You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I can’t go that far, and don’t see him as the best player in the league. He is an important component in our midfield though. That’s something he hasn’t always been. He is driving force behind the team being mentality monsters. Over the last couple of seasons he has to take extreme credit for his rise in level. 

He’s clearly not. I should’ve phrased it as the player who’s had the best season in the league (which is what the criterion is for the PFA award). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Hendo is the POTY year for me. I think it has to be a Liverpool player and we clearly have at least six or seven serious candidates. However, he’s just so fucking consistent at such a high level and drives everyone around him too. He’s a fantastic player and a great, great captain.

No-one else at the club has maintained such heights without a dip. Hendo has been unreal throughout this most incredible of seasons and should therefore be recognised as what he is: the best player in the league. 

Completely agree. Since Southampton away last season he’s consistently played at a level that I think most people didn’t know he had. He’s the driving force in this team. He sets the standard across the board

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's unbelievable the progress he has made. He wins every ball, he runs more than anyone else. He just plays with such intensity now. You get the feeling opponents don't want to face him. 

Definitely.

Something changed in him about 18 months ago, something seems to have clicked, he's playing with a self confidence and belief which he never seemed to have.

To say he's improved in that time is a huge understatement, he really seems to have completely reinvented himself and he is a much, MUCH better player for it.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Definitely.

Something changed in him about 18 months ago, something seems to have clicked, he's playing with a self confidence and belief which he never seemed to have.

To say he's improved in that time is a huge understatement, he really seems to have completely reinvented himself and he is a much, MUCH better player for it.

*LFD does not like this*

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Definitely.

That’s dead right. He’s the midfielder we always wanted him to be now. 

I doubt he’s any more or less confident off the field, he’s always been massively well regarded by managers and players, but on the field he is playing at a much higher level.

even the goal he scored yesterday screams it. Two years ago he was getting similar chances and hitting them first time over the bar from there.

now, he’s more confident, calmer and I never doubted he’d find the net, and I dont reckon he did either.

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Anyone who doesn't recognise Henderson's obvious improvement over the last year and a half must be fucking barmy.

He’s certainly improved but he was never close to being as horrible a footballer as you used to claim every week.

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2020 at 06:27, Numero Veinticinco said:

He is an important component in our midfield though.

I’ve probably defended him more than anyone on here over the years. Been a huge fan of his. 

Don’t think he should be player of the year though. He’s been great, but so have so many of our players. I just think he was struggling at start of season in the 8 position. I say struggling, not play to this incredibly high level he is now, he was still good. But I’d probably give it to Mane personally. 

That said - I would love him to win it for him after all the shit he has been through. 

I don’t agree with those wanting him to go back to 8. Although he can clearly do it, I prefer him as the 6. With Naby & Gini, Ox as the 8s. 

But he has ALWAYS made our midfield better. We saw that when we challenged for the league under Rodgers & ever since. Hence why players like Allen have found their level in Championship. 

He used to be appreciated more when he wasn’t in the team. Now after CL victory, seems our fans believe he can lead us to win the big trophies so he’s appreciated more. But I think his game has elevated since No6 too as a weight seems to have lifted off his shoulders & he has no fear now. 

Great to see! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LF:D said:

I’ve probably defended him more than anyone on here over the years. Been a huge fan of his. 

Don’t think he should be player of the year though. He’s been great, but so have so many of our players. I just think he was struggling at start of season in the 8 position. I say struggling, not play to this incredibly high level he is now, he was still good. But I’d probably give it to Mane personally. 

That said - I would love him to win it for him after all the shit he has been through. 

I don’t agree with those wanting him to go back to 8. Although he can clearly do it, I prefer him as the 6. With Naby & Gini, Ox as the 8s. 

But he has ALWAYS made our midfield better. We saw that when we challenged for the league under Rodgers & ever since. Hence why players like Allen have found their level in Championship. 

He used to be appreciated more when he wasn’t in the team. Now after CL victory, seems our fans believe he can lead us to win the big trophies so he’s appreciated more. But I think his game has elevated since No6 too as a weight seems to have lifted off his shoulders & he has no fear now. 

Great to see! 

Welcome back, mate.

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The idea that he is a better DMid than Fabinho is batshit

The idea Henderson has contributed more, and been more important to the team is, however, not batshit.

That doesn't belittle Fabinhos brilliant play pre-injury. It's just that Henderson has been more influential. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The idea Henderson has contributed more, and been more important to the team is, however, not batshit.

That doesn't belittle Fabinhos brilliant play pre-injury. It's just that Henderson has been more influential. 

I did not say it was -- his form improved when he moved forward into the 8 slot last season. He has kicked on well this year with his influence being from the 8.

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I did not say it was -- his form improved when he moved forward into the 8 slot last season. He has kicked on well this year with his influence being from the 8.

Absolutely true.  But I do think that the obvious positive effect with that move to 8 on his confidence has seen him keep up that quality when he had to come back and cover after Fabinhos injury.  His level has not dropped off.  

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The idea that he is a better DMid than Fabinho is batshit

Who said he was? 

I think he’s in better form though & they are both equally brilliant as 6, but have different strengths & weaknesses. 

Think Gini is a great 6 too, but he’s too valuable as an 8. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)