You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

I have my doubts about Benteke, how he fits into our style of play and the price are the two main ones but I guess we'll have to see how it goes. He's no Andy Carroll but he's definitely primarily a target man, and I'd much rather we signed someone who's a smooth fit. I remain to be convinced he's at all right for us.

Like stacks and stacks of rats on rafts

Clutchin' anything we can

Stacks and stacks of rats on rafts

Weight of the world crushin' our backs

There is a Dutch band called Rats On Rafts. They got to support Mudhoney last year in Utrecht. They were so excited.

Singer's a Liverpool fan.

• Upvote 2

We've signed a wide midfielder to play in the centre of midfield to provide crosses.

One of Gerrard's trademarks was his deep out swinging crosses into the box. He fucking loved those types of passes and so does Henderson to a lesser degree.

Not sure why a central player can't cross the ball.

I might be a mad man, but I'd rather go with what we've already got at the club than sign Benteke (and this assumes we see Lambert, Borini and Balotelli all move on).

I think we will be better - a lot better - up front than last season.

Sturridge won't be injured as much. He will play more and score goals. But even if, somehow, he is injured as much again, I still think we will be OK. Why?

Origi - I'm backing this lad to come good, really good. He's big, strong, fast and eager to make a mark. He can play off the shoulder of the defender and will latch on to all sorts of through balls that Firmino and Coutinho will put through. I think he can finish, even if his goals record hasn't shown that too much yet. If he gets a run in the side I'm backing him to do well. Put me down for a seat on the Origi bus!

Ings - he's a decent player and he presses and harries. He has already shown that he can finish - left foot, right foot, head. He is a hard worker and he knows the Prem. He's got a good attitude. 

So even if Sturridge is injured as much, we have two young strikers who I think will surprise us. If we sign Benteke I think it all might get clogged up a bit. Benteke is not a clear enough step above the two I've named, so why block their path? 

Also, I haven't mentioned Firmino. He's never an out and out striker, but he weighs in with a useful amount of goals. There's no way we are scoring less than last season. Even if we don't sign Benteke, I'm backing us to be much better up front this campaign. 

If he joins Man Utd does that mean they'll finish 6th, or at best 5th?

No De Gea + Benshitty = crisis

No, I imagine the top dollar they'll throw around at improving the rest of their squad will more than suffice any shortcomings Benteke might have should he sign for them. Not to mention they flung Screech up top on occasion last season so they'll definitely be more stylistically equipped for Benteke.

Where does the myth that Sturridge won't be injured as much come from?

For me it's hope more than anything - but not blind hope, more hope that the law of averages returns and he sees more action than last season. Obviously he's struggled with injuries throughout his career, but I still think last season was particularly bad. 

My point beyond that is that I'm quite hopeful about Origi and Ings, especially the former. I think Origi will go on to be a real player. Last season our strikers only got a few goals between them. It was the worst I've ever seen from a Liverpool forward line. There's no way I can see us doing that badly again. 

• Upvote 1

Do we currently have one of the worst strike forces in the league? Yes. Everyone knows we need two top strikers and a dm asap, why isnt it happening? Why do we sort the rest of the squad out yet leave these vital areas to the last minute and sign shite?

We paid 29 for firmino and if we want benteke just pay it and get it done.

Benteke, pedro and medel - done

Don't know why we don't just buy Jovetic instead of Benteke. Presumably he'd take a wage cut to get regular football, he'd cost about 10-12m and he's world class when fit. Plus he fits the way we play and can fill in as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 or as one of the three attacking midfielder slots in a 4-2-3-1 as well as playing as the lone striker. I can see him going back to Serie A and killing it like Tevez did.