You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

In the space of 5 minutes after coming on, Fabinho had tracked a city player back and won the ball off him. Made himself an angle for his teammate to pass too. Played a forward pass under pressure and followed it up the pitch to support the attack while dragging the city players back and taking the pressure off our defence and won a clattering header against a city player on the edge of their box. 

Jordan Henderson hasn’t done any of that in the time he’s been here. 

• Upvote 4

I don't know whether anyone's noticed this, but in the last few games he's tried to boss around Van Dijk a few times and got into arguments with him on the pitch. I don't mind him giving out orders - Van Dijk does the same, but he does it in a calm way, he exudes that calm and commanding presence from every pore, whereas Henderson, seemingly rubs the players up the wrong way. I don't know whether that's him trying to play Billy big bollocks and exert some control back - seeing as every man and their dog knows Van the Man is captain - or whether he's just a buffoon that gets off on psychologically flustering his own teammates, but either way it's not helpful for the team.

8 hours ago, Red74 said:

In the space of 5 minutes after coming on, Fabinho had tracked a city player back and won the ball off him. Made himself an angle for his teammate to pass too. Played a forward pass under pressure and followed it up the pitch to support the attack while dragging the city players back and taking the pressure off our defence and won a clattering header against a city player on the edge of their box. 

Jordan Henderson hasn’t done any of that in the time he’s been here. 

That is what we expect from a defensive midfielder.  

Some people hold the bar so low for Henderson that the fact that he is still breathing through his mouth at the end of the game is seen as an indicator of how great he is.

Keita must be carrying some significant and persistent injury if he can't get into our midfield.  I'm hoping Klopp takes something from this game; we may have to buy in Jan.

• Upvote 2

Had a very good game last night and the manager takes some blame for selecting an obviously unfit Milner ahead of Fabinho. Did what was asked of him in what was always going to be our toughest fixture. Deserves no blame as don't most of the squad as we just cannot match City's oil wealth depth of squad.

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Lovren was terrible of course, he has these games occasionally where it's essentially a 90 minute brainfart with the occasional decent clearance or tackle.  Why was he so exposed in this game?  

I could be diplomatic and say because our 2nd and 3rd choice CBs were injured.

Not too mention that Aguero had 10 seconds to sit on his arse in an offside position in our 6-yard box, while City played the ball about for his goal.

• Upvote 1

We spent north of £100 million on Keita and Fabinho who are both superior players to Henderson in my humble opinion, clearly Klopp sees something in Henderson I don’t which is why he is the gaffer. 

I just wish he would give the armband to VVD as he is the real leader in this squad

It’s loyalty and it’s whats got us into the position we are in.  It’s also what’s going to hold us back.  Klopp is not a stupid man, he will watch that game back and seen what we all seen.  He doesn’t need to make a big drama of it.  Just drop him and play the other players.  He hasn’t got a leg to stand on.

He's an easy target. He was no worse than Wijnaldum or Milner last night. In fact I would say he did more good stuff than both, interspersed with some average play. People saying Gerrard would have done this, that and the other need to get real. You are comparing him to one of our greatest players of all time. Henderson is not or never will be near Gerrard's level. He's a good player and a good professional. Nothing better, nothing worse.

The fact that he is captain seems to make people judge him differently, but I would counter that by saying he is now no longer a guaranteed starter in our midfield, so in general the captaincy is irrelevant. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Baltar said:

He's not good enough against the best teams, not by a long shot. He can play well against crap sides but time and again he's found wanting against better opposition. He should be nothing more than a squad player.

The first sentence I agree with 100%. Also the second sentence. The third sentence? He needs to be outed as so long as he's in the squad in any capacity he will expect game time. He should be sold to one of the mid-table clubs or perhaps do a deal with Leeds - we keep Milner and you can have this other player who is WAY better suited to your requirements.

