You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jordan-henderson-best-worst-player-premier-league-109773

Of all the footballers who don't really do anything, Jordan Henderson is by far the best of them.

You watch Liverpool without him and you never think that they're crying out for a Jordan Henderson. You don't exactly think they're missing him.

You watch Liverpool with him and he's just there in everyone's road, not making any mistakes but not exactly doing much else either.

When it all adds up though - whatever it is Henderson is bringing to add up - it amounts to the fact that Liverpool play better as a team with Jordan Henderson than they do without him.

GettyImages-631753296-e1484649680333.jpg

There's nothing bad about any of the English man's abilities. He can take a touch, he can pass accurately, he can swing his right foot and connect with the ball properly. Technically, he's grand.

Henderson's biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to want to offer too much. He takes the ball from his full backs - whenever they run out of space - and he rolls it five metres in the other direction. He trots across and he takes the ball from his wide men - whenever they run out of space - and he rolls it five metres in the other direction. And it repeats like clockwork.

It's not something you think others couldn't do but what's most fascinating about Jordan Henderson is that his biggest problem might just be his biggest strength.

He plays without really thinking. He makes his mind up before the ball comes to him. If Henderson has decided to cross it, it's getting crossed first time. If he's decided to clear it, it's going hard and it's going long. If he wants to roll it five metres in the other direction, he'll already have his body set up to do so, no matter what is going on around him.

GettyImages-625901086-e1484650676722.jpg

They're not the traits of a star midfielder. They're not the traits of a man that a team particularly needs but, because Henderson plays reduced, no-risk football, he's hard to get a hold of.

He never gets caught in possession, he rarely makes a mistake and, when he decides to cross one or lash one at goals - however far in advance that decision is made - sometimes it pays off. It's always win or bust with Henderson - his moves end within split seconds, even when he decides to run a little with the ball - but the bust is never at a cost. It's just a wide, it's just an over-hit cross, or it's just another team mate in possession.

He's a wet dream for someone like Ashley Westwood at Aston Villa - someone who's purposefully ineffective for fear he might ever do something wrong. But he's a T1000 version of Ashley Westwood. A much more advanced, more impressive, more useful model.

Henderson might've designed his own limitations, but he plays to the absolute limit inside of those. The result is a player that even one of the most exciting and adventurous managers in world football can make room for.

GettyImages-630585062-e1484649401182.jpg

After the Burnley game back in August, Liverpool fans hit the panic button. The team had lost, the transfer window was still open, and Jordan Henderson was still in the side. It didn't need spelling out.

Jurgen Klopp stuck to his guns though and, game by game, the captain is winning back the fans very quietly without them really noticing - literally.

"I remember after the Burnley game, everybody told me that we needed to buy a new number six because Henderson can’t play as a number six," Klopp stated this weekend.

"We need a real warrior, a real fighter.

"Five or six months later, he is the most underrated player in England."

Henderson might've reined in what he can do on the ball but, off it, he's become a bit of a beast. He's fast, he's strong, he's aggressive and he doesn't stop.

He might not chalk up as many tackles as the best holding midfielders in the world and he might be on down the rankings in terms of interceptions and what have you, but his imposing presence has become a pest to opposition players who'd rather turn around and go somewhere else rather than thread a ball through what seems like an ever-present brick wall of an anchor tied to the Liverpool ship.

He'll never be considered as one of the best and he might never be fully embraced by everyone. He might never really do anything on the pitch but, somehow, for some abstract reason, he'll make teams better on the pitch.

Gerrard's slip has masked over the fact that he was the one who was missing that day - having been red-carded in injury time in the win against City. It might be mere coincidence but this man is making a fine career now out of what some people are still trying to write off as coincidence.

Listen, you won't win any league titles with 10 Jordan Hendersons - you won't get anywhere near it.

But maybe, just maybe, you couldn't win one without him either.

To sum up that article then: Jordan Henderson is just:

Image result for ready salted

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barnesey said:

Brilliant observation. Is that supposed to be a criticism?

Thanks. I'm here all day. 

For a team 1-0 down and wanting to challenge for the title I'd suggest having a midfielder sitting alongside your two centre backs pointing isn't the best way to go about it. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

He did a very poor job of hiding that’s for sure having touched the ball 100 times yet again.

Yes. Let's get more players who touch the ball 100 times but don't really do anything with it. The first half was very, very poor and anonymous. Not because he was hiding, but because he's just not that good. He's not some horrific clown, he's just not very good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Thanks. I'm here all day. 

For a team 1-0 down and wanting to challenge for the title I'd suggest having a midfielder sitting alongside your two centre backs pointing isn't the best way to go about it. 

Maybe that’s where he’s supposed to be? I mean, Klopp seems pretty happy with him, right?

Just now, moof said:

Maybe that’s where he’s supposed to be? I mean, Klopp seems pretty happy with him, right?

Could be but the constant sniping about Henderson ( and I have done my fair share) is helping no-one. Klopp is not going stir the pot and take the armband off him before the summer and with the midfield options we have he is going to play plenty of games, He does bring experience  which is important in what is a very young side . He is what he is and is going to be our skipper for the rest of the season . I wish him well 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, moof said:

I get that he's our deepest lying midfielder, Klopp said last night he's there to protect the back 4 and doesn't expect him to be busting a gut getting into the opposition box, that's the job of others.

