You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Henderson is not a bad player and surrounded by better his flaws would not be so obvious. Pair him with a Gerrard and he would do a job.

Much as we on forums watching the telly think we can judge a player I prefer to leave it to people like Klopp and the England set up both of which deem him captain material. You cannot just wing that.

Short memories we have as Gerrard was constantly criticised for being a poor leader. His individual ability masked many of his poor captaincy qualities.

Henderson is not a bad player and surrounded by better his flaws would not be so obvious. Pair him with a Gerrard and he would do a job.

Much as we on forums watching the telly think we can judge a player I prefer to leave it to people like Klopp and the England set up both of which deem him captain material. You cannot just wing that.

Short memories we have as Gerrard was constantly criticised for being a poor leader. His individual ability masked many of his poor captaincy qualities.

He's dire. Jay Spearing with a quiff. Without the guts.

Pair me with Gerrard, by the way, and I too would do a job.

He's dire. Jay Spearing with a quiff. Without the guts.

Pair me with Gerrard, by the way, and I too would do a job.

I’m not saying he is great. His form has been dire but I remember prior to his last injury he was playing really well.

I agree though I would prefer a different captain.

Plus we have had a fair few midfielders pair with SG and they were terrible.

It's almost like we bought him from Sunderland FC.

He's an absolute fraud of a top level footballer.  I can't even say he's average anymore because most average teams in this division have better central midfielders than him.  

He gets picked for England on the back of him wearing a red shirt, and even then he's finding it harder to get in that shit team. 

He's now fighting a losing battle, at age 27 (his prime), to keep out players like Harry Winks, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, and Jack Cork.

The joke being, he's OUR captain and has played 255 times in a red shirt.

He's a shit version of Scott Parker, who himself couldn't hold a candle to Gerrard or Mascherano for example, but at least he put himself about for a few years.

I'm not even angry about it anymore, he's too entrenched in the team now, too entrenched in Klopp, he's here forever, though perhaps the miracle of Keita may help to chip away at him when he comes and shows what a top midfielder is all about. 

You are then questioning Klopps judgement of a player he sees train and interact with the team on a daily basis.

It could be that he is carrying out his managers instruction to the letter. His off the ball postioning and runs could be pushing opposition into areas we want.

I don’t know but I know my footballer knowledge is Sunday league level compaired to Klopp and even Southgate.

I am suggesting- imo - Henderson can neither play it or tune it. One thing I would agree with - he is a busy mover. Very busy.

At the core I think there is a question as to whether this group has the nous necessary in game situations to compete successfully in Europe. Ironically we see the same skills lacking at times in the league which is not the most cultured in the world, so we may not have to worry about Europe. Not sure that has much to do with what happens on the training ground or in the film room as I am sure Henderson is an eager beaver there as well. But that skill is not learned for the most part. 

I would also add that Klopp is the ultimate pragmatist - so deciding Henderson is his best option there now is far different than saying he is the best option there. He may have had better players (read nous) at his disposal in the past then Henderson.

I am suggesting- imo - Henderson can neither play it or tune it. One thing I would agree with - he is a busy mover. Very busy.

At the core I think there is a question as to whether this group has the nous necessary in game situations to compete successfully in Europe. Ironically we seem the same skills lacking at times in the league which is not the most cultured in the world, so we may not have to worry about Europe. Not sure that has much to do with what happens on the training ground or in the film room as I am sure Henderson is an eager beaver there as well. But that skill is not learned for the most part.

I’d agree with that. We are lacking leaders all over the pitch. We should have players who, take last night for example, have the nous to change things on the pitch without managerial input.

After that first goal we should have just keep the ball for 10-15 mins and shut the momentum down.

Instead we, and Henderson included, tried lobbing it up to 8 stone Firmino to hold up.

If that was the plan I would have thrown Solanke on at least as an outlet. But it should not have come to that

He isn't carrying the piano though, is he? It's too fucking heavy for him.

And our left back is licking it.

We actually have the three or four players that can play it. Arguably we don't have any that can carry it. 

Who is the solid 7/10 every week full back in this squad? Clyne at a push? Who is the solid central midfielder? There isn't one. The keeper? Nope. 

• Upvote 4

He isn't carrying the piano though, is he? It's too fucking heavy for him.

And our left back is licking it.

We actually have the three or four players that can play it. Arguably we don't have any that can carry it. 

Who is the solid 7/10 every week full back in this squad? Clyne at a push? Who is the solid central midfielder? There isn't one. The keeper? Nope.

Most of our player are Laurel and Hardy with the Piano.

It's almost like we bought him from Sunderland FC.

He's an absolute fraud of a top level footballer. I can't even say he's average anymore because most average teams in this division have better central midfielders than him.

He gets picked for England on the back of him wearing a red shirt, and even then he's finding it harder to get in that shit team.

He's now fighting a losing battle, at age 27 (his prime), to keep out players like Harry Winks, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, and Jack Cork.

The joke being, he's OUR captain and has played 255 times in a red shirt.

He's a shit version of Scott Parker, who himself couldn't hold a candle to Gerrard or Mascherano for example, but at least he put himself about for a few years.

I'm not even angry about it anymore, he's too entrenched in the team now, too entrenched in Klopp, he's here forever, though perhaps the miracle of Keita may help to chip away at him when he comes and shows what a top midfielder is all about.

Spot fucking on

He's average, there's no denying it, but he does get some unnecessary stick. Klopp should've taken the armband off him when he arrived. Too big a job to follow in the footsteps of Gerrard. 

Wijnaldum on the other hand seems to get away with virtually none of the ire, even though i've yet to notice him on the field in virtually two years of away performances. 

• Upvote 1

Houllier made a brave call in taking the armband off Hyypia for Gerrard. At least he had an obvious choice, though.

Milner? Rarely plays.
Coutinho? Probably won't be here beyond summer.
Lallana? Always injured.

Mane? Probably a bit too soon.

I wouldn't even bother examining options beyond that. Just get the thing stitched onto Keita's shirt ahead of next year.

Houllier made a brave call in taking the armband off Hyypia for Gerrard. At least he had an obvious choice, though.

Milner? Rarely plays.

Coutinho? Probably won't be here beyond summer.

Lallana? Always injured.

Mane? Probably a bit too soon.

I wouldn't even bother examining options beyond that. Just get the thing stitched onto Keita's shirt ahead of next year.

I wonder how Bobby Fimino would respond to being Captain? Always puts in a shift, seems to enjoy the game, I think his example as Captain would be more influential than Henderson and he is not very often dropped/injured/unavailable.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)