You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Ali

Trent

Robbo

Virg'

Joel

Joe

Konate

Jones

Fab

Hendo

Thiago

Jota

Bobby

Mo 

Sadio

I'd say we've got 15 with potentially Ox as a 16th fitness permitting.

Yes, maybe I was being a bit optimistic with 22.

I agree with that 15. Kelleher or Adrian are good enough as a No.2.

I'd have Ox in there, when not injured, I like him. Even when he's not playing well, he contributes goals and assists. 

Milner is certainly in there.

Tsimikas is an unknown quantity. When he's been available, he's looked alright. I'll be interested to see him tonight. 

Agreed on the omissions of Origi, Minamino & Shaq (although Shaq does have quality).  From reading the articles, it looks like they are all available to depart anyway.

So I'd say 19 players. 19.25 if you include Keita. And I expect at least 2 more arrivals (a forward and midfielder). Which would take us, to an admitadly, optimistic 21.

If Neco Williams leaves, which I have no issue if he does, he needs replacing to make the 22. Given Milner can fill in there adequately, you can count him as 2 (or 3) player

15 hours ago, aws said:

I'd agree that we've only got 15/16 top quality players but that's been the case for the last three seasons. The squad is more than good enough to compete if we are more or less injury free but we need 2/3 more players if we want to have some insurance against bad luck with injuries or to compete in all competitions. 

Completely agree, if our injuries are as catastrophic as last season we'll have had outrageously bad luck. If injuries stay similar to the 18/19 & 19/20 seasons, we'll be close in the CL & Premiership again.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, an tha said:

Milner 35

Hendo 31

Thiago 30

VVD 30

Firmino 30 soon

Matip 30 in a couple of weeks

Salah 29

Mane 29

We have an ageing squad profile without any doubt.

I don't think anybody doubts this is Milner's last season with us. 

I'd assume Hendo then takes the role of elder statesman in the squad. He likely won't play every week but his influence & professionalism will be / continue to be vital

As long as he comes back from his injury Ok (and there is no reason he shouldn't) then, IMO, VVD should be able to play at the top level like Ramos, Bonucci & Chiellini for a good few seasons yet.

Although given his persistent injuries I'm less convinced, but Matip is similar. However, if Matip doesn't make it, we have Gomez and Konate, in their early / mid 20's to step up.

Touch wood, Firmino, Mane & Salah have never had any serious injuries. I'm yet to see Mane or Salah drop half a yard in pace.

I'm not sweeping it all under the carpet, starting this window, we absolutely could do with a bit of a freshen up, IMO, it's not something that needs immediate sweeping changes.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

Ali

Trent

Robbo

Virg'

Joel

Joe

Konate

Jones

Fab

Hendo

Thiago

Jota

Bobby

Mo 

Sadio

I'd say we've got 15 with potentially Ox as a 16th fitness permitting.

I’d agree with those 15, plus Milner makes 16. 

No fucking chance with Ox, even if fit he’s bang average and not good enough. I assumed he was injured for the vast majority of last season, turns out he wasn’t. 

Klopp just didn’t trust him in the most compressed season ever when we were decimated by injuries. 

If you wanted to add Harvey Elliot that makes 17, still a long way off 22. 

The squad is also older than when it won the CL and PL, has come off 2 very heavy seasons and several key players are still coming back from major injuries. 

We’re miles off the likes of City and Chelsea for squad depth. 

I'd keep Ox. We won't get much for him anyway with his injuries and if he can stay fit (I know) then he's a talented player. 

Keita can go, I'm sick of getting my hopes up with him. When he was given a go last season he stunk the place out. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd keep Ox. We won't get much for him anyway with his injuries and if he can stay fit (I know) then he's a talented player. 

Keita can go, I'm sick of getting my hopes up with him. When he was given a go last season he stunk the place out. 

Fuck them both off, complete waste of money. 

Aren’t they both on £100k a week plus? 

The only thing consistent about Ox and Keita is their ability to not be available for a run of games. 

We need a midfield replacement for Gini as he was Mr. Reliable always available if we go into this season with those two useless cunts we'll have problems.

we had a defensive crisis last season we'll end up having a midfield one this season as Hendo injury record over the last 12 months doesn't look great either.

Keita is the equivalent of Mercedes giving Lewis Hamilton a car with 1 wheel and a fucked accelerator pedal, then trying to extol the virtues of its flashy paintwork. I couldn’t give a shit how good his vertical passing is, how he controlled games in Germany or that he has a good age profile. He’s either up on bricks or available but looks like he’s playing in the wrong age group. 