10 minutes ago, Wicket said:

The worst players on the pitch were Lovren, Mane & Milner, by a country mile. Henderson doesn't come into the equation why we lost last night, if anything it's on Klopp for not picking Fabinho over a barely fit Milner.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c2f3ea35a6761616b

41 minutes ago, Bernard Diomede said:

He's an easy target. He was no worse than Wijnaldum or Milner last night. In fact I would say he did more good stuff than both, interspersed with some average play. People saying Gerrard would have done this, that and the other need to get real. You are comparing him to one of our greatest players of all time. Henderson is not or never will be near Gerrard's level. He's a good player and a good professional. Nothing better, nothing worse.

The fact that he is captain seems to make people judge him differently, but I would counter that by saying he is now no longer a guaranteed starter in our midfield, so in general the captaincy is irrelevant. 

I remember Souness being a bit part player in our title winning teams as captain. Gerrard as well was lucky to get in the team every now and again when he was captain. Alan Hansen was an alright defender when he occasionally got into the team as captain. As for Ron Yeats under Shankly, when he was selected every now and again he did a great job.

If he's no longer a guaranteed starter, why is he captain? If he's bang average, why is he captain? If he's nowhere near the level of previous captains, why is he captain?

I normally refer to the Captain with a capital C. Henderson is the captain. Means fuck all when the justification for an average performance is he was now worse than the others. He should be SETTING THE STANDARD, not PLAYING TO IT.

negged-gif-3.gif

Sourness would have given Fernandinho and Kompany the message early doors last night did Henderson even get booked ? Not that going in hard is a pre requisite for a captain but it sets a tone he does not have it in his nature or demeanour to be a follow him through a brick wall type of leader. VVD has the stature class and experience to be the captain need to make the change now. As a player Henderson can do a job until Keïta and Fabinho are firing on all cylinders

35 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c2f3ea35a6761616b

Hahaha, I just don't think he deserves a lot of the stick he gets or is getting for last night. 

I'm never going to say he's brilliant and if he plays shite then I'll say it but generally I think he's good for what we do as a team as opposed to being there for individual moments of brilliance, I think people have merits on saying that he rarely(ever) does anything to drag us out of sticky situations but he rarely puts us in them either.

He puts us in them all the time unless he’s got acres of space.  He never takes a touch or turns when anybody is anywhere near him it’s just first time pass back to where it came every time.  It puts pressure on the defence and means somebody has to go long.  He did it all first half.  He spent the second half hiding.  Literally hiding behind and inbetween City players.

His confidence is clearly shot and it’s probably down to the shit he gets off the fans and he is obviously aware of most fans opinion of him.  Unfortunately though that’s not our problem, it’s his.  We’ve got more suitable captains throughout the team and more suitable players for any position he can play.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Wicket said:

Hahaha, I just don't think he deserves a lot of the stick he gets or is getting for last night. 

I'm never going to say he's brilliant and if he plays shite then I'll say it but generally I think he's good for what we do as a team as opposed to being there for individual moments of brilliance, I think people have merits on saying that he rarely(ever) does anything to drag us out of sticky situations but he rarely puts us in them either.

I agree up to a point. If you take the top ten teams out of the equation and we only had to play the bottom ten teams at any point in the season, Henderson would be absolutely fine in this team. He played very well against Newcastle, who are really struggling to stop conceding goals while finding them hard to come by for themselves. Henderson will cope fine with these teams, so long as he has really good players alongside him in the middle.

If he's in the team against one of the top teams, he will always struggle to impose himself in these matches. He takes too long to do anything other than a sideways pass or a backwards pass, he normally points to where the ball should be going (surely a decent player in this team is going to know where the ball should be going?) and often in the first two thirds of the pitch refuses to do what he would point out to others.

I am beginning to wonder if Klopp is testing Henderson out in these matches. Bear in mind that up to the point of signing Alisson, Klopp was absolutely behind his boy Karius. All players make mistakes, he will learn etc. Boom. Alisson is signed, bye bye Karius. It's in Henderson's interest to MAN UP and start showing he can do against Man City what he can do against Newcastle, otherwise there could be another Boom.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)