You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

If he doesn't back himself to score a penalty the he's got no business posing as captain, he should resign the armband to someone more worthy, like Lucas.

So Sami Hyypia being captain for the majority of games in 2001 but didn't take one against Birmingham means he should have resigned? 

My least favourite player.  Not because of the non-penalty - everyone knows he's a bottler, but because of the way he chases after things he knows he isn't going to win because he thinks he can fool people into thinking he's leading by example.  His alacrity in getting rid of the ball to people in tighter spots than him mark him out as lacking the bottle to take responsibility in general play.  The number of times the back four play it to him only for him to shit out and play it straight back, putting them under pressure, should be obvious to the manager and the rest of the coaching staff.  I don't want him at the club anymore - he epitomises more than anyone the state that this club is in.  

• Upvote 4

So Sami Hyypia being captain for the majority of games in 2001 but didn't take one against Birmingham means he should have resigned?

No, mate. Completely different situation. He was a centre half who didn't take penalties for a start, also he was playing in a team of men and winners.

• Upvote 3

If you're not good at them you don't take them regardless of whether you're captain. It doesn't work like that.

Who says he's not good at penalties? He is captain and central midfield player and should therefore possess the requisite stones and technique.

He 'fought' to take this one, for example:

My least favourite player.  Not because of the non-penalty - everyone knows he's a bottler, but because of the way he chases after things he knows he isn't going to win because he thinks he can fool people into thinking he's leading by example.  His alacrity in getting rid of the ball to people in tighter spots than him mark him out as lacking the bottle to take responsibility in general play.  The number of times the back four play it to him only for him to shit out and play it straight back, putting them under pressure, should be obvious to the manager and the rest of the coaching staff.  I don't want him at the club anymore - he epitomises more than anyone the state that this club is in.  

Repped for sheer persistence. 

No, mate. Completely different situation. He was a centre half who didn't take penalties for a start, also he was playing in a team of men and winners.

Henderson doesn't take penalties though. And that team at the time wasn't full of men and winners. It was our first trophy in six years with players who had never won anything.

Henderson doesn't take penalties though. And that team at the time wasn't full of men and winners. It was our first trophy in six years with players who had never won anything.

Whatever, I'm not arguing with you about it. If you think the situations are comparable then fine. That team in 2001 contained Gary Mac, Fowler, Carragher, Hamman, Babbel, Gerrard etc. etc.

Also I'm pretty sure Henderson has taken penalties for us in the past, but, again I'm not arguing about it. Everyone knows he hasn't got the balls anyway.

Mental gymnastics going back 15 years in defense of a weak-willed and non-winning player by a well meaning supporter is a good example of what is helping to keep us 3rd rate. He's not good enough. He's not hard enough. He doesn't want it enough. Get someone else.

• Upvote 3

Whatever, I'm not arguing with you about it. If you think the situations are comparable then fine. That team in 2001 contained Gary Mac, Fowler, Carragher, Hamman, Babbel, Gerrard etc. etc.

Also I'm pretty sure Henderson has taken penalties for us in the past, but, again I'm not arguing about it. Everyone knows he hasn't got the balls anyway.

He's taken one that I can remember. One. If he gets up and misses he gets called a bottler but he doesn't take one and he gets called one anyway. 

Mental gymnastics going back 15 years in defense of a weak-willed and non-winning player by a well meaning supporter is a good example of what is helping to keep us 3rd rate. He's not good enough. He's not hard enough. He doesn't want it enough. Get someone else.

It's not mental gymnastics at all, i don't think he's a good enough captain either but not stepping up in a penalty shootout doesn't prove that at all.

Downing took a penalty against Cardiff in 2012 but Suarez didn't. Does that make Suarez a bottler? No. Because one incident doesn't tell the whole story.

Fowler had a league cup medal from 95; Babbel had won Bundesliga titles and the UEFA Cup (Didi the same); Smicer won the league with Lens; Ziege had titles from all over Europe; Gary Mac had won the league with Leeds.

Sami, Gerrard, Carra: Had won nothing up to that point but leaders all three.

He's taken one that I can remember. One. If he gets up and misses he gets called a bottler but he doesn't take one and he gets called one anyway.

I don't see anyone levelling the bottler accusation at Lucas, Can, Coutinho or Lallana. And as chauncey posted on the other page, he was more than happy to fight Balotelli for a penalty last year. Henderson is a massive shirker, everything he does proves his lack of bottle. I'm ashamed to have him as captain.

• Upvote 2

Forget pens for a moment. We don't have anyone who can take a free kick or a corner.

We sometimes look like we're new to the game. It's like watching Americans playing football in films. All chase it and no one can kick it or put a tackle in. Sort of Boys from Company C meets Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

The penalty thing is a complete irrelevance imo, as is the leadership thing.

The real crux of Henderson's failings is that he's just doesn't have the right technical and mental attributes to play in tight areas like a top midfielder should. He only comes back to receive it off the back four if he's in oceans of space and anytime there's any pressure put on him, he shits it and shuttles it back to them. There's no balance in the midfield as him and Can are pretty much identical, except that Can is younger and has a much higher celing in terms of ability. I'd rather play Joe Allen in his place, because as lightweight and limited as 'Wee Joe' his, at least he's not afraid to take the ball on and play it in tight spaces.

People also say he's best as a box to box man or that he's great as pressing. Problem there is he's shite as shooting and couldn't finish his dinner, and his "pressing" consists of running up to players and not tackling them. He's had long enough to prove himself here at this point, it's time to be ruthless and get rid.

• Upvote 7

The penalty thing is a complete irrelevance imo, as is the leadership thing.

The real crux of Henderson's failings is that he's just doesn't have the right technical and mental attributes to play in tight areas like a top midfielder should. He only comes back to receive it off the back four if he's in oceans of space and anytime there's any pressure put on him, he shits it and shuttles it back to them. There's no balance in the midfield as him and Can are pretty much identical, except that Can is younger and has a much higher celing in terms of ability. I'd rather play Joe Allen in his place, because as lightweight and limited as 'Wee Joe' his, at least he's not afraid to take the ball on and play it in tight spaces.

People also say he's best as a box to box man or that he's great as pressing. Problem there is he's shite as shooting and couldn't finish his dinner, and his "pressing" consists of running up to players and not tackling them. He's had long enough to prove himself here at this point, it's time to be ruthless and get rid.

Haha, excellent.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)