He’s been a proven time and money sink with us for 3 years now, so crossing fingers and hoping it will all be different this season requires being credulous enough to watch the latest Bond film and think there’s a chance he might die during the opening credits. No offence to the lad, like, but we won’t buy someone we can rely on in his position while he’s still here, so fire him into the fucking sea already.

YNWA Naby, etc.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d agree with those 15, plus Milner makes 16. 

No fucking chance with Ox, even if fit he’s bang average and not good enough. I assumed he was injured for the vast majority of last season, turns out he wasn’t. 

Klopp just didn’t trust him in the most compressed season ever when we were decimated by injuries. 

If you wanted to add Harvey Elliot that makes 17, still a long way off 22. 

The squad is also older than when it won the CL and PL, has come off 2 very heavy seasons and several key players are still coming back from major injuries. 

We’re miles off the likes of City and Chelsea for squad depth. 

Thats no different for the past 12 seasons!

Although I think we could certainly do with a refresh (we definitely need a midfielder and preferably another attacker), I don't think the age thing is that much of an issue.

Just now, Scott_M said:

Thats no different for the past 12 seasons!

Although I think we could certainly do with a refresh (we definitely need a midfielder and preferably another attacker), I don't think the age thing is that much of an issue.

And we’ve been short staffed for fuck knows how long, that’s the point! 

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

As tradition dictates, the Liverpool fans gather in summer months, to invoke the football Gods to somehow transform Keita into a functioning footballer or fuck him off.

Their calls will go unanswered.

I’d absolutely love for him to come out swinging,  be the player we all thought we were signing and prove everybody, myself included, wrong.

I just can’t see it. 

I joked in the preseason forum, it would surprise me if he was awesome in these upcoming pre-season games, started at Norwich and then limped off after 20 mins. 

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Those two are exception though, nobody else can compete with them for squad depth, even the mancs. 

If only I wasn’t asking for us to match their spending or hoarding of players. 

If only I’d like us to go into the season with more than 17 players. 

17 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

If only I wasn’t asking for us to match their spending or hoarding of players. 

If only I’d like us to go into the season with more than 17 players. 

If you’re clearer on the points you’re making, then I’d agree! 

I think we will go with >17 players. I’ll be amazed if we don’t. I agree my 22, based on who we have now is optimistic but it shouldn’t be come September. 

Well, I sincerely hope not anyway.

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If you’re clearer on the points you’re making, then I’d agree! 

I think we will go with >17 players. I’ll be amazed if we do. 

The owners expect Klopp to perform miracles without giving him the resources he needs. They then leak to the media the wage bill is spiralling out of control because they’ve had to pay the performance related contracts they insisted on after we actually won the CL and PL. 

That clear enough? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

The owners expect Klopp to perform miracles without giving him the resources he’s needs. They then leak to the media the wage bill is spiralling out of control because they’ve had to pay the performance related contracts they insisted on after we actually won the CL and PL. 

That clear enough? 

Well, that bit is.

Still don’t fully understand the point.

Given what they’ve achieved in the past few seasons and half the team are recognised as being in the best in their position on the planet, shouldn’t we pay them well? 

It is worth noting, but here contracts were all agreed before the club took a £120m loss in income.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I’d absolutely love for him to come out swinging,  be the player we all thought we were signing and prove everybody, myself included, wrong.

I just can’t see it. 

I joked in the preseason forum, it would surprise me if he was awesome in these upcoming pre-season games, started at Norwich and then limped off after 20 mins. 

I'm much the same. He'll be considered statistically good by some, - because he's got good metrics in his fleeting appearances - but your eyes tell you different.

He was signed as a proper box-to-box 8 and, other than a brief glimpse of his Bundesliga form, has failed to look anything like one. If anything, he seems strangely timid.

Can see him leaving on a free.

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm much the same. He'll be considered statistically good by some, - because he's got good metrics in his fleeting appearances - but your eyes tell you different.

He was signed as a proper box-to-box 8 and, other than a brief glimpse of his Bundesliga form, has failed to look anything like one. If anything, he seems strangely timid.

@Dr Nowt

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

We’re talking about a fourth choice midfielder here BBN. He won’t start if everyone is fit. Say we have a midweek game against PSG and we want to rest Thiago against Watford on the weekend prior, I wouldn’t be overly concerned to see him start that game. The alternative is spending £30m+ for someone to sit on the bench against the bigger teams.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)