You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

Hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet and he's already being questioned. BBC news today "he scores a goal every 22 shots is that worth 32 million?!?!" *chortle*

Fuck off. Come on Lad

Come on, he's been questioned on here worse than that. You need a thicker skin, or just ignore what the media say altogether.

Just been reading the thread on villatalk. Bizarre set of people on there. They're mainly wishing him all the best but they don't half hate us. Why?

Probably said this before on here, but a mate of mine's a Villa season ticket holder, and he offered me a seat in their end for the game played entirely in one of them mantlepiece snowglobes, couple of days after Xmas, during Rafa's last season.

I wasn't even seated with him, so was on my todd and just spent the entire match hearing the people around me shout things like "Kill iiiiiiiiiim" and "Really uuuuuuuuuurt im" every time Stevie or Torres had the ball.

It was constant, the hate poured forth all game, and over the years I've been in the other team's end at loads of grounds to watch us, if it's been the difference between a ticket or not, but I've never heard the likes of it anywhere else.

The lad in front of me gave a lengthy exposition on what would be "the best way to murder Steven Gerrard" at one stage. Really, really strange bunch of twats.

When Torres scored the game's only goal in the 94th minute, it was almost worth not being in the away end, which obviously went fucking berserk, just to, having heard that throughout, see them all exit in seconds as though flushed down the bog.

One yank, all gone!

• Upvote 1

The best thing about this signing is that he can no longer score against us every time we play Aston Villa.  Might even have a chance of taking 6 points off them this season.

Or an FA Cup final! 

How on earth are we going to line up?

Sooo many seven out of tenners its not true.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say we'd line up as follows: 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3

1300475_Liverpool.jpg

Still too many number 10s, and it has the danger of leaving Benteke isolated.

Clyne needs someone to overlap though, and Lallana's probably the hardest worker to help out Moreno. It's the only way I can see Coutinho remaining central, unless we go narrower and leave the width entirely on the fullbacks, but we've all seen that can have a knock on effect for our defence.

Maybe, if we're overrun, we'll move Cou out wide and put in another CM? I hope Rodgers has something in mind, as the fixtures aren't looking welcoming to experimentation.

1300475_Liverpool.jpg

Clyne needs someone to overlap though, and Lallana's probably the hardest worker to help out Moreno. It's the only way I can see Coutinho remaining central, unless we go narrower and leave the width entirely on the fullbacks, but we've all seen that can have a knock on effect for our defence.

Maybe, if we're overrun, we'll move Cou out wide and put in another CM? I hope Rodgers has something in mind, as the fixtures aren't looking welcoming to experimentation.

Goals galore in there. If everyone owns up to their individual and collective defensive assignments we'll do just fine.

1300475_Liverpool.jpg

We're heavy on number 10s alright, but Coutinho can press and Firmino had an outrageous record for successful tackles in Germany for somebody in his position.

Goals galore in there. If everyone owns up to their individual and collective defensive assignments we'll do just fine.

At best there's 60 goals in that team if you take each individual players best return. We won zilch scoring over 100, what is a return of 60 going to get us? You're being way too optimistic with the "goals galore" statement.

• Upvote 1

1300475_Liverpool.jpg

Without the bench, how much did we spend on that first team?

I'd suspect there is goals galore in that team but at the wrong end.   Milner and Henderson as a two is a recipe for disaster, they need someone behind them but it's looking very likely our wise manager is going to let another window pass without signing a defensive midfielder, leaving a crocked Lucas to be undoubtable called upon yet again when shit goes wrong..

• Upvote 3

Clearly Brendan has a blind spot re the need for a DM who will protect the defence in the way many other teams use one.

Will our defence be as tight as we would all like? No chance.

Will our defence be as bad as it was last season? Also no chance.

You only have to watch what happens when one boxer knows the other can't hurt him, to see the impact our impotence had last season on making us if anything even more vulnerable than the season before.

We'll still be a shambles from set-pieces at times and on the break, but teams won't be able to just tee off on us to the same degree as we'll just have weaknesses offsetting our strengths rather than being one big fucking mess, and, crucially, they'll be worried about us and under pressure much of the time, even when they have the ball.

1300475_Liverpool.jpg

Emre Can won't hang about then. I think it will be 4-3-3 for most games. Can in, Lallana out, but maybe this formation will be used in easier games.

Certs to start will be mignolet clyne skrtel milner henderson coutinho and benteke.

Lovren and sakho for left cb

Moreno and gomez and hopefully eventually flanagan battling for left back.

allen lucas and can for the third midfield spot

ibe firmino lallana markovic and possibly ings for the third forward spot.

we ll be 433 mostly with allen lucas or can in the pocket. Henderson and milner further forward.

4231 might be useful away from home

• Upvote 1

Flanagan figures in eventually but not Sturridge?

think we ll be 442 diamond when he gets back.

but hes injured on average every 3-4 games so how long he ll be back for is anyones guess. Which is probably where origi fits in.

You're using your free time to seek out and read an Aston Villa forum, and you reckon it's them who are bizarre?

Hardly 'using my spare time'. Just thought I'd see if the reaction to his departure mirrored that of some of the fuckwits on here. I was genuinely surprised at the level of hatred towards us.

At best there's 60 goals in that team if you take each individual players best return. We won zilch scoring over 100, what is a return of 60 going to get us? You're being way too optimistic with the "goals galore" statement.

Add another 20 goals if Sturridge can manage 30 odd games and then whatever the subs can chip in with and I think that he's right.