You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

Nearly 300 appearances for the club is a lot of experience.

I am not arguing about what he does or doesn't do on the pitch, it's all been said 

He will be our captain the rest of the season, the club is doing well and he will probably be eased out in the summer. Have a go at Klopp not Henderson as he is just doing what it says in the tin. 

Fair enough, and I dont think our opinions on him differ that much. 

And yes, I think Klopp is rating him too highly, and need to look for better options for the first 11 immediately, and probably for the squad pretty soon.

Up until the goal I though he was playing very safe, regularly sending the ball back from whence it came the second he though a Napoli player was within 6 yards of him. After the goal, he seemed to get braver on the ball, turning and carrying it and looking for a decent forward pass. Sure there were still one or two moments of 'regular' Hendo after that but the fact he was looking to be more progressive like his teammates allowed our centre backs (particularly Matip) to play much higher, completely nullifying Mertens and Insigne as attacking threats.

56 minutes ago, Dicko said:

VVD bollocking Henderson every time he plays is a joy to behold.

Jordan mate it's not Virgil's fault that you need an entire half free of opposition players just so you can control the ball then pass it back to your centre half.

Henderson did ok on Sunday when he came on.  Be amazed if VvD doesn't get the armband next season so don't see the point in slagging of Hendo in the meantime. He probably knows himself it's inevitable and he should take a leaf out of Sami's book when the captaincy went to Gerrard. No moaning just carried on and played like the great pro he was.

10 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Sami played even better after the captaincy was moved on.

Hendo has a real battle even getting a start now, so I don't see the sense in VVD not getting it from next season.

I would like to know how that conversation went. I would imagine Sami was asked if he enjoys the challenge of being skipper or whether he would prefer it to be moved on. It's hard to understand how a player who has been given no choice would improve as a player. 

If Henderson was any kind of Captain (like Sami was as he definitely led from his performances at the back but most have realised there was a better choice) then he will be happy to step aside and see it as a positive thing for the team and club. Otherwise he is only really interested in his own role in the team. That's certainly not Skipper behaviour. 

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I would like to know how that conversation went. I would imagine Sami was asked if he enjoys the challenge of being skipper or whether he would prefer it to be moved on. It's hard to understand how a player who has been given no choice would improve as a player. 

If Henderson was any kind of Captain (like Sami was as he definitely led from his performances at the back but most have realised there was a better choice) then he will be happy to step aside and see it as a positive thing for the team and club. Otherwise he is only really interested in his own role in the team. That's certainly not Skipper behaviour. 

I read that he was a bit frustrated about it at first, but Ged knew Stevie was going to be something special and even though he wasn't deserving of the captaincy in that moment, it would be something that would push him to an even greater height in the near future. 

Sami being the absolute legend that he is understood all of this. 

It was a massive decision by Ged and one that I remember feeling a bit uneasy with at the time.  It was inspired though and I reckon directly led to us winning the champions league.  It’s hard to remember then if we realised just what a personality Sami Hyypia is/was.  Ged will have known though and Sami went from strength to strength if anything.  True leaders like Sami Hyypia don’t need an armband to command respect and lead.  Gerrard wouldn’t have “needed” it either just like Van Dijk wouldn’t but I just think it added something which gave the club an icon and the fan base that extra lift.  I think Van Dijk would do the same.

15 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Hyypia and Gerrard were both immense footballers and great leaders in their own way.

The situation here is a little different because, well, Henderson isn't.

I think it’s a difficult decision but for different reasons.  I think Henderson will be well liked in the squad and everything is going very well at the moment so it might rock the boat a bit by changing captain mid-season.  Only Klopp will know really if it’s the right thing to do.

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

I thought he played quite well tonight.  He was firing balls in to the forwards like he hasn’t done for a while.  Maybe Fabinho has made him raise his game a bit.

I think he enjoys playing as part of a midfield two as opposed to being the midfield anchor.

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

I raised it the other day, that fans on social media could be real ruthless and scathing... expressing my worry that some would turn on Alisson afternoon his blunder against United. Here’s a good example. An insta post to celebrate Hendo’s milestone for the club... have a look at the comments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrqSPymlDc7/

Yeah but the internet is full of trolls and cunts. No need to worry.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)