You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

Gary Neville was saying yesterday we never buy the really top players just the ones who are quite not there and might come good which is sadly true.

Except for Fernando torres and Luis Suarez.

Neville is a fucking mong.

However I do think benteke is shit. Ok, not shit, but more a poor Didier Drogba tribute act.

Gary Neville was saying yesterday we never buy the really top players just the ones who are quite not there and might come good which is sadly true.

Could say exactly the same about the mancs right now. Look at all their links in the summer to the likes of Bale and Neymar then look at who they actually bought.

Could say exactly the same about the mancs right now. Look at all their links in the summer to the likes of Bale and Neymar then look at who they actually bought.

Schweinsteiger is no mug,a bit past it like,but a top player.

Schneiderlin was exactly the player who we should have,and maybe would have signed with a decent manager in charge.

Good up and coming players can be found. A new manager will probably want a new defensive midfielder, plus a fast winger who can score goals.

Martial and Scheidelin could have been bought last summer for less than 40 mil the pair. We fucked up again.

They were top players, Torres was one of the most highly touted young players in the world and had scored 20 plus in a few seasons and had been captain of Atletico since the age of 19. Luis Suarez starred at the 2010 WC and scored 49 goals for Ajax, winning the European Golden boot in the process.

I think Neville was pointing to us signings world class players from the big clubs who are ready made stars. I don't think you could class a a guy playing in the dutch league and a youngster playing for Athletico (who hadn't won a title for 25 years) as the top bracket of players that Neville was going on about.

We did still take a risk on both of them. 

• Upvote 1

I think Neville was pointing to us signings world class players from the big clubs who are ready made stars. I don't think you could class a a guy playing in the dutch league and a youngster playing for Athletico (who hadn't won a title for 25 years) as the top bracket of players that Neville was going on about.

exactly.

Can Neville the mong give examples of teams buying real top quality players from other big teams when they have been in the Champions League once in the last 7 years and don't pay inflated wages.

There is a reason why we don't sign top quality players anymore and it's because we are a bit shit.

As for Benteke. I'm not at all surprised by us signing him. It's what we do. Buy players and then have no idea what to do with them. LetMs see it Rodgers now has the bollocks to leave his £32.5m signing on the bench and play Ings who is probably better suited to how we play (whatever way that is now). I feel more confident in an Ings-Sturridge partnership than a Benteke-Sturridge one.

As for Benteke. I'm not at all surprised by us signing him. It's what we do. Buy players and then have no idea what to do with them. LetMs see it Rodgers now has the bollocks to leave his £32.5m signing on the bench and play Ings who is probably better suited to how we play (whatever way that is now). I feel more confident in an Ings-Sturridge partnership than a Benteke-Sturridge one.

Dont include Sturridge in any long term plans,its bound to end in disappointment.

Which could ironically keep Brendan in a job as long as Sturridge stays fit, as the effect he and Ings playing together will likely have on the rest of the team would give him some breathing space.

Naturally, he would then fuck any goodwill from that into the bin by claiming against all logic his plan from the start was to play a free transfer over our second most expensive player ever, immediately followed by Sturridge breaking down and him altering the shape and restricting Ings's role.

• 4 weeks later...