You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

From what he said in that interview, it was the owners/club that wanted to offload him to Fulham, not Rodgers.

3 hours ago, Justice Negs said:

Haha. I can certainly believe that’s what Brendan told him. Over the music at a Dizzee Rascal gig.

I know this story pretty well as I knew someone on the Fulham side of this. In the April when Kenny was still the manager, members of FSG got in a discussion with Dempsey's people. They were all in on getting him to the club as they believed he would pay for himself as he was high profile in America at the time. Contract terms were agreed and Dempsey's team said they thought Fulham would accept around 1.5m for him as he only had 12 months contract left. To be clear this was an FSG signing and nothing to do with Kenny. 

The season ended, Dempsey said all his goodbyes to the Fulham squad, cleared out his locker and it was no secret that he was going to Liverpool. 

When Rodgers was offered the job, one of the conditions was he needed to accept Dempsey was coming in and his cost was coming out of his budget. 

Time went by and we put in an offer for around £1m. Dempsey's agent I believe had been told he wouldn't go for less than 5m. Fulham got the hump with us as they felt because we'd already agreed his contract we were just trying to bully them. When it became clear Fulham wouldn't budge and we had no other money left to offer (i seem to remember our final offer was about 2m), they came back asking for one of two players as part-ex, obviously Henderson was one (I genuinely can't remember the other). Anyway, FSG told Fulham that they would throw this to Rodgers to see which one he'd prefer to give up. Luckily Henderson scuppered the deal. 

• Upvote 3

On 21/08/2021 at 11:03, El Rojo said:

Funny also to think that the conventional wisdom on here and elsewhere when we signed him was that Man United had secured their future success by signing Phil Jones, while we’d signed a dud.

Manchester United defender Phil Jones is ready to consider a loan move to a Championship club, with the 29-year-old English centre-back having fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Manchester United defender Phil Jones is ready to consider a loan move to a Championship club, with the 29-year-old English centre-back having fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

I remember about 10 years ago a Manc - who had spent years watching Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic, etc. - telling me that there central defence was going to be rock solid for the next decade because they had Jones and Smalling.

54 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I remember about 10 years ago a Manc - who had spent years watching Bruce, Pallister, Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic, etc. - telling me that there central defence was going to be rock solid for the next decade because they had Jones and Smalling.

I think there's some quote of Ferguson's when they signed him that he could potentially be their greatest ever player. 

On 21/08/2021 at 17:51, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One of my mates met him last week. My second reaction (after the obvious envy) was to tell him to fasten his fucking laces: we don't need any injuries!

Screenshot_2021-08-21-17-46-31-37.jpg

Klopp’s words are already having an effect on here because everyone’s scared to make a quip about Hendo bending over to tie his shoelaces. 

12 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Was watching the game back from Saturday and every time Trent pushed forward or went central, there was Hendo in the background, filling in at full back. So good to have this lad back in the team.

Ah, but he will never amount to anything,ready salted,horrendouson,etc,etc.

• 3 weeks later...

What a winner for us mid week.

The biggest shithouse thing this forum has done is slag off the captain (mostly unjustly) for years in this thread.

Then changing the title to make out it is an appreciation thread when we win the CL & PL.

No it was a thread started to slag off our legendary & world class captain. 

• Downvote 4

On 25/08/2021 at 14:16, TheHowieLama said:

If he could finish he would be world class.

He's a very good finisher & showed it plenty of times.

He's just usually being unselfish for the team and doesn't get in those areas as much to do so.

He is world class.  You don't captain & be a regular in the CL & PL winners, a team that achieved 97 then 99 points (of which he got footballers writers award), unless you are world class.  

There's a reason why he's been a constant for Klopp more often than not. 

Still underrated then! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)