You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

He clearly does hide.

And the reason he has the most touches is because he plays tip tap shit to the back four constantly.

Yeah if you take the example of the ball he did not put into Mane yesterday that was highlighted on MOTD - he ended up with 3 maybe 4 touches after not playing it as the ball was moved sideways and back and we went nowhere.

Had he played Mane in Mane could have turned and shot and scored  (he really could have done anything had the ball come) - Henderson gets an assist, but his touches drop dramatically....it is obvious which one is better for team.

If his lots of tocuhes were him dictating play and tempo then great, but often they aren't they are actually touches that slow down our play, kill momentum and enable teams to sit with men behind the ball rather than be forced to deal with danger.

A team of course does need to be safe at times and just move/retain ball and can't of course be threatening all the time but for me Henderson goes too far into the safe zone and does not do enough to make things happen...if he could address that balance he'd cop for a lot less flack.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Yeah if you take the example of the ball he did not put into Mane yesterday that was highlighted on MOTD - he ended up with 3 maybe 4 touches after not playing it as the ball was moved sideways and back and we went nowhere.

Had he played Mane in Mane could have turned and shot and scored  (he really could have done anything had the ball come) - Henderson gets an assist, but his touches drop dramatically....it is obvious which one is better for team.

If his lots of tocuhes were him dictating play and tempo then great, but often they aren't they are actually touches that slow down our play, kill momentum and enable teams to sit with men behind the ball rather than deal with danger.

A team of course does need to be safe at times and just move/retain ball and can't of course be threatening all the time but for me Henderson goes too far into the safe zone and does not do enough to make things happen...if he could address that balance he'd cop for a lot less flack.

Some good points.  The unknown in all this of course is what Klopp is telling him to do.

Quite obviously you cannot afford to have your holding midfielder giving the ball away right in front of the CB's . For me he hasn't got the balance right and has never been, despite his technical and passing ability, a creative midfielder so expecting him to change into Xabi Alonso overnight is not going to happen.  Hopefully Keita and Fabinho will prove their worth and we will see less of Hendo

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He doesn’t though... that’s just factually incorrect. He regularly gets the most touches in a game. He’s not very ambitious with his passing I’d agree with that, but he doesn’t hide.

Getting lots of touches of the ball is zero evidence against the accusation that he hides. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, markcd said:

I agree that he gets a lot of shit - but the fact the the captain is suspended against Everton and no-one really seems arsed probably says a lot really.

More than not arsed. Lots of people are happy, understandably so, that our worst central midfielder won't be playing.

12 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Some good points.  The unknown in all this of course is what Klopp is telling him to do.

Quite obviously you cannot afford to have your holding midfielder giving the ball away right in front of the CB's . For me he hasn't got the balance right and has never been, despite his technical and passing ability, a creative midfielder so expecting him to change into Xabi Alonso overnight is not going to happen.  Hopefully Keita and Fabinho will prove their worth and we will see less of Hendo

Yeah.

I think that is what frustrates me about him....he clearly does have the technical ability and often looks quite impressive how he opens up body to receive ball and is able to shift it on quickly and receive it back and repeat quickly....but it for me all too often is done as i have saud far too safely especially when we need more.

Maybe he is playing to orders but then i find it hard to believe for example the Mane thing (apologies for bringing it up again but it is a fresh one) is something Klopp would approve of.

The problem there is that he just hasn't got that in his make up enough and is the wrong man in the right place there - imagine what Coutinho would have done or Xabi.....but as we agree he isn't that sort is he - we would be fucking immense if we had that sort back in the middle of the park and i'd really fancy us to actually overhaul City if we did have.

Maybe Keita is possibly that player

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

More than not arsed. Lots of people are happy, understandably so, that our worst central midfielder won't be playing.

I'm not happy.  Henderson's experience will be missed in what could well be a frenetic game . Blueshite will be desperate to end our run.  

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I'm not happy.  Henderson's experience will be missed in what could well be a frenetic game . Blueshite will be desperate to end our run.  

Experience of what?  Not getting a tackle in and shitting himself in possession?  It's the sort of experience we can well do without.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, stringvest said:

Experience of what?  Not getting a tackle in and shitting himself in possession?  It's the sort of experience we can well do without.  

I'm not a fan but that's a wee bit jaundiced.  I would rather see Hendo in next Sunday than Keita or Fabinho playing their first derby game. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

He's all an act. He wants to appear to be this all action, no nonsense captain that's always mouthing off and rallying the troops. Then he hides behind opposition players and passes the ball straight back from which it came.

He's Mr. Average.

Precisely it.  I've never known a player less keen to take the ball on within 10 yards of an opposition player.  He hides.   He'll move behind an opposition player, so that the pass can't get to him, or he'll move to a position too close to an opposition player.  He does it all the time.  Then he tries to balance this out by gesticulating wildly for the ball when in acres of space between the CBs.  

He's a kidder.  And people fall for it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I'm not a fan but that's a wee bit jaundiced.  I would rather see Hendo in next Sunday than Keita or Fabinho playing their first derby game. 

I'd rather see either play ahead of Henderson.

Everton are absolutely fucking shit and we're going to batter them.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'd have Milner before any of them for it

I reckon Milner would have played against Everton anyway. It's just a case of who plays instead of Henderson and Wijnaldum is the obvious player to go in as well as Fabinho. It's even possible that Henderson wouldn't have started against Everton anyway. Henderson out = meh.

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Precisely it.  I've never known a player less keen to take the ball on within 10 yards of an opposition player.  He hides.   He'll move behind an opposition player, so that the pass can't get to him, or he'll move to a position too close to an opposition player.  He does it all the time.  Then he tries to balance this out by gesticulating wildly for the ball when in acres of space between the CBs.  

Fuck me I cant believe I'm defending Henderson . I would say if you really see the kind of  issues you refer to above then is Klopp too blind to have missed it . No way would he put up with a player hiding in the way you suggest.  Henderson is no longer good enough is my position not that he lacks courage or loyalty 

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Fuck me I cant believe I'm defending Henderson . I would say if you really see the kind of  issues you refer to above then is Klopp too blind to have missed it . No way would he put up with a player hiding in the way you suggest.  Henderson is no longer good enough is my position not that he lacks courage or loyalty 

I don't have any issues with his loyalty.  I do think he hides though.  He's like a youngster when they first get into a team.

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I don't have any issues with his loyalty.  I do think he hides though.  He's like a youngster when they first get into a team.

He has always been a "safe option" player . I think what were finding is that as we have got better as a team we need more from our holding midfielders.  He could well go in the summer.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

The greatest trick Henderson ever pulled was convincing his team mates a pass wasn't on 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

He doesn’t though... that’s just factually incorrect. He regularly gets the most touches in a game. He’s not very ambitious with his passing I’d agree with that, but he doesn’t hide.

You should stop drinking from the night pottie. He hides constantly and only recieves a pass when he is 100% sure he can pass it back or sideways. Go watch a rerun of yesterdays game and see how often he hides behind a Watford midfielder. He looks busy though, he really isn't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, moof said:

Didn’t see any of you hysterical fannies piping up after he dominated PSG at Anfield. The way some of you go on you’d be forgiven for believing he was one of the shittest players to have laced boots in this league. 

He plays well in about 1/20 the rest is average to below average. Every other team knows it and actually gives him plenty of room to receive the ball. They know he is absolutely no threat, he still hides though. He is shit scared of the ball and the reponsibility that comes with forward passes. A huge problem for him is that he have to take 3 touches to get the ball under control and that effects him.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)