You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

Obviously he would do better there. They are just about the most direct team in the top six, even more so with fellaini. Always have been and always will be. They don't piss around doing this neat intricate passing on the edge of the box. It's whipped in from all angles or more recently launched from deep in their own half. How the fuck else do lazy shit goal hangers like hernandez and solskjaer go there and enhance their reputation otherwise.

Agreed.

Which is why I'm staggered Liverpool are in for him. It's not about him being a bad player, he isn't. It's about him not being the right player for how we play. Unless we are going to a more direct system which we won't under Rodgers then I'm struggling how we can possibly get any kind of quality service to him.

• Upvote 2

Agreed.

Which is why I'm staggered Liverpool are in for him. It's not about him being a bad player, he isn't. It's about him not being the right player for how we play. Unless we are going to a more direct system which we won't under Rodgers then I'm struggling how we can possibly get any kind of quality service to him.

We dont bother thinking about that kind of shizzle.

• Upvote 1

I may be in the minority but I think he will do well.

And he's worth a few million just to keep the Goals Against column manageable

Benteke will do well here even if he isn't banging in goals as he will create space for others and will occupy defenders.

He's not my first choice but after being against Bony last season and being proved wrong I won't criticise this signing, let the manager have his first choice so he has no excuses and we shouldn't be missing out on our top target for the sake of a few million.

Signing a lumbering oaf that needs crosses to get the best out of him when we play the least amount of those in the league and have no wingers (Leaving aside the fact it's a very low percentage chance of scoring)

Not only is he not the striker that we need & won't get the best out of but we'll never see the best of Coutinho, Firminino and the other half a dozen attacking midfielders that Rodgers has assembled whilst he plays.

Signing a lumbering oaf that needs crosses to get the best out of him when we play the least amount of those in the league and have no wingers (Leaving aside the fact it's a very low percentage chance of scoring)

Not only is he not the striker that we need & won't get the best out of but we'll never see the best of Coutinho, Firminino and the other half a dozen attacking midfielders that Rodgers has assembled whilst he plays.

Villa attempt a massive 3 crosses more pg, on average, than us.

• Upvote 1

how many of his goals actually came from.crosses last season? I watched a few mins of his show reel and he only scored one from a cross which he actually brought down in a crowded penalty area and curled into the top corner with his left foot. I saw him score all sorts of goals and set players up. The first thing he does is rob a palace right back on the halfway line and run through to score.

he missed at least 1 sitter from a cross

• Upvote 2

He may score from crosses but I don't think that is his entire game (unlike some other former forwards we unfortunately signed) he's got good ball control in tight situations (I'd not want to say good touch for a big man...) can go past people, has physical presence, and, unlike a certain young man who just left us can actual strike a ball - in a variety of ways. Actually towards the goal - some of them even go in!

I'm sure we will over pay, but actually it could work out OK.

• Upvote 1