You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Ha, spoilt for choice for that one. Moreno looks more like Rodney Dave.

Ha, spoilt for choice for that one. Moreno looks more like Rodney Dave.

Cosmic!

Henderson does get unfair criticism but as a leader or inspirational player goes he’s bang average

Who has said he is a leader or inspirational player? I don't believe he was ever even signed to anything more than a cog in a midfield wheel,with some versatility(as a younger player) thrown in. If we are going to start to go round in circles again,the designation of a captain has become nothing more than a token gesture for loyalty or simply being affable. Those mythical captains everybody goes on about coincide with brilliant teams as they are generally already brilliant players. I'd say neither Gerrard nor say Ronnie Whelan for example were particularly great captains just excellent players.

• Upvote 1

Who has said he is a leader or inspirational player? I don't believe he was ever even signed to anything more than a cog in a midfield wheel,with some versatility(as a younger player) thrown in. If we are going to start to go round in circles again,the designation of a captain has become nothing more than a token gesture for loyalty or simply being affable. Those mythical captains everybody goes on about coincide with brilliant teams as they are generally already brilliant players. I'd say neither Gerrard nor say Ronnie Whelan for example were particularly great captains just excellent players.

You're right he was bought as a hrad-working midfielder but Rodgers asked him to fill Gerrards boots which was clearly impossible..Hard to think of a player that could have slotted in to be fair. The problem is 3 or 4 years down the road ,and with a new manager, he hasn't been replaced as captain. Klopp needs to stick it on the "to do" list somewhere near the top alongside the new keeper, 2 new CB's and a striker ,  

Klopp isnt playing Henderson in the Gerrard \ Rodgers role. He is playing him as a number 6. He is not going to be creating attacks in that role. I do not see why people are on Henderson's back for creating nothing that being the case.

If he's a number 6, he should be shielding the defence. There was a moment in the match last night where he received the ball, facing his own goal just inside his own half and he was quite close to Matip with an opposing player behind him running towards him - whether he knew this or not I'm not sure but at that level you would assume he did. He played it to Matip and looked genuinely concerned that Matip was going to get closed down by the player running past him! He just passed it to the defence he was supposed to be shielding and let him deal with the ball.

If he is in the number 6 role, he is not making a convincing job of it. He can be a brilliant forward passer but he can also be a real chicken with the ball when he cannot see a good pass so he wants someone else to deal with it. Someone else should be shielding the defence and he should be competing with players like Wijnaldum for a role further forward. The problem is, we don't have anyone yet. Hopefully that player is Keita.

Klopp isnt playing Henderson in the Gerrard \ Rodgers role. He is playing him as a number 6. He is not going to be creating attacks in that role. I do not see why people are on Henderson's back for creating nothing that being the case.

I have a hypothesis called the "Moaning Cunt" theorem.  Just moan as much as possible and criticise every player for everything imaginable.  It's the Liverpool way.   

• Upvote 1

If he's a number 6, he should be shielding the defence. There was a moment in the match last night where he received the ball, facing his own goal just inside his own half and he was quite close to Matip with an opposing player behind him running towards him - whether he knew this or not I'm not sure but at that level you would assume he did. He played it to Matip and looked genuinely concerned that Matip was going to get closed down by the player running past him! He just passed it to the defence he was supposed to be shielding and let him deal with the ball.

If he is in the number 6 role, he is not making a convincing job of it. He can be a brilliant forward passer but he can also be a real chicken with the ball when he cannot see a good pass so he wants someone else to deal with it. Someone else should be shielding the defence and he should be competing with players like Wijnaldum for a role further forward. The problem is, we don't have anyone yet. Hopefully that player is Keita.

Congrats. You pulled up one single example in a 90 minute game to prove your point. To use your own words 'a moment.'

Is there any number 6 who will not get caught in a situation you highlight? No, but you'll ignore it all the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Congrats. You pulled up one single example in a 90 minute game to prove your point. To use your own words 'a moment.'

Is there any number 6 who will not get caught in a situation you highlight? No, but you'll ignore it all the same.

I consider myself scolded and confined to the naughty chair for sharing a different opinion to yours and I promise I will never do it again.

I have a hypothesis called the "Moaning Cunt" theorem. Just moan as much as possible and criticise every player for everything imaginable. It's the Liverpool way.

I agree. The main problem with Henderson and all our midfielders in general is how they are more comfortable and creative going forward or in more attacking roles. I'd prefer an overall criticism rather than singling out an individual who has served the club well.

He does it in every game.  He's renowned for it. 

He does it in every game.  He's renowned for it. 

I agree. Every now and again, as I mentioned he's capable of defence splitting passes but he's also capable of scaring his own defence. Didi Hamann was the master of back to goal, protect the ball at all costs and end up winning a free kick on many occasions.

Guest Pistonbroke

I’m sure we must have had a worse captain in my 132 year history of watching LFC but I can’t think of one, or at least not one who had the armband long term.

The only one I can think of is Mark Wright, and he was still way better than Henderson. 

I'm only going back to 1970 mind when Tommy Smith was captain. 

If you were to rank our squad in terms of talent, the sad thing is, Henderson would probably be in the top half. It’s correct to say that he’s not really a priority problem, but there is something a little bit sad about the fact someone so limited and average can skate by on the fact that he is less shit than a lot of those around him.

• Upvote 1

He'd be much better in the Wijnaldum role for me, and probably create more than Gini does in that position too. I don't really know why Klopp has persisted with him as the deeper player, as he's not great at reading the play or dictating the play. He's good at bombing around, pressing and the occasional through ball. If we had an Alonso or Hamann type sat deeper and Hendo as a box to box player I think it would be better for the team and him.

If you were to rank our squad in terms of talent, the sad thing is, Henderson would probably be in the top half. It’s correct to say that he’s not really a priority problem, but there is something a little bit sad about the fact someone so limited and average can skate by on the fact that he is less shit than a lot of those around him.

Nah. Henderson is the epitome of the academy footballer who got to where he is through hard work. You can see it when he plays. He has little natural footballing ability and everything he does is mechanical but his application and athleticism probably makes him a coach's dream. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)