dennis tooth

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World, European and Premier League Winning Captain of Liverpool

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

If we hadn't signed up Klopp, we'd be fucked and there would have been no league title or European cup. I'm dreading what happens when he leaves. 

You gotta live in the moment.

• Upvote 1

On 24/07/2021 at 01:44, dave u said:

I'm sick of him. Seeing him do those stupid fucking stepovers in that pre-season kick around the other day made me irrationally angry.

cc @Dr Nowt

#NabyUnlocked

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

cc @Dr Nowt

#NabyUnlocked

Is that video a pisstake or some form of pro Naby propaganda? Someone says in the comments “waiting for the bit where he unlocks” or something and the potentially pro Naby OP puts “might help if you open your eyes”. 

Put Naby into the divisive mix driven by social media, along with Brexit, vaccines, covid and so on

In my opinion it is never going to happen for him here. I never watched him before, but assume he must have been a bit special at red bull based on his supporters’ constant shouting about it. I hope I’m wrong and he’s amazing next season, but I’m pretty certain he won’t be.

• Upvote 1

On 23/07/2021 at 16:44, dave u said:

I'm sick of him. Seeing him do those stupid fucking stepovers in that pre-season kick around the other day made me irrationally angry.

He was singing 'football's coming home' while he did it.

Just me, or does that video just show how he gets some very lucky rebounds and actually does fuck all worth talking about?

I thought the latest replies to this post were going to be about JH not signing his latest contract.

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson is expected to end the uncertainty surrounding his future after striking an agreement in principle to sign a new long-term contract with the Anfield club.

The Athletic revealed in July that talks between the two parties were not progressing, raising the possibility of Henderson leaving before his current deal ends in the summer of 2023. But dialogue continued and then advanced significantly when the 31-year-old England midfielder returned from a post-Euro 2020 holiday earlier this month.

Liverpool proposed an improved deal spanning three years with the option of a fourth contingent on how many appearances he makes. Henderson has not yet put pen to paper but that is the direction of travel and will come as a huge boost to the 19-time English champions and their supporters.

Manager Jurgen Klopp is understood to have played a pivotal role in turning around a complicated and sensitive situation, which nobody involved wanted to have a detrimental impact on the squad.

“It is important but it will happen,” the German explained about the process in a news conference on Friday. “We will sort it, however it will be. We will sort it. No doubt about that. It will get sorted.”

Klopp was determined to avoid a repeat of what happened with Georginio Wijnaldum, whose recent move to Paris Saint-Germain was a result of unsuccessful negotiations to renew his terms. PSG coach Mauricio Pochettino also admires Henderson while Atletico Madrid and Roma have been linked too. If Liverpool’s owner Fenway Sports Group (FSG) gave an impression they might countenance his exit, such suitors may retain an interest regardless of a new contract.

The Henderson impasse was not about money, rather his role in the team and how FSG view him going forward. The Sunderland youth product believes he can continue to shine in a way that inspired Liverpool to Champions League glory in 2019 and the Premier League crown a year later.

Henderson’s impact is underlined by statistics — Liverpool perform better with him in the line-up than without — and he did not wish to be retained by FSG if that was only for his leadership skills. The groin injury that disrupted his 2020-21 campaign was overcome as Henderson helped England to the European Championship final and although he was not included in Liverpool’s squad for the 3-0 win at Norwich City on Saturday, it is hoped he will be in contention for Burnley’s visit next weekend.

Henderson excelled in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Aston Villa at Anfield yesterday, alongside Thiago Alcantara and others who were in need of some extra minutes on the pitch.

He is said to have conducted himself impeccably throughout and is now on track to join Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho and Alisson in extending their careers on Merseyside over the past fortnight.

Good stuff.  He should celebrate in May in front of a packed Anfield and another shiny Premier league trophy. 

So the club get the 1 year they wanted with the second year protected against injury, Henderson get's the 2 years, injuries permitting, and the optional year taken out of the clubs hands (to an extent).

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

So the club get the 1 year they wanted with the second year protected against injury, Henderson get's the 2 years, injuries permitting, and the optional year taken out of the clubs hands (to an extent).

It's 2 years with an optional 3rd based on appearances in the previous 2, I read it as?

It's a good compromise in my opinion. I dont subscribe to the view by some that Hendo is 'injury prone.' Last season and even the re started 2019/20 were outliers.

People complain our players are played to death yet if they dont play a minimum 38 PL games and others, they arent fit to play.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's 2 years with an optional 3rd based on appearances in the previous 2, I read it as?

It's a good compromise in my opinion. I dont subscribe to the view by some that Hendo is 'injury prone.' Last season and even the re started 2019/20 were outliers.

People complain our players are played to death yet if they dont play a minimum 38 PL games and others, they arent fit to play.

I read it as 3 years with a 4th optional but given he's already under contract for 2 years I'm  looking at the 'new' years hence the 1 +1.

Probably wrong though.

24 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I read it as 3 years with a 4th optional but given he's already under contract for 2 years I'm  looking at the 'new' years hence the 1 +1.

Probably wrong though.

Ah right. No, I think I got it wrong. It's supposedly 3 years with a 4th depending on appearances. Good news, at least it's been offered and hopefully he signs!

Hopefully the optional 1 year then becomes recurring, if he triggers it. Think he’d be 34/35 by the end of this contract wouldn’t he. That Milner role in the squad is invaluable.

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

Hopefully the optional 1 year then becomes recurring, if he triggers it. Think he’d be 34/35 by the end of this contract wouldn’t he. That Milner role in the squad is invaluable.

Never understood the criticism at the time the story broke, Utd rarely dished out massive contracts post 30, same with Arsenal. Giggs was on a rolling 1 year deal for the last 3 or 4 years he was at Utd.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Probably wrong though.

it seems pretty reasonable to me - gives him effectively one more year than he has now, the 4th is dependent on him playing 23/24 and if he does, he gets 24/25 - by which time if he's still going surely a year by year signed after the midseason point is the fair answer there. 

Just give him whatever he wants plus another 10 years. He’s been integral to our success, and quite frankly I don’t want to live in a world where he doesn’t retire here