You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

45 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah like I do with Van Dijk, Gomez, Robbo, Salah, Gini, etc. I just don’t subscribe to this herd mentality, especially when it comes to something as silly as accusing the player with the most second most touches (despite playing only 80 mins), that he ‘hides’ from the ball. 

And what about Heaton, Winks, Maguire, Sturbridge, etc 

You are a born contrarian.

20 minutes ago, Elite said:

And what about Heaton, Winks, Maguire, Sturbridge, etc 

You are a born contrarian.

Every man and his dog rates Maguire at the moment. If Mourinho had his way in the summer, he would’ve been a United player. I don’t even rate Hendo very highly. He’s a good squad player for us, and before the sending off he didn’t play noticeably worse that he normally does. He constantly gives you a 6 out of 10. Sometimes he gives you a 5 sometimes a 7, but mostly he just sits there and “does a job”.

I’ve always maintained that the sending off was stupid... very happy for people to attack him on that.. but there’s no need to make up something that isn’t true e.g., that he hid.. when the stats to easily refute that claim is publicly available.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284968/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Watford-Liverpool

• Like 1

I would like him a whole lot more if he took a few more responsible risks.

Against Watford I screamed at the telly for him to grow a spine.  He really wound me up.

If he set himself the target of ensuring that 30% more of his touches were positive, I'd have more time for him.  On Saturday he could only play if he was in 20 yards of space, then and only then would he look forward.

I haven't given up on him, but he just looked like the team had surpassed him.

He was the problem, holding us back.

Must be more positive if he is to get a look in.  Hope he does as I actually like the lad.

• Upvote 1

50 games 1 goal 1 assist.

All he does is slow the play down, the amount of times on Saturday Mane, Firmino ran the channels and rather than play a relatively low risk ball to them he passes it back 20 yards to VVD or Lovren, done my head in.

His time is coming to an end and it’s only because Fabinho and Keita have failed to settle he’s in the team, he’s give you 6/10 at best....

that isn’t good enough.

if he was sold you wouldn’t get any of the top 6 looking at him imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

One slight difference, among others, is that Milner delivers assists on a regular basis.

Yet Klopp has said that the role he asks Henderson to play is not a creative one. The difference with Milner is that he is given attacking responsibilities while Henderson is not really. Milner is also not that great centrally for me and does his best stuff as a sort of outside right or left coming infield or supporting the FB and wider attackers.

Henderson wasn't great v Watford and should not be allowed to play for shitty England before he even has full fitness at club level. He will finish himself off before somebody does it for him as you can see his legs are not what they once were.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I couldn't care less if Henderson has the most touches of the ball because he does fuck all with it. Ever.

He's a tempo setter and a momentum killer, give it to Hendo is like putting your video on frame forward. He contributes nothing.

You should if you were trying to argue that hides from the ball, as some people currently are, which is nonsense.

It’s what he does with it though which is fuck all, never looks for a positive pass and when he does 9/10 he hits it long or out of play, if he has the ball the most surely he should be doing something with it.

Playing the role he plays, the front three must be a dream to pick out because they are all pulling defenders apart and constantly on the move but he doesn’t use it to his advantage, imagine someone like Alonso in this team with his passing range....

I think Trent would be more affective in the role Henderson plays, in the next 18 months that’s a change that will happen imo and I’d be all over trying to get Wan-Bissaka from Palace as RB, he’s quality.

Its almost as if a load of random strangers know more about the current set of players and how to win than their manager! Second in the league,still unbeaten going into Decemer,record points total and record low goals conceded for this stage of the season and yet one or two players are still shit. And I thought I was a miserable bastard!

As for the argument about 'Henderson wouldn't attract any of the top six if up for transfer' argument,I'd hazard to say that this could apply to a fair number of players within those top six clubs. For instance I'd say that I don't rate at least half of Spurs first team but together as a squad they work bloody well carrying out their roles and responsibilities. It's all about the blend and we are doing very well with it versus a club funded by an entire country's oil reserves.

