You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The word "finally" speaks volumes there.  

Yes. I have been very clear that I don’t think he offered enough. If you do, we have a strong difference of opinion on what he has been offering in the number 6 role. I think he shouldn’t be a starter in that role. There’s a reason we spent loads of money on midfielders, and that Hendo wasn’t playing every game. 

I ackowledge his ladt last three games have been very good. But this ‘see, I told you he was awesome’ stuff as if the last three games is proof that all his mediocre performances didn’t happen is just silly. It happened every time Lucas had a good game too. You can’t be 6/10 for 30 games, then 10/10 for one game and say ‘see, I told you he was a 10/10 player’. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Now he’s finally offering a bit more... 

Why’s it always faint praise?! 

He changed the game vs Southampton - goal & assist too. 

He was arguably MOTM vs Porto - Carragher said he was the best player on MNF, many others did too. Lovely pass to Trent to help set up the Firmino goal. 

He glt MOTM from Sky vs Chelsea, another assist - an important one. 

Thats without mentioning his use of the ball, his energy, his pressing, his composure, his leadership.

To merely say he’s offering “a bit more” just highlights your bias against him & shows you’re reluctant to praise him. That’s not the “reality of what’s happening”. 

It’s a man struggling to praise the captain who is thriving in his best role. Then again you don’t want him as captain, you rated Allen & others over him & when you add it all up it looks like a biased agenda to me. 

Not credit where it is due. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes. I have been very clear that I don’t think he offered enough. If you do, we have a strong difference of opinion on what he has been offering in the number 6 role. I think he shouldn’t be a starter in that role. There’s a reason we spent loads of money on midfielders, and that Hendo wasn’t playing every game. 

I ackowledge his ladt last three games have been very good. But this ‘see, I told you he was awesome’ stuff as if the last three games is proof that all his mediocre performances didn’t happen is just silly. It happened every time Lucas had a good game too. You can’t be 6/10 for 30 games, then 10/10 for one game and say ‘see, I told you he was a 10/10 player’. 

You're exaggerating the extent of these so called mediocre performances.  6/10 for 30 games is poppycock. 

This thread is the pits to be fair.

Henderson's biggest problem is who preceded him as captain. You don't think you do, but everyone compares him to Stevie. Overtly or subconsciously.

Which does the lad a massive disservice, he isn't Stevie. No one in the team or in the league is like Stevie. So Henderson has had to plough his own path in that regard and be the captain he needs to be at this time. 

Previous teams have been shite and so have had to rely on Stevie. There's probably at least 5 world class players in this current team. So the need for a Stevie is reduced. Henderson is the perfect captain for this team. He's the consummate professional, tee total, well grounded, working class north east background and has high standards for himself and others. Which when you look at it, these are all primary attributes to be a captain of this club. These attributes have also been shared by other captains of this club as well.

He is the captain FOR this current team and manager. For this time. Its no wonder Klopp's vice captain is Milner, who is very very similar to Henderson. Klopp doesn't want or need a captain in the Stevie mould. He needs a Henderson.

So to that end, I think a lot of people need to fuck off and back OUR captain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Interesting bants between Carragher and Neville.  Carragher making an impassioned defence about Hendo's time playing in a deeper role.  Well in, Jamie.

I watched it twice and didn’t see an impassioned defence. I saw two people agree he shouldn’t play there and is better in this ‘his’ position. Anybody saying Hendo is great as a 6 is just wrong IMO, as is anybody saying Fabinho can’t run. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I watched it twice and didn’t see an impassioned defence. I saw two people agree he shouldn’t play there and is better in this ‘his’ position. Anybody saying Hendo is great as a 6 is just wrong IMO, as is anybody saying Fabinho can’t run. 

He talks about not dismissing Hendo's contribution as a number 6 and how he had a hand in guiding us to the CL final, etc.

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'd say Henderson is better than most players as a six, hardly gives the ball away in dangerous situations, reads the game well, gives good balance to the team, can spread play, a good tackler, never hides and does what the manager asks him to do. The defenders also appreciate him in that role.

The cricism of him in that role is based on some strange myth about what players in that position is supposed to do, not what they actually do.

As a box to box midfield he is better though, in fact he's one of the best box to box midfielders in the world, he's a pretty complete midfielder if we are honest. 

Would I want anyone else in the league instead of him? Maybe Pogba, but he's not as good defensively, but he's better going forward and I'd take Bernardo Silva over Hendo as he's brilliant going forward but also can be a bit of a cunt defensively as most Portuguese midfielders can.

Apart from that, no one really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Code said:

I'd say Henderson is better than most players as a six, hardly gives the ball away in dangerous situations, reads the game well, gives good balance to the team, can spread play, a good tackler, never hides and does what the manager asks him to do. The defenders also appreciate him in that role.

The cricism of him in that role is based on some strange myth about what players in that position is supposed to do, not what they actually do.

As a box to box midfield he is better though, in fact he's one of the best box to box midfielders in the world, he's a pretty complete midfielder if we are honest. 

Would I want anyone else in the league instead of him? Maybe Pogba, but he's not as good defensively, but he's better going forward and I'd take Bernardo Silva over Hendo as he's brilliant going forward but also can be a bit of a cunt defensively as most Portuguese midfielders can.

PL midfielders I’d take over Hendo:

De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva, Fernandinho, Pogba, Ramsey, Kante, Eriksen, Alli, Winks.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Code said:

Okay. I must be way, way off course. He's not just underrated now, but he's one of the best. I'm off to give my head a wobble. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

This thread is the pits to be fair.

Henderson's biggest problem is who preceded him as captain. You don't think you do, but everyone compares him to Stevie. Overtly or subconsciously.

Which does the lad a massive disservice, he isn't Stevie. No one in the team or in the league is like Stevie. So Henderson has had to plough his own path in that regard and be the captain he needs to be at this time. 

Previous teams have been shite and so have had to rely on Stevie. There's probably at least 5 world class players in this current team. So the need for a Stevie is reduced. Henderson is the perfect captain for this team. He's the consummate professional, tee total, well grounded, working class north east background and has high standards for himself and others. Which when you look at it, these are all primary attributes to be a captain of this club. These attributes have also been shared by other captains of this club as well.

He is the captain FOR this current team and manager. For this time. Its no wonder Klopp's vice captain is Milner, who is very very similar to Henderson. Klopp doesn't want or need a captain in the Stevie mould. He needs a Henderson.

So to that end, I think a lot of people need to fuck off and back OUR captain. 

Related image

As tedious, repetitive and incredibly old arguments go, this one makes my jizz yield only 14% of the total compared to the beans on a breakfast thread.

To reinvigorate the debate, do we think Jordan is a bean muncher?

27 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

PL midfielders I’d take over Hendo:

De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva, Fernandinho, Pogba, Ramsey, Kante, Eriksen, Alli, Winks.

But most of these are not playing in similar positions, some of these are defensive midfielders and some of them are attackers and some are shite.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

How fucking DARE you bring Lucas into this, you absolute twat. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)