You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's typically great in games where we don't have the majority of the possession. Gets to run around and put fires out and he does that well. 

Agree, that’s the kind of games he normally plays well in. But tonight he was simply very good. I’m normally very critical of him, but he was man of the match this time.

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’s such a strange footballer. Often dominates world class midfield opposition in big European games like this. 

More of the same on Sunday, please. 

I wonder if the pattern is that when he is the actual leader on the pitch, he delivers but when there is another player who leads by example then he under-performs? Hopefully he can deliver more like this and stop naysayers like me from saying nay.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

I wonder if the pattern is that when he is the actual leader on the pitch, he delivers but when there is another player who leads by example then he under-performs? Hopefully he can deliver more like this and stop naysayers like me from saying nay.

You could be onto something there. For me, his limitations have always been in his head. 

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’s such a strange footballer. Often dominates world class midfield opposition in big European games like this. 

More of the same on Sunday, please. 

Those types of games favour his style and his intensity and athleticism makes it hard for them. Has to be said, he doesn't shrink against the best either, those criticisms about his mentality I find way off. His problem is when he has to be on the ball a lot because he's just not that good with it. The rest of his game, personality, character, etc.. is pretty much exemplary. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

You could be onto something there. For me, his limitations have always been in his head. 

I'm sure it was the same when he played with Steven Gerrard, it's like he was intimidated by being alongside him. When Gerrard was out, he was more boss.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Those types of games favour his style and his intensity and athleticism makes it hard for them. Has to be said, he doesn't shrink against the best either, those criticisms about his mentality I find way off. His problem is when he has to be on the ball a lot because he's just not that good with it. The rest of his game, personality, character, etc.. is pretty much exemplary. 

Yeah agree with this. I think his close control lets him down a bit. He can be an excellent passer when he wants to.

7 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

A bit strange to say he just about holds his own after tonight’s frankly very, very good performance.

Fuck all strange about it. Bayern were very conservative tonight unless you didn’t notice. He doesn’t really offer much from the position he plays in. He would not have started if big Virg had able to play. Thiago and Rodriguez as good as they are were under orders to sit in. Easy night for sitting in. As usual he  will be like a rabbit in the headlights at the Allianz. He goes missing away from home. Fucks sake everyone knows that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, corro said:

He just about holds his own in the safe surroundings of Anfield. He lacks the balls needed when we’re away from home. If it’s between him and Fabinho playing he doesn’t get a look in.  Fabhinos a big improvement on Jordan.

An authentic Code neg.

Cherish that.

• Upvote 1

Somebody mentioned the balance of the midfield and at the moment Henderson,when fit,offers the best option as the 'steady eddie' in our midfield. I originally saw Fabinho as the straight replacement for Henderson but I think Fabinho is far too versatile to be tied into one position and that has both positive and negative aspects for us. Henderson is weakest from a goalscoring perspective,although does ping in a great pass or two to our front players,but this gives licence to our other midfielders to push on and attack. When all our midfielders are fit Henderson still deserves to be a part of our current midfield because of the lack of balance without him.

• Like 1

He has always had very good games in him, its just that over a whole seasons and all of his liverpool career he has been mostly shit or meeeh, just like Lallana is or would be if he had more then 2 games in him pr season. 

Henderson had a very good season that year we almost won it with Suarez. But we did ship a ton of goals that season right? Who was holding midfielder that year? Gerrard? 

I might be mixing seasons up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)