You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

1 hour ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Always been fully team Hendo but I have to admit, there was a stage last season I thought the team had outgrown him. When he was playing the deeper role when Fabinho was out injured. Then Klopp moved him onto the right side and he’s been superb ever since. 

I honestly thought he was terrific in that role last year.

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Was going to post on this thread before he scored today. Compliments of Henderson have always been very earnest relative to Gerrard in the manner of “he’s not made of Roy of the Rovers-stuff but he never stops running / trying”. Well, as pure central midfielders go there’s a very fair argument that he’s at or exceeding Gerrard’s level. He’ll never have the sheer cannoning talent Gerrard had as a free reign attacker but he’s precisely  the kind of clever, disciplined midfielder that Gerrard would come unstuck against when planted in the middle of the pitch.

Henderson has simply evolved into a sublime classical midfielder; legitimately one of the very best in the club’s history and his record over the past 150 games evidences it. Superb.

It's not even close and there's no shame in that, no midfielder playing the game is anywhere close to Gerrard. 

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Was going to post on this thread before he scored today. Compliments of Henderson have always been very earnest relative to Gerrard in the manner of “he’s not made of Roy of the Rovers-stuff but he never stops running / trying”. Well, as pure central midfielders go there’s a very fair argument that he’s at or exceeding Gerrard’s level. He’ll never have the sheer cannoning talent Gerrard had as a free reign attacker but he’s precisely  the kind of clever, disciplined midfielder that Gerrard would come unstuck against when planted in the middle of the pitch.

Henderson has simply evolved into a sublime classical midfielder; legitimately one of the very best in the club’s history and his record over the past 150 games evidences it. Superb.

At or exceeding Gerrards level, are you joking?

If you had put Gerrard in his peak years in this Klopp team, with the coaching and guidance this lot is getting, and with players like we have now around him, then Gerrard would have stood out as the best player in the world by some distance.

Gerrard was one of the best players in the world at his peak. He was world class in some good teams, and he was world class in some average teams. He carried the team and the club for a few years, and more or less single handedly won us some trophies. Henderson has come a long way, and I have nothing but respect for the way he’s kept working and improving steadily. But no way could he do what Gerrard did if you stuck him in the teams Gerrard played in. Not even close.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

At or exceeding Gerrards level, are you joking?

If you had put Gerrard in his peak years in this Klopp team, with the coaching and guidance this lot is getting, and with players like we have now around him, then Gerrard would have stood out as the best player in the world by some distance.

Gerrard was one of the best players in the world at his peak. He was world class in some good teams, and he was world class in some average teams. He carried the team and the club for a few years, and more or less single handedly won us some trophies. Henderson has come a long way, and I have nothing but respect for the way he’s kept working and improving steadily. But no way could he do what Gerrard did if you stuck him in the teams Gerrard played in. Not even close.

Nuance is clearly lost on you. Try to read my post and comprehend what it is actually saying rather than blurting the obvious all over the screen. Gerrard did his best work when untethered by Hamann/Alonso & latterly Alonso/Mascherano to cannon forward as a force of nature but was, typically, an ill disciplined midfielder when tied to the central role. Henderson is the antithesis of Gerrard as a midfielder - a very different type of player lacking the star-dust & creative/attacing spectacle but with other qualities of discipline & nous that he is superior in. Henderson has evolved into one of the key pivots that this 95 pt form year-on-year, World-conquering team rests upon.

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Nuance is clearly lost on you. Try to read my post and comprehend what it is actually saying rather than blurting the obvious all over the screen. Gerrard did his best work when untethered by Hamann/Alonso & latterly Alonso/Mascherano to cannon forward as a force of nature but was, typically, an ill disciplined midfielder when tied to the central role. Henderson is the antithesis of Gerrard as a midfielder - a very different type of player lacking the star-dust & creative/attacing spectacle but with other qualities of discipline & nous that he is superior in. Henderson has evolved into one of the key pivots that this 95 pt form year-on-year, World-conquering team rests upon.

I do get your point, and the way you describe their differences as players I more or less agree with.

But when you’re saying Henderson is at or exceedig Gerrards level as a player, for me has nothing to do with nuance, it’s just wrong. 

Gerrard was one of the best players in the world, Henderson isn’t even the best midfielder in our current squad. That’s where we disagree probably, which is fine by me.

