You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

they were all poor to average all game. Watching those three pass backwards and sideways for 75 minutes, and Henderson's role in the first goal, can't be dismissed just because he set up our goal. And the same for Wijnaldum. He scored, and he's getting amongst the goals now, but he's offering almost nothing else.

He also got a last ditch tackle in on Pedro.

He played well. They all did but did anyone doubt they would? They have nothing to prove to us against the big teams.

He was excellent but lacks a player beside him who would allow him more freedom to get forward. Our midfield balance is not quite right but with a player like Kante for example Henderson would be far more effective. Ridiculous the criticism he gets when there have always been far worse players than him in the squad.

• Upvote 1

No arguments with this at all.

Henderson is and has been involved in so many of our goals that its a bit silly to have him playing so deep. I think a summer central midfielder,or two,are a must.

Agree, but one might be more realistic. With Klopp, I reckon it's more likely to be a deep-lying playmaker than a destroyer.

I feel sorry for Henderson because he's in no way a defensive or playmaking midfielder.

Saved us at times last night, thought he was very good and that tactic of ball over the top behind their wingbacks was clearly something we'd worked on. The less said about the CBs and Milner behind him, the better.

Milner was below his best last night, but still managed to get forward and cause their defence problems. Needs to play constantly as his age demands it. We are sorely in need of a real left back though. If Milner played as some kind of wide player further forward he'd be far more effective.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/12/adam-lallana-liverpool-tottenham-klopp

Now I'm not saying this proves he's a great leader, he clearly has his limitations both as a player and probably also as a captain.

But I do think every time we loose labelling him, and other players, a bottler without any sort of leadership skills is also a bit simplistic.

We need to change the captain in the summer, Lallana for me

Henderson needs to take along look in the mirror and ask himself why for a man with great talent he plays like a donkey most of the time. Freed of the responsibility he might find some answers but quite honestly his normal contribution at the moment is not enough , 

Like I've said before on here,I think people are reading too much into the role of the modern captain. Its more of an honorary title for being a comparatively experienced player at the club and the respect he has from his peers. Henderson is not the cog that drives the wheel,he's part of the wheel itself. He is a better player when somebody else plays the role he is doing now. A real shame that Gerrard wasn't 5 or 6 years younger as I think they'd have made a superb partnership. Like most in our team,even quite bizarrely our defenders,he is much better attacking than defending. Although I remember him turning in a great performance as right in a midweek win over Blackburn.

We need to change the captain in the summer, Lallana for me

Henderson needs to take along look in the mirror and ask himself why for a man with great talent he plays like a donkey most of the time. Freed of the responsibility he might find some answers but quite honestly his normal contribution at the moment is not enough , 

Lallano.

lallana for captain!? Based on what, that he plays a good game or bollocks young players like Arnold Alexander for a wayward pass? No thanks.

A captain is only good for kick off and talking to the ref (in that instance Henderson is always in the ref's face if you watch the games). Once the game kicks off, everyone of the players should be a 'captain.'

We mixed it up far more than we have recently, playing quite a lot of longer first time passes, from defence, goalie and the midfield. Our strikers pace and endeavour to feed on these scraps and 50-50s lead directly to our second goal.

Also meant that we didn't fuck about nearly as much at the back. Our tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot needs eradicating for good. There's a time for tiki-taka and its not when Mignolet or Lucas are within a mile of the fucking ball.

Henderson is doing ok. The meeting he called also showed good leadership. At the moment only Milner rivals him for the arm band. Henderson was captain before Milner became a fixture in the side and he has grown into the role.

If Henderson loses the arm band it's because he is displaced from the team by a superior player, at which point, bring it on. As things stand he's doing ok.

I agree with the notion that we overdo the importance of the captain, but there are times when a bit of leadership is called for, and I was pleased to hear about the meeting.

• Upvote 2

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)