You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

It looks like he plays with everything to lose.  He’s terrified to turn around with the ball unless he’s absolutely certain there’s nobody with 10 yards of him and that means even when there isn’t anyone within 10 yards of him he will still just first time it backwards just in case.  I don’t think he’s cut out for that position in front of the defence because he’s not relaxed enough on the ball.  He should be competing for the others midfield positions.  I think he would feel less pressure there but it would only be a matter of time before his deficiencies there would surface.  I think he must be getting the feeling his time is up.

Agree with most of this, but not the part where you want to stick him further forwards. 

I seem to be about the only one who thought it  was only  a misunderstanding between Klopp and Henderson. To my mind Hendo was just  clapping the fans as he left the pitch, and at that same moment Klopp extended his hand.

Whatever Henderson's percieved faults and limitations are as a player, he's never struck me as an ignorant or spiteful person. He seemed  more than happy to shake Klopp's hand only moments later when he realised it had all be misconstrued as  a snub.

I thought he had a decent game too, no worse than Gini.

The problem is any 3 pairing of Hendo Gini, Fabinho and Milner offer the square route of fuck all when looking to force the play. Very few goals or much in any of them. Milner has looked on his last legs the past few months. Gini is a better player than Henderson for me. 

Should only be 2 of them and keita/Shaqiri for remainder of the year. We need a spark in the middle and someone needs to fucking step up 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I seem to be about the only one who thought it  was only  a misunderstanding between Klopp and Henderson. To my mind Hendo was just  clapping the fans as he left the pitch, and at that same moment Klopp extended his hand.

Whatever Henderson's percieved faults and limitations are as a player, he's never struck me as an ignorant or spiteful person. He seemed  more than happy to shake Klopp's hand only moments later when he realised it had all be misconstrued as  a snub.

I thought he had a decent game too, no worse than Gini.

Na he definitely knew what he was doing and Klopp clearly thought that too.  He was clapping the fans to avoid acknowledging Klopp.  Regardless of what the fans think of him he definitely sees himself as an authoritative figure amongst the players.  That pretty much has to happen if you’re going to be a captain but it’s an awkward one because his ability no longer matches up to what is required for the first team.  It’s the reason for his reaction today.  Klopp has already played him ahead of other players in games he shouldn’t have this season.  We can only guess why but I would say it’s a mix of respect because he’s the captain and also not wanting to cause an absolute shitstorm for leaving him out.  Hendo probably thinks if he throws his weight around it puts the manager in that situation again.

He didn’t make any glaring mistakes today but he did go into his negative shithouse passing shell quite a bit.  The rest of his game was relatively solid.  At the end of the day though we don’t need two holding midfielders in a lot of games and in the second half today we definitely didn’t.  Fabinho is a better footballer than him and when playing well should be in ahead of him and that looks like it’s going to be the case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

45 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The problem is any 3 pairing of Hendo Gini, Fabinho and Milner offer the square route of fuck all when looking to force the play. Very few goals or much in any of them.

There's a reason it's like that. We try to win the physical battle with three strong, athletic players and the front three have less defending to do. It works most times, but there will always be a lack of creativity and too much reliance on the front three at some point. 

The reason why we tried to buy a #10 who can be a goal threat is so we can have a different system that's way more attacking. Klopp has tried it with Shaqiri, but you can tell he doesn't think it's worth the loss in solidity.

Keita's been kind of the odd man out because he's been too tentative to play in any kind of system. 

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's a reason it's like that. We try to win the physical battle with three strong, athletic players and the front three have less defending to do. It works most times, but there will always be a lack of creativity and too much reliance on the front three at some point. 

The reason why we tried to buy a #10 who can be a goal threat is so we can have a different system that's way more attacking. Klopp has tried it with Shaqiri, but you can tell he doesn't think it's worth the loss in solidity.

Keita's been kind of the odd man out because he's been too tentative to play in any kind of system. 

That's the problem though. It's OK if you can win the battle so long as a couple of them can also play on the front foot. Even adding Chamberlain into that midfield makes a difference. He can do the donkey work but also push forward

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:29 PM, corro said:

Why not if you rate him so highly. 

Because I don't think he's our best option for that game.

Thought he was one of the better performers though, but that wouldn't be hard as most of the front six were poor.  Fabinho being the best.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:38 AM, Shooter in the Motor said:

This makes no sense at all. 

You can rate someone and not want that play to start every game, shocking I know!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought he played four or five excellent passes when he came on. And the one he set up for the goal was really good. And yet Clive Tiddley waffled over the footage as if to deny it had happened - even for the goal he seemed disinclined to acknowledge Hendo's pass. It was quite strange. I hope Hendo starts passing as progressively for us in the coming games.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not get into the 'Hey, Hendo did something so therefore waiting 100 games for him to look like a leader means I'm right to say he is a great Captain and everybody else who looked right for the other 99 games are wrong' contest. You'll lose. Make Virgil Captain. 

Excellent contribution yesterday. Do that week in and week out, he'll be my Captain to. He does it once or twice a season, though. Negged for taking the shine off a good performance with your point scoring bullshit.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

You can see how much it meant to him - good on ya Hendo.

I like the idea of him coming on as a sub and playing in one of the forward midfield positions. Whether or not that is a Captains role?? Probably not. 

TBH I thought Milner had more impact on us turning the screw. Also good on Klopp making those changes early and having the stones to put him on at RB instead.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)