You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

I like Henderson and think on his day he's a very good player, we probably don't see it enough, but I believe he'll become a vital player for us in the next season or two. Get a box to box midfielder along side him and Lallana and we'll be in business. With that said, good on him for calling the meeting but why the club thought the public should know about it now boggles my mind. If we end up finishing second, then fair enough, talk about it then, but after 1 win? What if we lose our next game or the one after that?

And yeah, not sure why people are still looking at the captaincy and thinking it means that much anymore. I honestly can't think of a captain in the league that makes me think 'wow what a leader. I wish we had that' those days are long gone.

• Upvote 1

Lallana was skipper at Southampton for 2 years

Has anyone else got the experience if Henderson is stood down ?

Milner for me is the obvious choice as long as he's in the team. Short term I'd say we're short of other good options, long term Matip could perhaps be a good captain. Has a certain authority about him. Agree however that many other things are more important than whos captain.

Milner for me is the obvious choice as long as he's in the team. Short term I'd say we're short of other good options, long term Matip could perhaps be a good captain. Has a certain authority about him. Agree however that many other things are more important than whos captain.

Milner is not a long term answer. Ideal stop gap but at some point we will get a left back and he will spend time on the bench. 

He's been playing well this season. Got no real complaints. As long as he keeps playing at a decent level, I couldn't care less about his perceived lack of authority or leadership skills.

The bigger issue for me is that we might decide not to buy a first eleven quality midfielder because we think he's become some sort of midfield general. I think he's generally improved as a player but it doesn't mask the fact that our midfield is still abhorrent far too often, especially against the smaller sides. We still need a good midfielder this summer and if that means our captain finds himself on the bench sometimes then so be it.

At home games off camera he is in the ref's face a lot during the game. Cant speak for aways cos I dont do them now.

I was within earshot of him bellowing "Our fucking ball" at a linesman who had (correctly) given the visitors a throw-in a few weeks ago.

It warmed the cockles of my heart a little bit.

I've seen some proper captains at the club - Tommy Smith, Crazy Horse, Thommo, Kenny, Souey, Ronnie Whelan, Alan Hansen and Stevie to name a few.

All players of real substance who could stick the boot in and carried real authority. All players that knew the dirty arts of the game and the cynicism that wins trophies. All knew how to control a game, the rhythm of it and how to take the sting out of it at difficult times.

I actually like Henderson. He's a nice lad and is a good player. My main issue is that he could be so much better. However, it takes more than shouting at a ref or linesman to be a captain. It takes qualities like the above.

Modern football is different but the winning teams always have players who can do it. Chelsea are a prime example. 7 times out of 10 they go to a Stoke, Burnley or West Brom and win often by a goal. Thats the mark of a champion.

• Upvote 1

I've seen some proper captains at the club - Tommy Smith, Crazy Horse, Thommo, Kenny, Souey, Ronnie Whelan, Alan Hansen and Stevie to name a few.

All players of real substance who could stick the boot in and carried real authority. All players that knew the dirty arts of the game and the cynicism that wins trophies. All knew how to control a game, the rhythm of it and how to take the sting out of it at difficult times.

I actually like Henderson. He's a nice lad and is a good player. My main issue is that he could be so much better. However, it takes more than shouting at a ref or linesman to be a captain. It takes qualities like the above.

Modern football is different but the winning teams always have players who can do it. Chelsea are a prime example. 7 times out of 10 they go to a Stoke, Burnley or West Brom and win often by a goal. Thats the mark of a champion.

As you say,the game has changed a lot from back then and a captains role has become more of a lead by example type of thing. He is well respected by his team mates and I think this is probably the main reason for him being there.

I think the captain argument is one of the less important issues at the moment and the paper thin and unbalanced squad takes a much higher priority for me.

Ronnie whelan wasn't that well liked. He had to earn it. He became the captain after he proved he was a good enough footballer and won things.

