You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

50 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Don't see why the would sell him when they didn't sell Can or Gini

Let him play out the last two years.

I don't like or dislike FSG as owners. I can see the issue with this one, 2 years left, will be 33 when the deals up. Ongoing injury issues only likely to get worse. You can see why the club would be hesitant to give him more than a 1 year extension without much of a wage rise. The issue is more the normal bollocks about, next year is the year to spend big. I get the feeling they are happy to let Klopp see out his deal with the current team and then all change after that with the squad them being in its early 30s and needing replaced it could easily lead us to a Arsenal type situation of years on the outside looking in. 

Seems to be the case, Klopp only has a few years left with us anyway, I can see why FSG aren't enthusiastic about giving our 30+ year old players contracts that go multiple years beyond Klopps does. It's looking more likely that they want the next manager to have as much of a clean slate as possible.

11 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Seems to be the case, Klopp only has a few years left with us anyway, I can see why FSG aren't enthusiastic about giving our 30+ year old players contracts that go multiple years beyond Klopps does. It's looking more likely that they want the next manager to have as much of a clean slate as possible.

As i said the issue with that will be trying to build a whole new team, especially under a ownership group that wont just give the new manager a free cheque book to go out and get a new team. 

I can see them giving the job to Gerrard, whatever happens thinking the fans will give him time 

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

We all love hendo but if, IF someone offers big money for him considering his injury record in the last two seasons we should consider it.  Felt awful writing that. 

So you should. What’s big money? And who’s the replacement. ?

If we want to try and win the league and European cup this season then we need Henderson. Selling him last minute and scrabbling round for a big money replacement would be a disaster.

Klopp has what - two, three seasons left here? We need to make these seasons count while we can because God only knows what happens when he finishes up. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

If we want to try and win the league and European cup this season then we need Henderson. Selling him last minute and scrabbling round for a big money replacement would be a disaster.

Klopp has what - two, three seasons left here? We need to make these seasons count while we can because God only knows what happens when he finishes up. 

All the leaving stuff is all agent talk, FSG have shown they will let him run his contract down rather than sell.

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Selling would be daft. That doesn’t mean he should be given a big fat contract for the sake of it. We’ve been pretty ruthless with our European cup winning captains over the years.

This is it in a nutshell. He’s a very good player but the contract he’s in now is actually perfect for us.

11 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

All the leaving stuff is all agent talk, FSG have shown they will let him run his contract down rather than sell.

But the talk is he doesn't want to run down his contract - if he doesn't get an extension (like half his teammates are getting) then he'll leave this summer. 

36 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

But the talk is he doesn't want to run down his contract - if he doesn't get an extension (like half his teammates are getting) then he'll leave this summer. 

Letting him leave now(not that I believe this shite)would be ridiculous and possibly catastrophic given he is club captain and a starter when fit. I can only guess this is the agent trying to stir up shit for their cut,I mean client.

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Letting him leave now(not that I believe this shite)would be ridiculous and possibly catastrophic given he is club captain and a starter when fit. I can only guess this is the agent trying to stir up shit for their cut,I mean client.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is it not pretty straight forward though? He's 31, wants his 4 or 5 years to plan out the final stage of his career. If we don't want to extend, there's a problem. While it's obvious fsg are happy to let players run down their contracts, that's pretty much happened with the cooperation of the player. If the player wants out, it's completely different and klopp never wants to keep anyone who wants to go. It'll be interesting to see what happens once Henderson is back off holiday. This would feel like Henderson wants to move on if we can't agree a long term deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

If he wants to go the bad back route (which I doubt)  route , FSG know how to deal with that too.    And those 1/2 of his teammates are under 30, it matters in football, henderson understands that.  Pretty transparent agent talk.

I don't get why we couldn't run down his contract like with the others. Maybe he doesn't want to, but I couldn't see why. If he kept up a good level by the end, he could get a final great contract with big wages somewhere else. Selling him is indeed not the move. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)