You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

27 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I dont think this is the time to remember the tooths old thread title, oops.

Or maybe it is, maybe it shows how far he has come, the obstacles he has had to overcome. The doubters he has had to win over. 

We are our past, but we determine our own future.

• Upvote 1

Everything you see and hear about this group shows he’s long been a great club captain off the pitch, but it’s been incredibly satisfying watching him grow into his role and himself to become one on the pitch too the past few years, as he’s driven this lot every step of the way while just playing better and better himself. You could visibly see the extra belief, and sense of knowing he now belongs in esteemed company, lifting that Champions League trophy above his head gave him. The next 2-3 years really could be a golden period for and from him.

Its an interesting thought, which some journo will no doubt bring up soon enough, about the distinction between the traditional, hard as nails on-field leader style of captains and the more collegiate, camaraderie and morale-building off-field stuff Hendo obviously excels in. He appears to be a true lieutenant for Klopp, helping him mould and shape this squad’s ridiculous togetherness, ambition and tireless raising of standards. He just maybe isn’t what we’ve all typically seen a Liverpool captain look and act like in the past, and so had to overcome that unconscious bias, along with lingering suspicions about whether he was quite good enough as a player.

A modern captain for a modern era. Has very much done it in his own style and all while having to fight his way out of the daunting shadow of a once-in-a-lifetime club legend, which would frankly have flattened lesser men, to boot. Goes down as an LFC immortal now and every chance of being commemorated in history as double player of the year in the season we finally broke the 30 year gypsy curse. Not bad for a humble lad from Wearside.

• Like 1

He's that kid who would take his football out in the rain on his own if he had too. He loves football, I think he loves it more than the trappings being a successful footballer brings. Obviously all footballers love football clearly! I think most of the top players the lifestyle takes over but there's some pros you see and its still that kid on the park. Most fans will recognise who that player is or was in their own clubs no matter how successful. The kid who went to bed in his teams bed sheets with their football under their arm and new boots where they can see them, if they were luckily enough to have that much.

3 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Or maybe it is, maybe it shows how far he has come, the obstacles he has had to overcome. The doubters he has had to win over. 

We are our past, but we determine our own future.

Very well phrased and diplomatic. I thought it showed Dennis was a loon. He wasnt the only one, I've spent 3 hours deleting old messages.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Very well phrased and diplomatic. I thought it showed Dennis was a loon. He wasnt the only one, I've spent 3 hours deleting old messages.

I wont delete old messages, I will openly admit I WAS WRONG. He had changed the perception of our fanbase. We measured him by Stevie G, that's not a comparison many can stand up to. He is Jordan Henderson, he should be judged on who he is not who he isnt.

• Upvote 1

Happy to eat my words here too. I was nowhere near against the lad to the same lengths some on here were but I wasn't his biggest fan. When Gerrard left I really didn't see or want him to be captain. There is stepping up to the plate and then there is greek wedding smash bang fuck off have that you bastards. He did the latter. One of our greats. Rightly will have a flag permanently on the Kop.

Our captain. 

Ive two fellas who sit next to me in the ground and up to last season, they were always slagging Hendo off. They always said hendo was 'never a true' Liverpool player. I disagree, he was.

He reminds me of old Crazy Horse, the mighty Emlyn or Ronnie Whelan or an ian Callaghan. The dynamo that's always working, like a fly you go to swat but you never get it and it continues to bug you. Similar to Emlyn, he isnt graced with the best silky skills, although if you see some clips of Hendo as a young lad juggling the ball with his feet, you wonder just why those skills seem to have been locked away.

It's as jurgen said, hendo's biggest problem is he isnt Stevie, but Stevie was one of the top 2 players ever to have played for this club. Everyone in Liverpool's team can pass the ball backwards, sideways even give it away cheaply. Except hendo. If he ever passes square or back even when retaining possession, you could hear the groans in Anfield.

There was a home game earlier this season when someone in the lower SKD took him to task by the touchline because he hadnt banged an aimless ball forward as desired. Hendo gave him short shrift. I dont think a Hendo pre Madrid CL win would have done that.

We all know Hendo is an easy target for some but the boy has grown into his status now as a title and trophy winning Liverpool captain. The fact he turned down the swap deal for Dempsey should have been an indication of his commitment.

I cannot wait to see Hendo lift number 19 for us.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He's that kid who would take his football out in the rain on his own if he had too. He loves football, I think he loves it more than the trappings being a successful footballer brings. Obviously all footballers love football clearly! I think most of the top players the lifestyle takes over but there's some pros you see and its still that kid on the park. Most fans will recognise who that player is or was in their own clubs no matter how successful. The kid who went to bed in his teams bed sheets with their football under their arm and new boots where they can see them, if they were luckily enough to have that much.

That was me. He's living the dream for us all.

His arms will be worn out lifting all those trophies in the last 13 months.

He's class all the way through, on and off the pitch.  He's had more than his fair share of stick, most of it unwarranted and sadly a lot of it from his own "supporters".

The perfect "fuck you" to all those who doubted him, lifting 2 trophies in that period that no Liverpool captain has ever lifted before (discounting the old League Championship).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Well ok...

Pleased for him although its still shit seeing local lads like him and pickford have huge success when we are are completely fucked

Yeah I spotted that as well. As with most shots, trophies will be out of his reach.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)