• Upvote 1

You’re absolutely batshit if you think Trent is going to get played in defensive midfield anytime in the next 3-4 years especially with us spending 40m on a defensive midfielder.  He isn’t good enough to play there regardless.  We are getting away with him playing right back at the moment.

This stat of his goals and assists is fucking laughable as well.  He’s a defensive midfielder.  It would probably be more apt to list the goals conceded although that would equally tell you as much bollock.  For all we know Klopp tells him to keep it simple and keep the ball in there.  He frustrated me on Saturday because he was unprofessional.  It’s the one thing he should bring because he’s the captain and he’s probably technically the worst player in the team now.  In the position he plays you don’t need to be technical though.

The one incident that got highlighted on MOTD where he didn’t play the ball to Mane was typical of him but I don’t think that specific occasion was fair to point out. We were leading at the time and they were sitting back.  Taking risky passes at that point is the wrong option especially if you aren’t confident which he clearly wasn’t on the weekend.

Separately Mane and Firmino weren’t continually running the channels and no player in our side would be stupid enough to just twat long balls up to them when we are winning the game and controlling the ball as we were.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

You’re absolutely batshit if you think Trent is going to get played in defensive midfield anytime in the next 3-4 years especially with us spending 40m on a defensive midfielder.  He isn’t good enough to play there regardless.  We are getting away with him playing right back at the moment.

This stat of his goals and assists is fucking laughable as well.  He’s a defensive midfielder.  It would probably be more apt to list the goals conceded although that would equally tell you as much bollock.  For all we know Klopp tells him to keep it simple and keep the ball in there.  He frustrated me on Saturday because he was unprofessional.  It’s the one thing he should bring because he’s the captain and he’s probably technically the worst player in the team now.  In the position he plays you don’t need to be technical though.

The one incident that got highlighted on MOTD where he didn’t play the ball to Mane was typical of him but I don’t think that specific occasion was fair to point out. We were leading at the time and they were sitting back.  Taking risky passes at that point is the wrong option especially if you aren’t confident which he clearly wasn’t on the weekend.

Separately Mane and Firmino weren’t continually running the channels and no player in our side would be stupid enough to just twat long balls up to them when we are winning the game and controlling the ball as we were.

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Yeah it’s bat shit crazy to suggest really, it’s not like he can tackle or hit raking 60 yard passes is it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0y1xH0xI8

It’s completely batshit for a number of reasons.  He’s a mess defensively.  His positional sense as a full back is non-existent.  God knows the problems he would cause us playing in a defensive midfield role.  He plays right back for us because of his attacking ability/potential.  Even that this season has been a million miles from good enough.

Even if you completely disagree with all of that.  Klopp has just spent 40m on a seasoned professional and is taking months to trust playing him in his actual position.  He’s also got his captain who plays there and Gini who was better than anyone else that has played there in years.  Trent is never playing that role under Klopp and definitely not in the next 3-4 years.  You could make an argument that he might play one of the other midfield roles but even then I don’t think Klopp would trust him there either.

1 hour ago, Trojan1892 said:

Yeah it’s bat shit crazy to suggest really, it’s not like he can tackle or hit raking 60 yard passes is it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0y1xH0xI8

I don't want my holding midfielder to have to tackle a bunch and hit hollywood balls, personally. If TAA shows great positional sense and ability to receive a ball under pressure, maybe he'll be considered for the position, but right now there's no indication he's anything else but a full back at the highest level. 

You know that bit in the game when our centre halves have got the ball and he runs to them at 100 mph to take the ball and either blocks their path or just ends up running to the next player whose received it after being ignored or that bit when our players out on the wing with the ball and theres a massive gap for him to run forward into and make an angle for them to pass but instead, he's standing behind the opposition players, well that really freaks my nut.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)