My point is that the easiest option is to sit alongside and even behind the centre backs under no pressure when receiving a pass, that helps nobody because you've got eleven men in front of you, if he moves up the pitch and lets Virgil move the ball out of defence, one of their players gets drawn towards Virgil and Hendo can then make himself available in space further up the pitch and take a man out of the equation, he can then turn and set up a play from there, but he doesn't generally do that and if he does get the ball there, the ball either goes back to the centre backs or out to the full backs.

• Upvote 2

Other than running straight back towards them (with the idea of pinging it straight back to them) Hendo does not show in that way for our CB's in possession. He is not really looking to receive the ball moving towards the oppositions goal and damn sure isn't comfortable carrying the ball forward through the middle. Also he is not creating forward triangle options - I would imagine that is on purpose.

Wijnaldaum is better in that sense and Fabinho is quite happy to make a forward run off the ball.

The question is are we any tighter at the back if we do not do that. If we don't it really makes it hard on the front three.

• Upvote 1

That article that was posted actually makes sense to me a little. The most positive thing about him on the pitch is that he makes very few mistakes. It's true that he doesn't give the ball away, doesn't do anything risky and there is something to be said for that. He's a safe guy to have on the pitch.

That said, all of that is a product of the fact that he does very little tangibly with the ball. That's the problem. Some midfielders are very clean technically and that's why they don't lose the ball. On the other hand, Henderson doesn't give it away because he just doesn't take many chances. That's just who he is and he damn sure won't change now. 

I'd argue Wijnaldum is the same and that's why he's bothered me and a lot of supporters. They're both so conservative, although I'd rather see Wijnaldum play #6 because he's a lot better at beating pressure. 

4 hours ago, magicrat said:

Could be but the constant sniping about Henderson ( and I have done my fair share) is helping no-one. Klopp is not going stir the pot and take the armband off him before the summer and with the midfield options we have he is going to play plenty of games, He does bring experience  which is important in what is a very young side . He is what he is and is going to be our skipper for the rest of the season . I wish him well 

No offence, but I’d like to question the statement that he brings experience. He IS experienced, yes so far I agree. But how

exactly does his experience impact the rest of the team?

Does he put his arm around the shoulder of a younger player off the field and offer a word of advice? Maybe, I wouldn’t know.

Does he use his experience to make the right decisions under pressure in games? Not as far as I can see.

Does he lead by example by stepping forward and taking the pressure on himself in difficult situations on the field? No, he consistently goes for the safe option, often putting team mates under pressure.

Does he square up to opponents, the ref or whoever when things heat up. No, very rarely.

Does he put in a tough tackle to stop us being bullied by the opposition? No.

Does he spread calm and composure by his precense, his team mates knowing that he can get us out of jail with a moment of brilliance? No, absolutely not.

Does his team mates know that he’s a proven winner, who knows what it takes to bring home silverware? No.

If you disagree with the above, fine, opinions and all that. If not, please explain exactly how he brings experience.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

No offence, but I’d like to question the statement that he brings experience. He IS experienced, yes so far I agree. But how

exactly does his experience impact the rest of the team?

Does he put his arm around the shoulder of a younger player off the field and offer a word of advice? Maybe, I wouldn’t know.

Does he use his experience to make the right decisions under pressure in games? Not as far as I can see.

Does he lead by example by stepping forward and taking the pressure on himself in difficult situations on the field? No, he consistently goes for the safe option, often putting team mates under pressure.

Does he square up to opponents, the ref or whoever when things heat up. No, very rarely.

Does he put in a tough tackle to stop us being bullied by the opposition? No.

Does he spread calm and composure by his precense, his team mates knowing that he can get us out of jail with a moment of brilliance? No, absolutely not.

Does his team mates know that he’s a proven winner, who knows what it takes to bring home silverware? No.

If you disagree with the above, fine, opinions and all that. If not, please explain exactly how he brings experience.

Nearly 300 appearances for the club is a lot of experience.

I am not arguing about what he does or doesn't do on the pitch, it's all been said 

He will be our captain the rest of the season, the club is doing well and he will probably be eased out in the summer. Have a go at Klopp not Henderson as he is just doing what it says in the tin. 

Clodoaldo Tavares de Santana, or Clodoaldo for short.

Anyone?

Some will know he was the third midfielder with Gerson and Jairzinho in the 1970 Brazil World Cup winning team that is considered by many to be the best team to ever win the competition.

He was a workhorse, defensive midfielder, who’s hardly ever mentioned, but Zagallo, the manager always picked him in the team of superstars Brazil had at that time, including Tostao, Carlos Alberto, Rivelino and Pelé.

My point is, of course, that every team, even the great ones, needs the water carriers, workhorses, whatever you want to call them and Henderson fills that role in our team more than most do.

I agree we look like we need more from our midfield than he, Milner and Wijnaldum can give collectively. They are neither creative nor quick enough in my opinion as a three, but individually they have qualities we need against most teams.

Milner isn’t getting any younger, Wijnaldum never seems to me to have full control of the ball, which leaves Hendo, who’s effort is never less than 100% and who has surprised me as Captain with his obvious enthusiasm and desire.

Something that Klopp also appears to recognise as well.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Admit it, it’s not the breakfasts, it’s his flash Dunlop trainers that offended you most.

He’s based in Melbourne, I spent close 10 years of my life in Boroondara, so that’s one thing we have in common. We both support Liverpool FC as well so that’s another. So yeah he’s talking shit.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)