Henderson is having to prove he's a good enough footballer and worthy of the captaincy at the same time. Ultimately it will be about what trophies he lifts and he has none so far.

lallana for captain!? Based on what, that he plays a good game or bollocks young players like Arnold Alexander for a wayward pass? No thanks.

A captain is only good for kick off and talking to the ref (in that instance Henderson is always in the ref's face if you watch the games). Once the game kicks off, everyone of the players should be a 'captain.'

Bullshit

Have you ever played football? 

Football or any sport is about talent, ability and application. Some humans can apply their talent better than others. In team sports, like football, there will ALWAYS be a few players with more talent or better application or better ability than the rest of the team.

Otherwise you would have 11 Ronaldo's or Messi's in every team.

In a team game the players who show that talent are the ones who the other's look to for inspiration when the times are bad or the going gets tough. It's just a natural in-built human instinct. This 11 captains is a load of horse shit and is just a saying for idiots or the tabloid papers.

We need a captain who can inspire us, and has the ability to change a match when the going gets tough, because that is what then gets the 10 other players believing again. Henderson rarely does this, he's too frightened of making a mistake. He doesn't want to take a risk through "fear" of making a mistake, and that is what limits his game to what we see most weeks.

But leading 10 other grown men in front of 50,000+ fans isn't as easy as it sounds. I think he should stay in our squad but we need a better leader out there every week. These are the guys that win you titles because there is always difficult moments in every game and season. 

• Upvote 2

Didn't win much when Gerrard was.

I don't really think Henderson being captain is the REASON we won't win anything, but rather that Henderson being captain is symptomatic of a general weakness in the squad if he is the best we've got.

Gerrard wasn't that great of a captain, but he certainly wasn't the reason we won fuck all with him at the helm. It was more to do with being forced to play with the likes of Paulson and Josemi for so long.

I don't really think Henderson being captain is the REASON we won't win anything, but rather that Henderson being captain is symptomatic of a general weakness in the squad if he is the best we've got.

Gerrard wasn't that great of a captain, but he certainly wasn't the reason we won fuck all with him at the helm. It was more to do with being forced to play with the likes of Paulson and Josemi for so long.

Agree with all that, but I don't think I rank it too high up the list of our necessities, eg. a goalkeeper who does all those goalkeepery things they're meant to.

I just Googled who Chelsea have as captain this year, and the winning captain last year was Wes Morgan.

Agree with all that, but I don't think I rank it too high up the list of our necessities, eg. a goalkeeper who does all those goalkeepery things they're meant to.

I just Googled who Chelsea have as captain this year, and the winning captain last year was Wes Morgan.

Wes Morgan  and Huth played well last season and were a very solid platform, 

They both look shot now and is one of the main reasons Leicester are now a rail crash 

Wes Morgan and Huth played well last season and were a very solid platform,

They both look shot now and is one of the main reasons Leicester are now a rail crash

And they had Kante in front of them to stop them looking like ex forest and boro defenders.

Bullshit

Have you ever played football? 

Football or any sport is about talent, ability and application. Some humans can apply their talent better than others. In team sports, like football, there will ALWAYS be a few players with more talent or better application or better ability than the rest of the team.

Otherwise you would have 11 Ronaldo's or Messi's in every team.

In a team game the players who show that talent are the ones who the other's look to for inspiration when the times are bad or the going gets tough. It's just a natural in-built human instinct. This 11 captains is a load of horse shit and is just a saying for idiots or the tabloid papers.

We need a captain who can inspire us, and has the ability to change a match when the going gets tough, because that is what then gets the 10 other players believing again. Henderson rarely does this, he's too frightened of making a mistake. He doesn't want to take a risk through "fear" of making a mistake, and that is what limits his game to what we see most weeks.

But leading 10 other grown men in front of 50,000+ fans isn't as easy as it sounds. I think he should stay in our squad but we need a better leader out there every week. These are the guys that win you titles because there is always difficult moments in every game and season.

All this is fair enough, so which of our current players should be captain in your opinion?

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)