You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

As I've said before on this thread, he has been made captain of every team he has played for, including his country, often at a very young age. So he must be much more of a captain than we see from the terraces.

All well and good but Captain has firmly refuted this above.

Sorry.

Changing the captaincy would only create unnecessary drama. It doesn't really mean much anyways and Klopp doesn't attribute much importance to it. Henderson has been here for a long time and his attitude is clearly very positive so it's fair enough.

It doesn't mean he'll play all the time either. If I remember correctly, Arteta was Arsenal captain the year before he retired and he was basically a part time player by that point.

• Upvote 1

As I've said before on this thread, he has been made captain of every team he has played for, including his country, often at a very young age. So he must be much more of a captain than we see from the terraces.

Probably right, it's pretty far from there to being the ideal captain as was claimed here though.

Not at all. It means Klopp hasn't changed it, and just that.

If Klopp walked into the club now with none of the players already being captain or vice captain, do you honestly think he would have picked Henderson?

Have you ever heard the way he talks about Hendo? He’s clearly pretty happy with the arrangement.

Have you ever heard the way he talks about Hendo? He’s clearly pretty happy with the arrangement.

I'd prefer to cite the fact that Klopp has continued with him for the last 3 seasons yet random people on the internet are telling you that the manager doesn't actually want to do it. Klopp has a really strange way of doing things he doesn't actually want to by doing it over and over again hundreds of times.

I'd prefer to cite the fact that Klopp has continued with him for the last 3 seasons

There’s definitely no way this and the tight-knit bond, morale and professional attitude visible among the squad during that time are in any way linked.

It’s been a disaster behind the scenes but Klopp has simply lacked the bottle and aptitude to make a change.

There’s definitely no way this and the tight-knit bond, morale and professional attitude visible among the squad during that time are in any way linked.

It’s been a disaster behind the scenes but Klopp has simply lacked the bottle and aptitude to make a change.

I agree. I mean Klopp has totally avoided making any major decisions in his time at the club and this is just another of those failures.....is what they'll probably be saying on the Grand Old Team forum.

I'd prefer to cite the fact that Klopp has continued with him for the last 3 seasons yet random people on the internet are telling you that the manager doesn't actually want to do it. Klopp has a really strange way of doing things he doesn't actually want to by doing it over and over again hundreds of times.

He kept going with two shit keepers for at least a season too long and said they were good repeatedly so I don't think you can read too much into what he says about players.  I think its likely he will give the armband to VVD by the end of the season , after that its up to Hendo to see if he can up his game, I don't see any imminent departure though. 

He kept going with two shit keepers for at least a season too long and said they were good repeatedly so I don't think you can read too much into what he says about players. I think its likely he will give the armband to VVD by the end of the season , after that its up to Hendo to see if he can up his game, I don't see any imminent departure though.

Bold claim considering he’s just signed a new long term contract.

He kept going with two shit keepers for at least a season too long and said they were good repeatedly so I don't think you can read too much into what he says about players.  I think its likely he will give the armband to VVD by the end of the season , after that its up to Hendo to see if he can up his game, I don't see any imminent departure though. 

He won't. Klopp said numerous times that his captain is the longest serving player. Klopp don't put the English emphasis on the captaincy.

He won't. Klopp said numerous times that his captain is the longest serving player. Klopp don't put the English emphasis on the captaincy.

As has been discussed Klopp says lots of things publicly about players, nearly all praiseworthy, although privately I expect he has some doubts about many of them, If Hendo doesn't start regularly and VVD does then I expect he will get the captaincy in due course

As has been discussed Klopp says lots of things publicly about players, nearly all praiseworthy, although privately I expect he has some doubts about many of them, If Hendo doesn't start regularly and VVD does then I expect he will get the captaincy in due course

That's a whole other discussion and I'm inclined to agree on that one.

He kept going with two shit keepers for at least a season too long and said they were good repeatedly so I don't think you can read too much into what he says about players. I think its likely he will give the armband to VVD by the end of the season , after that its up to Hendo to see if he can up his game, I don't see any imminent departure though.

And as soon as he had a choice he signed a top class expensive keeper which coincided with a CL final and a CL qualification for the second time running. He seems fine with the catain and vice captain situation.

And as soon as he had a choice he signed a top class expensive keeper which coincided with a CL final and a CL qualification for the second time running. He seems fine with the catain and vice captain situation.

It's probably not top priority I would agree but I think it will change if Hendo doesnt secure a regular starting place which must be a real possibilty 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)