You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

2 hours ago, Dicko said:

Except Ray Wilkins had a brain and never hid.

How many touches did he have yesterday compared to Gini who was playing next to him? I've not looked at stats but I'm guessing it was many more. Yet he hid?

20 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Also when your two centre halves are better passers of the ball than you don't stand on their toes to pointlessly try and receive the ball. We were playing with ten men in the first half because of that fucking shithouse.

What is achieved by Hendo coming short and receiving a pass from the centre back, even if he has to give it straight back to them, is to draw the opposition out of their defensive pattern. This gives other players more space to strut their funky stuff.

Do we really have to slag this guy off every week? He is not the world's best in his position but he is a lot better than many give him credit for. Why can't we just leave it that? It is not healthy to continually undermine one of the manager's main men (whether you like that or not).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

How many touches did he have yesterday compared to Gini who was playing next to him? I've not looked at stats but I'm guessing it was many more. Yet he hid?

What is achieved by Hendo coming short and receiving a pass from the centre back, even if he has to give it straight back to them, is to draw the opposition out of their defensive pattern. This gives other players more space to strut their funky stuff.

Do we really have to slag this guy off every week? He is not the world's best in his position but he is a lot better than many give him credit for. Why can't we just leave it that? It is not healthy to continually undermine one of the manager's main men (whether you like that or not).

Stop it with your sensible and reasoned posts this is the fume thread where grown reds act like bitters because the club's captain isn't deemed a fancy enough player for them and they believe they know more than Herr Klopp.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Stop it with your sensible and reasoned posts this is the fume thread where grown reds act like bitters because the club's captain isn't deemed a fancy enough player for them and they believe they know more than Herr Klopp.

Is that really what you think?  That his critics don’t think he’s ‘fancy’ enough?  Wow.

39 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

All it does is slow play down an inordinate level and leaves you less in the opponents half, the idea that it draws the opposition on to you is nonsense seeing that Brighton were quite happy to let Liverpool have the ball in their own half prior to the goal.

Now if Xabi Alonso had the ball by FAB & VVD you might have a point as Brighton would have someone on him straight away. But because it's Henderson Brighton were not in the least bit interested in being drawn out.

How many times has VVD got to bollock Henderson before it dawns on him and some of our fans that he has no need to be that deep.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Henderson is a weak link and no amount of posturing and deflection on your behalf will change that.

If Oxlaide-Chamberlain had been fit & Keita been more impressive Henderson would be sold in January.

• Upvote 1

The level of hatred towards Henderson is genuinely bizarre. He’s a good solid pro who never fails to give 100% for the club. I can understand people highlighting his limitations as I do myself at times. But people seem incapable of acknowledging anything positive he does and some seem to genuinely hate him. I find it quite embarrassing. 

I thought he he played well 2nd half yesterday and clearly raised his intensity after a poor first half.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bernard Diomede said:

The level of hatred towards Henderson is genuinely bizarre. He’s a good solid pro who never fails to give 100% for the club. I can understand people highlighting his limitations as I do myself at times. But people seem incapable of acknowledging anything positive he does and some seem to genuinely hate him. I find it quite embarrassing. 

I thought he he played well 2nd half yesterday and clearly raised his intensity after a poor first half.

Because he hides.

The further up the field he goes the less he wants the ball. Say what you want about Lucas but he never hid and he had far more upstairs than the captain.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Because he hides.

The further up the field he goes the less he wants the ball. Say what you want about Lucas but he never hid and he had far more upstairs than the captain.

People see what they want to see mate. I didn’t see him hiding second half yesterday. He gets slaughtered for not being brave enough on the ball but wijnaldum can be equally conservative and frustrating. Wijnaldum was shite first half as well yesterday but there is nothing mentioned of it. I’m not saying he’s without fault as he often frustrates me but it’s the lack of balance and the amount of mocking he gets from our own fans that bothers me. Particularly when he’s a lad who clearly respects playing for the club and does his best. 

14 minutes ago, Bernard Diomede said:

People see what they want to see mate. I didn’t see him hiding second half yesterday. He gets slaughtered for not being brave enough on the ball but wijnaldum can be equally conservative and frustrating. Wijnaldum was shite first half as well yesterday but there is nothing mentioned of it. I’m not saying he’s without fault as he often frustrates me but it’s the lack of balance and the amount of mocking he gets from our own fans that bothers me. Particularly when he’s a lad who clearly respects playing for the club and does his best. 

Probably because after VVD he's been our best player this season and people are going easy on him, primarily because his bad games tend to coincide with playing alongside Henderson. I'll praise him if he deserves it and have given him motm plenty of times but the midfield has outgrown him. Wijnaldum is a better tackler, stronger, better on the ball and more astute than Henderson could ever hope to be and offers real protection in front of the back four to boot.

• Upvote 1

I said it in the match thread yesterday. Watch him from the 24th to the 28th minute. He's just standing there. Not moving into space. Not looking for the ball. Actually standing behind their player so he can't be given the ball when we needed an out. Indefensible. 

Nobody is arguing against him being a good pro. But he wouldn't get into any other team in the top 6 right now on his current form. I can't see any of City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Utd selecting him in their starting 11 over what they have already. 

Fans are not just singling him out for no reason. They recognise how limited he is and how he hides in games. I dare say he needs a leader beside him to give him courage like Gerrard for example. Gini isn't the most vocal nor is Milner who just leads by getting the fuck on with it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bernard Diomede said:

This. My objection is to the level of criticism he gets and the lack of balance in relation to him. People go too far in their keenness to ridicule him in my opinion. 

Being Captain doesn't help him in that respect but then again he's not good enough to be the captain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dicko said:

All it does is slow play down an inordinate level and leaves you less in the opponents half, the idea that it draws the opposition on to you is nonsense seeing that Brighton were quite happy to let Liverpool have the ball in their own half prior to the goal.

Now if Xabi Alonso had the ball by FAB & VVD you might have a point as Brighton would have someone on him straight away. But because it's Henderson Brighton were not in the least bit interested in being drawn out.

How many times has VVD got to bollock Henderson before it dawns on him and some of our fans that he has no need to be that deep.

Stupid cunt.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)