You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Genuine question, did you think Henderson was crap before the injury?

Yes.  I think he, like most of our team, got away with murder because of Suarez. 

When we signed him, I thought he would be great.  He was a rabbit in the headlights for the first few seasons, but that was to be expected.  He certainly regressed as a player from the one we bought.  Then the big season, and everyone thought he was a good player.  But he isn't all that.  He's a jobbing midfielder and certainly no better than what Leicester have, never mind Arsenal or the other top teams.  The lack of bottle and the reluctance to take responsibility are the things that grind my gears.  He's great asking for the ball when he knows he isn't going to get it, but he's trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes like Paul Ince did.  He'll get away with it with some, but it just fucking irritates me. 

• Upvote 2

Yes. I think he, like most of our team, got away with murder because of Suarez.

When we signed him, I thought he would be great. He was a rabbit in the headlights for the first few seasons, but that was to be expected. He certainly regressed as a player from the one we bought. Then the big season, and everyone thought he was a good player. But he isn't all that. He's a jobbing midfielder and certainly no better than what Leicester have, never mind Arsenal or the other top teams. The lack of bottle and the reluctance to take responsibility are the things that grind my gears. He's great asking for the ball when he knows he isn't going to get it, but he's trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes like Paul Ince did. He'll get away with it with some, but it just fucking irritates me.

About right mate,midfield is a place where you just can't hide,let alone as captain.If you watch Alonso playing for Bayern he does'nt do anything fantastic,he just uses passes to keep the side going forwards,for that you have to have a good footballing brain.None of our lads in midfield have that unfortunately.

People can debate styles of football and how the game has changed etc... But there's a fundamental truth in that the more quality you have in your team the better off you'll usually be. Unless your manager is complete shite or has possibly lost the dressing room.

Is right.

People can debate styles of football and how the game has changed etc... But there's a fundamental truth in that the more quality you have in your team the better off you'll usually be. Unless your manager is complete shite or has possibly lost the dressing room.

100%. I just don't happen to think Henderson is shit. He's playing poorly by his standards of the Brendan era, but I think once he's over the injury he'll be just fine and well suited to the way we will look to play.

I don't think he does hide, I think he does look to take responsibility, from what I see. He could have snuck off to Fulham with his tail between his legs, but he stayed. He apparently did all the media work in the run-in two years ago while he was suspended so that rest of the team could concentrate on the games. That speaks of someone with character who takes responsibility in my eyes.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I think we should cut him some slack.

The team lacks fire not one single player do we have seems to embody the will to win. Henderson doesn't like to lose you can see it but he's like a kid in that sense it doesn't make him step up and toil for a win. A captain needs to take responsibility on the pitch and give the war cry and if you can't do it with talent you've got to do it with attitude.

The team lacks fire not one single player do we have seems to embody the will to win. Henderson doesn't like to lose you can see it but he's like a kid in that sense it doesn't make him step up and toil for a win. A captain needs to take responsibility on the pitch and give the war cry and if you can't do it with talent you've got to do it with attitude.

Who is there in the current squad and is guaranteed a spot in the starting 11 though? Milner? Nope. Sakho? Nope.  Mignolet? Nope. Clyne? Nope.

Henderson is the best option right now. He might not be when Klopp brings in his own men. Time will tell.

100%.

He apparently did all the media work in the run-in two years ago while he was suspended so that rest of the team could concentrate on the games. That speaks of someone with character who takes responsibility in my eyes.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I think we should cut him some slack.

Not sure character is doing a bit of media work.

He probably should get some slack but for the wrong reasons.

I'm not sure it would be called character if Balotelli wants to stay and fight for his place and not be pushed out the door.

Responsibility is doing media work, not for me Clive.

No it wouldn't, but this whole discussion is laden with double standards. I'm crediting him for wanting to stay, Enrique is labeled a waster. Sturbridge is slagged for not wanting to play injured, Henderson is being criticised because his form isn't great when he does. It's almost like we're a fickle bunch.

The way I heard it, when suspended for 3 of the 4 last games of the run-in, he volunteered to do the media work to allow the rest of the squad to concentrate on the more important task of winning matches. If volunteering for something without it even being floated doesn't constitute taking responsibility then I'm not sure what does.

Not sure Klopp values the captaincy much judging by the way he has named 8 captains this season.

He should have went with my suggestion and retired the armband until he saw fit.

Only because there is no stand out candidate. Lest see who he brings  in during the summer

A good Captain is an asset and Klopp will know that. We have been lucky in that respect with Sami and Stevie with Carra there to step in , Not surprising we don't have already replacement but it will happen . Henderson certainly isn't good enough in that role

The way I heard it, when suspended for 3 of the 4 last games of the run-in, he volunteered to do the media work to allow the rest of the squad to concentrate on the more important task of winning matches. If volunteering for something without it even being floated doesn't constitute taking responsibility then I'm not sure what does.

You brought the media stuff up in relation to someone saying he hides on the pitch.

If you said to me Henderson is a decent lad who wants to play for Liverpool and is probably a good model to some of the younger players then I would agree.

But when we start using examples of volunteering for media duties as examples it's a slippery slope. Before you know it Lallana will be made captain as I hear he is first in the queue to suck on a microphone.

No it wouldn't, but this whole discussion is laden with double standards. I'm crediting him for wanting to stay, Enrique is labeled a waster. Sturbridge is slagged for not wanting to play injured, Henderson is being criticised because his form isn't great when he does. It's almost like we're a fickle bunch.

Er, it didnt work if it was to allow us to win matches. As pathetic a defence of a pathetic player Ive seen for a while.

I hear you Ben

Ha. I like the lad mate, though limited as a player he's a very good pro as per this era, and we need as many of them who give a fuck about making the most of themselves as possible, but supplemented with the right sort of quality.

I just can't bring myself to tempt fate by saying I think we'll sign the sort of player who should be captain, but hopefully that will happen as it'll be to everyone's benefit.

Not least Hendo's.

• Upvote 4

Henderson is a good player out of form at the moment. He'll feature a lot under Klopp going forward and imagine he'll stay captain. The armband means fuck all these days anyway. Look up and down the league and there's not many you'd consider a 'leader' or anything along those lines.

Not buying the 'Suarez carried the team' nonsense either. He was our most important player but everyone played their part. His was bigger than most but nearly everyone played out of their skin that season.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)