14 hours ago, Alex_K said:

What he's done has been nothing short of magnificent and he's improving all the time. If he could add more goals to his game, apart from that he's outstanding. 

Bit of a slow burner Hendo. I watched a bit of the Liverpool v Citeh Carling cup final yesterday and he was invisible back then . I always thought he had the ability and the problem was between his ears. Not these days though and Klopp deserves a massive amount of credit for his transformation from bang average midfield plodder into the leader of the best team in the country. 

Hendo has improved as a player every season he’s played for us. 

People’s main issue when he took over the captaincy was he wasn’t Gerrard. 

Hendo was never going to be another Gerrard, he was an impossible player to replace.

But has certainly become the best version of Jordan Henderson he can be. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

Hendo has improved as a player every season he’s played for us. 

People’s main issue when he took over the captaincy was he wasn’t Gerrard. 

Hendo was never going to be another Gerrard, he was an impossible player to replace.

But has certainly become the best version of Jordan Henderson he can be. 

I think peoples main issue back then was that he wasn't anywhere near Gerrard as a footballer and were concerned as to whether he should be in the team let alone skipper. 

6 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think peoples main issue back then was that he wasn't anywhere near Gerrard as a footballer and were concerned as to whether he should be in the team let alone skipper. 

People let their opinion of him under Dalglish cloud their judgement for years. 

IMO, there were inconsistent flashes of promise under Kenny, but like the other shite in Carrol, Adam & Downing we bought at the same time, Hendo was lumped in with them.

He started to improve in Rodgers 2nd season, he was great in 13/14 (his red v Citeh was, in hindsight, a huge blow in the title race) & he was even better in 14/15 when we were largely crap. 

It’s unfortunate he’s had injury problems under Klopp. He’s re-invented his game from box-to-box, to a holding player, back to box-to-box and can now cover each role equally well, to an elite world class level.

Definitely took a while to become a mainstay in the side, but I fundamentally don’t see how anybody could question his quality since 2013.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

I see alot of people are saying Hendo had a good game against the mancs. I completely disagree.

He did not do any mistakes defensively, but the amount of times, he as a midfielder playing CB, passed the ball back to Alisson was doing my head in. 

It was not short passes either, but passes from high in the pitch when forward options would have been options. He also usually always went for the backpass instead of advancing 3-4 m, and breaking the first line when he had all the ime in the World to do exactly that.

He was playing CB like he is playing midfield, using Alisson as a CB interchanging passes, but it obviously did not work out. It was painful to watch.

Unless we sort this situation with playing two of the best midfielders in the league at CB, we are fucked.

It destroys our overall game and we are weakening two parts of our setup in the process. 

Im trying to find stats to show this, but have not found these passing stats yet.

29 minutes ago, Code said:

I see alot of people are saying Hendo had a good game against the mancs. I completely disagree.

He did not do any mistakes defensively, but the amount of times, he as a midfielder playing CB, passed the ball back to Alisson was doing my head in. 

It was not short passes either, but passes from high in the pitch when forward options would have been options. He also usually always went for the backpass instead of advancing 3-4 m, and breaking the first line when he had all the ime in the World to do exactly that.

He was playing CB like he is playing midfield, using Alisson as a CB interchanging passes, but it obviously did not work out. It was painful to watch.

Unless we sort this situation with playing two of the best midfielders in the league at CB, we are fucked.

It destroys our overall game and we are weakening two parts of our setup in the process. 

Im trying to find stats to show this, but have not found these passing stats yet.

Spot on this. I’m seeing Thiago getting the blame for slowing the game down yet how many times did we try and get him on the ball after the first 20 minutes. 

The amount of times Henderson

could have played an early pass only for him to panic at the first sign of a manc closing him down and firing it back to Alison was annoying me. 

He was doing it from the half way line ffs. 

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

How about finding some stats about how many times yer boy Mo gives the ball away 

Do you disagree with any of the things I wrote right now?

Not that Salah has got anything to do with this, but we should question why he keeps getting the ball with his back to the goal all the time and with a few defenders surroundingnhim? We know he hardly ever gets a free kick, no matter what happens, so why are we setting him up in those situations?

Salah as an individual is the least of our problems, together with Alisson. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

Nowhere near as painful as reading this. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)