.

Given his importance, and the history of his rise to prominence - 9 years of it -  it’s unforgivable that we have not been nurturing his replacement for our near term future. Unless ofc, we have?

If I’m wrong, and we’ve already acquired his probable replacement, then who is it? Is it Fabinho? If so, Fab should be in midfield and nowhere else regardless of CB injuries. Who else could it be? I have no idea? Minimino? Jones? 

Either our players fit the system, or the system adapts to new players, either way, Hendo is not going to be playing long term after a 9 yr career already, with injuries and a permanent disability ( plantar fasciitis? )

Does Klopp’s brief include a second generation team rising out of the ashes of the last 3 seasons? Questions questions.

I think Klopp probably had plans and ideas beyond this season but the injuries and lacking the finance to solve them have made him look no further than week to week now.

In all seriousness though, I am unsure how you even go about replacing Hendo. Hendo is everything, the power, the desire, the fact he's come through a tunnel of shit and smelling like roses. You can't buy the experience, and everything that has culminated to make Hendo the man he is today and the impact he has on this team.

Every time we've lost a legend you can't just go out and get someone like that person because it doesn't work. Hendo was never Gerrard, he was something different to Gerrard and the team has to adapt.

If we want another talismanic midfielder, I do think we should be molding Curtis Jones to be that guy, Hendo was always the Gerrard 'replacement' but Hendo's seems not at all obvious. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Antynwa said:

In all seriousness though, I am unsure how you even go about replacing Hendo. Hendo is everything, the power, the desire, the fact he's come through a tunnel of shit and smelling like roses. You can't buy the experience, and everything that has culminated to make Hendo the man he is today and the impact he has on this team.

Every time we've lost a legend you can't just go out and get someone like that person because it doesn't work. Hendo was never Gerrard, he was something different to Gerrard and the team has to adapt.

If we want another talismanic midfielder, I do think we should be molding Curtis Jones to be that guy, Hendo was always the Gerrard 'replacement' but Hendo's seems not at all obvious. 

Henderson was never the Gerrard replacement.

He’s been praised now, and rightfully so, because of the part he’s played in the teams development and achievements over the last seasons.

But I think you’d struggle to find a single person who, when Gerrard left, would say ‘yeah, Henderson is the Gerrard replacement’ 

He definately wasn’t back then, and he isn’t now imo.

In fact I find the whole ‘replacement’ logic a bit odd. Great players and poor players leave, and new ones come in. The manager and the coaching staff builds new teams based on the players available. And thankfully with our current setup they do so based on a long term plan. 

We’ll need a new captain when Henderson leaves, or when he looses his place in the starting eleven maybe. That’ll be sorted. But we dont need to worry about replacements imo, and I dont think we do either.

Having the right characters in the squad to build a long term winning culture is a different discussion. I think we need that, and I think we have it now in Henderson, Milner, Van Dijk and maybe a few others. In that respect maybe Milner was far more important than Henderson a few years back, in him we brought in a proven winner, something that was lacking in the squad at the time.

17 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Henderson was never the Gerrard replacement.

He’s been praised now, and rightfully so, because of the part he’s played in the teams development and achievements over the last seasons.

But I think you’d struggle to find a single person who, when Gerrard left, would say ‘yeah, Henderson is the Gerrard replacement’ 

He definately wasn’t back then, and he isn’t now imo.

In fact I find the whole ‘replacement’ logic a bit odd. Great players and poor players leave, and new ones come in. The manager and the coaching staff builds new teams based on the players available. And thankfully with our current setup they do so based on a long term plan. 

We’ll need a new captain when Henderson leaves, or when he looses his place in the starting eleven maybe. That’ll be sorted. But we dont need to worry about replacements imo, and I dont think we do either.

Having the right characters in the squad to build a long term winning culture is a different discussion. I think we need that, and I think we have it now in Henderson, Milner, Van Dijk and maybe a few others. In that respect maybe Milner was far more important than Henderson a few years back, in him we brought in a proven winner, something that was lacking in the squad at the time.

You're right in part that's why I said 'replacement', Shelvey was planned as his replacement as was Emre Can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)