You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

So why haven't your club looked at him?

Utd City and Arsenal all need strikers and none have looked at this guy.

Looking at his assists he averages three a season. We have lost 11 goals from last season if you take in Borini, Sterling, Balotelli and Lampard. We lost 50 from the season before. If this lad scores a good return of 15 and assist 5 it leaves us well short.

We needed more.  

freudian slip?

Teams score goals. You don't just buy the goals and assists columns from the players previous seasons and add them all together.

True, but do you see Benteke adding to the team scoring besides scoring himself? Three assists a season.

I mean even taking the Villa into account how does anyone know he will start? 

Well unless they can get back within the next couple hours from Asia I'd say there's a high possibly the deal will need to be completed in Liverpool today .

Are you seriously suggesting the London office has nobody there? Because of that was the case it would be amateur hour.

EDIT: Actually, you're probably right that there is nobody there.

True, but do you see Benteke adding to the team scoring besides scoring himself? Three assists a season.

I mean even taking the Villa into account how does anyone know he will start? 

I would bet he'd get much more than 3 assists here as I hope we'll create more chances as a team. Nothings for certain though.

Nope, people with too much time on their hands have done all that for me and compiled heat maps of where his goals come from the last two seasons.

Before anyone says Villa don't play that way, Agbonlahoor and Weiman have scored numerous goals from central areas.

There's no getting away from the fact that either Benteke or Liverpool will have to serious adapt

Don't worry, Brendan will sort that heat map out. It'll start centrally on the pitch, move out to wing back and then focus on the bench as the season comes to a close. That's most the pitch covered right there.

Hasn't scored from a through ball assist in two years.  All his goals have come from out wide, rebounds or knocks on etc.

Getting the best out of Coutino & Firmino & getting the best out of this lump at the same time, will be seriously difficult.

With luck he fails his medical and Rodgers is forced to look at a player that fits better.

I decided to have a quick Google to see if I could find some statistics on through-balls. According to WhoScored we attempted 3 through balls per match last season.  That's just attempts so when you consider how high risk they are the actual completion rate will be even lower.  Given that I'm not too concerned over how many Benteke has scored from that situation as that isn't how we score most of our goals.

The figures on the site round to the nearest percentage point and Villa's rounded down to zero which means they attempt less than one every 2 games so it's little wonder he hasn't been scoring from them.

So why haven't your club looked at him?

Utd City and Arsenal all need strikers and none have looked at this guy.

Looking at his assists he averages three a season. We have lost 11 goals from last season if you take in Borini, Sterling, Balotelli and Lampard. We lost 50 from the season before. If this lad scores a good return of 15 and assist 5 it leaves us well short.

We needed more.  

We're not short of goals, and you have been.

We bought Bony instead for a similar price (25 + 3m) - There wasn't much of a queue for Bony either.

I don't think Benteke alone is enough, but I think with Sturridge it will be. Sturridge is the biggest doubt (simply due to fitness) but I'm guessing Ings has been bought to fill in for either.

• Downvote 1