You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

On 02/08/2022 at 11:53, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm sure he's got more interesting stuff in his 32 years than I have in my 56.

Yet you just know it will be the typical "still playing at the highest level" type of autobiography. Dull as dishwater. Do it when you have retired Jordan, so you can call Suarez, Rodgers and Ferguson all the names under the sun*

*He won't anyway, he's far too nice   

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

It's mad that a captain who has lifted pretty much every possible trophy as skipper of possibly our greatest side ever won't get close to 95% of Liverpool fans all time Reds 11's. 

All time?  You could push that percentage closer to 100 and damn right too.  We’ve just had far too many great midfielders down the years for him to be even mentioned.

What’s  mad, is I’d say there’s a huge number who don’t think he should have been starting, now or in past seasons. 

Just now, Grinch said:

All time?  You could push that percentage closer to 100 and damn right too.  We’ve just had far too many great midfielders down the years for him to be even mentioned.

What’s  mad, is I’d say there’s a huge number who don’t think he should have been starting, now or in past seasons. 

I'm thinking the much younger generation and the ones who will use present day fitness as a marker over natural talent. Not to say he isn't naturally a very talented player. He's been brilliant for us and we definitely miss him when he's out. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It's mad that a captain who has lifted pretty much every possible trophy as skipper of possibly our greatest side ever won't get close to 95% of Liverpool fans all time Reds 11's. 

I think Henderson gets in every Liverpool side of the past 20-30 years.  Even 08/09. Henderson at his peak is hugely influential and his quality is often forgotten about, his drive and work ethic is his biggest asset and the impact it has higher up the pitch can't be underestimated. 

At the risk of making some mad shout, my view on Henderson in comparison to say Alonso is that whilst Alonso has more natural ability, I think if you put peak Henderson in the 08/09 team, 01/02 team and 13/14 as well we win the leagues on those occasions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Antynwa said:

I think Henderson gets in every Liverpool side of the past 20-30 years.  Even 08/09. Henderson at his peak is hugely influential and his quality is often forgotten about, his drive and work ethic is his biggest asset and the impact it has higher up the pitch can't be underestimated. 

At the risk of making some mad shout, my view on Henderson in comparison to say Alonso is that whilst Alonso has more natural ability, I think if you put peak Henderson in the 08/09 team, 01/02 team and 13/14 as well we win the leagues on those occasions.

Don't even need peak Jordan for 13/14. Just needed 13/14 Jordan for that fucking Chelsea game. 

• Upvote 5

Henderson and gerrard did not compliment each other at all, Henderson came into his own when gerrard left. For that reason I’d say Henderson and gerrard would be captains of different teams, not the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Henderson is suffering from getting older in a team where, had the right recruitment been made, he wouldn’t be so exposed or relied upon.
He’s not the only one.

I think he’s been a brilliant asset since he came here, one of the best captains I’ve seen, and if he hasn’t been blessed with the technical skills of some previous midfielders we’ve had, he’s certainly been one of the hardest workers.

In the top 100 players?
I think so.

Getting unfair stick at the moment despite doing a decent job under the circumstances. If our defence is poor 'its hendo's fault' even if he's not on the pitch. He did ok last night playing a solid 'bits and pieces' role and has looked injured or niggled for a while. While our midfield has been underwhelming of late its more down to setting up a midfield that is functional and built around a certain set of speedy forwards,one who now isnt there. We've missed Mane because him and Mo could create space for each other and occupy defenders,carry the ball quickly from defence to attack and our midfield just needed to back that up. Hendo and Fabinho get criticised for being exactly who they always have been but in a team that has changed around them,the attack and the defence. If Hendo is hamstrung we will miss him because whatever his faults he is generally reliable while arguably 'better' players are simply constantly unavailable for selection.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Getting unfair stick at the moment despite doing a decent job under the circumstances. If our defence is poor 'its hendo's fault' even if he's not on the pitch. He did ok last night playing a solid 'bits and pieces' role and has looked injured or niggled for a while. While our midfield has been underwhelming of late its more down to setting up a midfield that is functional and built around a certain set of speedy forwards,one who now isnt there. We've missed Mane because him and Mo could create space for each other and occupy defenders,carry the ball quickly from defence to attack and our midfield just needed to back that up. Hendo and Fabinho get criticised for being exactly who they always have been but in a team that has changed around them,the attack and the defence. If Hendo is hamstrung we will miss him because whatever his faults he is generally reliable while arguably 'better' players are simply constantly unavailable for selection.

I thought he was fucking garbage last night. In fact I would go as far as say one of the worst games he's ever had for us. He was out of position all the time, seemingly unable to work out where his team mates where when we didn't have the ball - is it really that hard to move from right 8 to left 8. He bottled several challenges - some of which he was favourite to get the ball and didn't even try to get there, just stood like a rabbit in the headlights. He might well have been sacrificing himself and playing with an injury because we have nobody else. But he was fucking shocking. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought he was fucking garbage last night. In fact I would go as far as say one of the worst games he's ever had for us. He was out of position all the time, seemingly unable to work out where his team mates where when we didn't have the ball - is it really that hard to move from right 8 to left 8. He bottled several challenges - some of which he was favourite to get the ball and didn't even try to get there, just stood like a rabbit in the headlights. He might well have been sacrificing himself and playing with an injury because we have nobody else. But he was fucking shocking. 

Opinions eh. I'm still unsure how one of the best managers in the world relies on such a shit player.

I will add though that I watch the games without sound so I feel less inclined to believe the shite the commentator and analysts have you believe.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Opinions eh. I'm still unsure how one of the best managers in the world relies on such a shit player.

I will add though that I watch the games without sound so I feel less inclined to believe the shite the commentator and analysts have you believe.

It's dead easy. Look at the managers options and you can see why Henderson was on the pitch last night and was kept on so late. 

I was at the match, so I have no idea what the fuck the commentators say. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)