You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

It's not just him that needs to learn and adapt. Lots of those aerial duels he won amounted to nothing as we had nobody waiting to run off them. He was too isolated most of the time. As we get more in synch he'll have players within receiving distance as he wins the ball in the air.

Or it might just all turn to shit and tears. I really don't know.

From f365:

In turn Liverpool have gone from winning the second-fewest aerial duels per game last season (15), to the most so far this time around (24.3), which has relieved pressure on the back four now that possession is only really being surrendered further upfield.

Who won 0.3 of an aerial duel?

One he ahs someone alongside/near him running past defenders at pace we will be lethal

In terms of hold up play and linking he is no better than Mario who is also brill at this but Benteke is much more mobile and direct with the ball at his feet and seems more consistent / less attitude

The extent to which he will really hurt teams/ score/create goals remains to be evidenced though

Spoken like someone who's just heard someone use the phrase but have no idea what it actually means. Not surprised to see its you either. Absolutely clueless. Balotelli couldn't hold his hands up never mind the ball. Sturridge is pretty poor at it as well but he's got different qualities. In terms of getting your body in and shielding the ball and finding a pass or at least delaying the ball getting turned over Benteke and Balotelli are on different planets.

The worst thing about Balotelli is that he actually didn't even look like he was aware of any of that most basic football knowledge. His whole footballing ability/knowledge here amounted to get the ball and run at players and twat it at goal regardless of the situation. It was like watching some dickhead you play 5 a side with who has never stepped foot on a full size football pitch. He's definitely the worst signing the club have ever made.

Not resorting to personal criticism of people who have a different opinion,maybe?

I've been called a bellend and a cunt recently for just giving my opinion and nobody batted an eyelid and I genuinely couldn't care less. I don't know why people are so touchy. Soleil is completely clueless and is beyond negative because he's still in meltdown over Benitez. There shouldn't be a problem in calling him on it.

I've been called a bellend and a cunt recently for just giving my opinion and nobody batted an eyelid and I genuinely couldn't care less.

Don't forget 1 arse, 3 pricks, a cock, 2 quims, 8 queefs, a gibbering, supercilious cunt-ox, 37 distinct users worth of irritating wankstain, and soleil's ma calling you "that depressing helmet, with his permanent softcock."

You're blinded  by Baotelli's other faults to the simple fact that he was actually very goo in most games he played at holding the ball with defenders on his back - not so good facing the other way

Benteke has much better movement and work-rte but its not clear to me he has the quality to hurt teams other than with his contribution to possession and building the play and sheer brute force on crosses - no real pace and no subtley - therefore we will need another striker alongside him such as Sturridge to stretch defenders with movement and pace

In the three games this year Benteke has not troubled anyone with his pace - not slow but not troublingly fast

And yes I do think we missed a trick with Rafa and that Rodgers is not the guy for us but I will give it to him that Gomez, Clyne and Benteke are good buys but I still doubt he really knows aat he wants to do other than continually try something different when its not working

You're blinded  by Baotelli's other faults to the simple fact that he was actually very goo in most games he played at holding the ball with defenders on his back - not so good facing the other way

Benteke has much better movement and work-rte but its not clear to me he has the quality to hurt teams other than with his contribution to possession and building the play and sheer brute force on crosses - no real pace and no subtley - therefore we will need another striker alongside him such as Sturridge to stretch defenders with movement and pace

In the three games this year Benteke has not troubled anyone with his pace - not slow but not troublingly fast

And yes I do think we missed a trick with Rafa and that Rodgers is not the guy for us but I will give it to him that Gomez, Clyne and Benteke are good buys but I still doubt he really knows aat he wants to do other than continually try something different when its not working

He knocked it around Chambers and beat him for pace and strength around the other side of him. This is after running at a couple of other players with the ball and them both flapping. If you are missing obvious things like that it obviously shows you arent really watching the game. He's not Michael Owen quick but he isn't slow by any means and that isn't why we signed him anyway.

I honestly don't know what game you are watching when you say Balotelli held the ball up well. He just simply didn't. After watching Sturridge not even challenge for headers or put his body in when the ball went in the air I was hoping to see something from Balotelli because he is quite clearly very strong and well built. Him taking the ball into his feet or chest is not holding the ball up though. The large majority of times the next thought in his head was how can I get a shot off regardless of how far he was away from goal. The amount of these stupid shots that would crash off the defenders shins a foot away from him as well just highlighted how fucking useless his all round game was. It actually shocked me just how bad he was. It's like he had either forgot what he was meant to do in those situations or he had simply never been told.

The stand out thing for Benteke in these first few games other than him winning nearly every high ball that's gone near him is his hold up play. He is so unselfish it makes a mockery of Balotelli and it's a shock when he doesn't find a team mate after the ball is played into him. I think he hit one bad first time pass against Arsenal when he should of trapped it. Not one other time in the game did he make a mistake like that.

• Upvote 1

He is a lump but he can score lots of goals if you feed him properly. 

But it's laughable that Mr. tiki-taka-Rodgers bought this guy though. He really is the gift that keeps on giving for opposition fans. I know he has that Deluded Brendan twitter feed and is generally treated with derision but there is just so much material to work with, he's getting off lightly at the moment.