You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

No, it shows that Cazorla is a better midfielder, which he is, regardless of style.

This season, Pogba has averaged more tackles and more interceptions than our "box to box" Hendo. I admit I haven't seen as much Juve this year since I moved to London, but last year where I watched more than a dozen Juve games, Pogba was the definition of a box-to-box midfielder.

He averages more tackles and interceptions than Henderson because Henderson is shite, not because he actually defends that much. Pogba also averages as many tackles per game as Iniesta. Does that make Iniesta a box to box midfielder?

The simple point is that except for very few exceptions, box to box midfielders aren't needed anymore.

I've never really rated Henderson. But he's definitely gone backwards, for whatever reason...

It has to be because of that. Also it could be that a lot of our players would be great as supporting acts in a good team and when there is no real quality around them they look very average. It's probably a bit of both. 

It's why I don't think we're that far away. If we can add a couple of bits of quality (i know we've heard that a million times before) then we could end up really having a good go next season. All 'if's' though.

Yaya Toure gets played both as a CM and as an AM, he's not as dynamic as he used to, but at his best for City he definitely was.

Aaron Ramsey has averaged more tackles and more interceptions per game than our defensive midfielder Can, so to say he doesn't defend at all is incorrect. The reason he gets played wide when Cazorla is fit is simply because Cazorla is a better CM, not because Ramsey isn't a box to box player.

Toure was never a box to box midfielder hence why he has looked totally goosed when playing in the middle for City. He's always looked good playing further forward for instance when they beat us to the league in 2014 and he scored over 20 goals. It's why Guardiola shipped him out too.

Henderson was bought by Kenny as a young player who could become a partner for a player such as Stevie G and was sorely missed in our title 'close call' season. I dont think he was ever expected to fill Gerrard's role but such has been the incompetence of our transfer policy we are completely disjointed and unbalanced in our midfield set up. While I wouldnt be surprised to see Henderson,Can or Milner moved on this summer I expect Klopp to keep them all and simply add more quality rather than 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater.'

To be fair to Henderson he has always wanted to play,even when injured. Its not Henderson's fault he is captain,the last dimwit in charge tried to offload him before doing a massive u turn in his thinking.

There are always 'water carriers' needed its just that we have a midfield full of them.

• Upvote 1

Mental gymnastics going back 15 years in defense of a weak-willed and non-winning player by a well meaning supporter is a good example of what is helping to keep us 3rd rate. He's not good enough. He's not hard enough. He doesn't want it enough. Get someone else.

Great post.  I like the lad but I would have no regrets if he was fucked off at the end of the season, along with a good few others.

The Captain's lack of bollocks reflects the quality and lack of bollocks of the team and the Club, as an organisation.

I liked Henderson, but I recognise that we need far more from that position (midfield) and role (captain). Perhaps he is already past his best.

The captain thing is a bit unfair on him. Obviously he isnt a captain,Lucas should be captain at present,but a captains role at the club has become much less relevant over the years. Sami failed as a captain but was absolutely brilliant as a player and Gerrard wasnt really a captain,just a great player given the role. To be honest Carra would have been the more natural choice for the role. As for Henderson,I feel sorry for him as its a thankless task being the captain of this shite.

He averages more tackles and interceptions than Henderson because Henderson is shite, not because he actually defends that much. Pogba also averages as many tackles per game as Iniesta. Does that make Iniesta a box to box midfielder?

The simple point is that except for very few exceptions, box to box midfielders aren't needed anymore.

Except for maybe at two of the best clubs I the world i.e. Barca and Bayern.... Oh and Juve as well... Box to box midfielders aren't needed any more?

Boy could we do with old Steven Gerrard, or old Vieira, or Vidal, or Rakitic, or Pogba.. etc.

Except for maybe at two of the best clubs I the world i.e. Barca and Bayern.... Oh and Juve as well... Box to box midfielders aren't needed any more?

Boy could we do with old Steven Gerrard, or old Vieira, or Vidal, or Rakitic, or Pogba.. etc.

Nice deflection of the point there. Is Iniesta a box-to-box midfielder? He averages as many tackles as Pogba.

Once again, Rakitic is a special case because Barca's front 3 do no running and they need someone to do the donkey work for them. Also, Vidal barely plays at Bayern. Even when he is fit Pep prefers Thiago and Xabi.

Nice deflection of the point there. Is Iniesta a box-to-box midfielder? He averages as many tackles as Pogba.

Once again, Rakitic is a special case because Barca's front 3 do no running and they need someone to do the donkey work for them. Also, Vidal barely plays at Bayern. Even when he is fit Pep prefers Thiago and Xabi.

Barca front 3 do no running? You are out of your mind. Are you sure you've watched Barcelona at all? Earlier this season they posted stats showing Suarez has won more possession than any other forward player in the league?

How is it a deflection? You're the one who claimed:

1. Pogba was a no 10.

2. Pogba was an attacking midfielder.

3. Pogba had no defensive duties whatsoever.

All three are incorrect. Pogba and Henderson play a similar role for their respective team, the Frenchman is just so much better at pretty much every single thing.

Vidal has started 18 out of 23 league games this season and of the rest, has failed to come on only once, so yeah "barely plays".

Barca front 3 do no running? You are out of your mind. Are you sure you've watched Barcelona at all? Earlier this season they posted stats showing Suarez has won more possession than any other forward player in the league?

How is it a deflection? You're the one who claimed:

1. Pogba was a no 10.

2. Pogba was an attacking midfielder.

3. Pogba had no defensive duties whatsoever.

All three are incorrect. Pogba and Henderson play a similar role for their respective team, the Frenchman is just so much better at pretty much every single thing.

Vidal has started 18 out of 23 league games this season and of the rest, has failed to come on only once, so yeah "barely plays".

I don't know what else to tell you. If you think Henderson and Pogba have "similar roles" or play the same way you're crazy. i'll let you off though because you said yourself you don't watch Juve much. So just to clarify it for you, Pogba has very little defensive responsibility in this Juve team. This is an intelligent move on the part of Allegri because he is such a force going forwards and they want him to keep his energy for attacking. 

Point taken on Vidal. I haven't paid attention to how many matches he had played there but he ain't preffered to Thiago and Xabi and he isn't as useful as these two either.

Sorry, but I have to question whether you and Flashheart watch Barca at all. Neymar and Messi do absolutely no defensive work. They hang out by the half way line waiting for the counter, therefore they need someone like Rakitic to cover for them. 

They are a high pressing side. Of course the players cover a lot of ground. What i'm saying is that when the opposition have the ball and Barca are in their defensive shape, Neymar and Messi do not track back, they stay up the pitch. It is then Rakitic's responsibility to cover for them defensively. and track the opposition's wingers.

Total distance covered in the CL competition last season by Barca players

b22662112a1b82a81e62e17cf5ce381f.jpg

If I'm interpreting this properly ( low probability) the first column is games played and the last is distance covered, Ter Stegen averaging over 5km a game is pretty impressive. Must take fucking long run ups for his goal kicks.

• Upvote 2

Hendersons 3 match ban at the the end of the Season of the Suarez played a big part in us missing out. He was immense that season. Where did it all go wrong Jordan?

Was thinking the same recently.

With Gerrard in that quarterback position behind him and Suarez/a fit Sturridge/Coutinho/Sterling ahead, his high-energy, pressing game was enough. He was Gerrard's legs in some ways, and we didn't need inspiration or leadership from him. He was a worker, and an honest one at that, but we didn't need him to change games.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)