You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

A bowl of honey nut cornflakes would be an upgrade on Balotelli.

How the fuck is buying Benteke for £32.5m a better buy than Coutinho for £8.5m?

its clearly about the team and its not about fucking round with individual players. Coutinho was large business at 8 millions but thats just paying for  a small part for success. Bennettke is the final piece and thats why you come to offload a final sum.

• Upvote 1

its clearly about the team and its not about fucking round with individual players. Coutinho was large business at 8 millions but thats just paying for  a small part for success. Bennettke is the final piece and thats why you come to offload a final sum.

I don't offload my final sum on just any forward.

• Upvote 3

its a fresh start for us all, so lets just let bygones be bygones lad!

Easy for you to say. You whispered sweet fantasies of Tim Vincken in my ear, you made me believe Europe was ours... and then you disappeared. Bastard, you left me here and now you come waltzing back promising Belgians and expecting to not get fucked at!? You sweet, silky skilled, immaculately groomed bastard.

This may have been posted already so apologies if it has. It's a post about Benteke by a Villa fan. The stream snippets are very good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/3bjl5z/clearing_up_some_misconceptions_surrounding/

Very interesting read, thanks for posting it here. He seemed like a knowledgeable fan who has watched him alot more than many on here. Especially the ones slating Benteke or the fee.

If you want the quality you think your getting...pay the money and prove it. Which we have.

Some people on here suggested maybe waiting with the Sterling money, wait for what exactly?! You would be happy to go into the season with a raw Origi and Danny Ings.? If our preseason games haven't shown you that we desperately need a striker NOW you need shooting. 

Ings proved he can run in behind and said in his interview after the goal that he likes to play that way. When Sturridge comes back he can do this for fun too. Firmino, Coutinho, Ibe, Markovic have enough pace. Milner is already showing he can get ahead of the rest of the midfield an loves to break forward.

Benteke offers us something we don't have and possibly has more to offer us than most of you realise. I am all aboard the Benteke boat, fuck the fee it's not his fault. He is going to be a monster for us.

• Upvote 4

Very interesting read, thanks for posting it here. He seemed like a knowledgeable fan who has watched him alot more than many on here. Especially the ones slating Benteke or the fee.

If you want the quality you think your getting...pay the money and prove it. Which we have.

Some people on here suggested maybe waiting with the Sterling money, wait for what exactly?! You would be happy to go into the season with a raw Origi and Danny Ings.? If our preseason games haven't shown you that we desperately need a striker NOW you need shooting. 

Ings proved he can run in behind and said in his interview after the goal that he likes to play that way. When Sturridge comes back he can do this for fun too. Firmino, Coutinho, Ibe, Markovic have enough pace. Milner is already showing he can get ahead of the rest of the midfield an loves to break forward.

Benteke offers us something we don't have and possibly has more to offer us than most of you realise. I am all aboard the Benteke boat, fuck the fee it's not his fault. He is going to be a monster for us.

I think the problem people have is as much of a domino effect from other transfers as Benteke in isolation. Ings and Origi will be taking game time from one another, so at best we'll have one half decent third choice and have set light to around £10m.

When people suggest waiting, they're doing so with the fear that Benteke will end up isolated and under-utilised by a manager who may be on a hiding to nothing given the fixtures. A manager who's also struggled to get the best out of any striker for whom pace is not a key asset.

Regarding running in behind, Sturridge continually passed up the opportunity last season, it isn't Coutinho's main strength (nor where he should be), and Markovic will be lucky not to be loaned out. Milner can break from midfield, but thus far we only have pre-season outings against poor opposition as evidence that he will. Ibe is our most direct player, and with the accumulation of AMs, he may find his chances limited.

We got a taste of fast, direct attacking football, and many wanted one guaranteed starter for whom through balls and running in behind was their main asset. Benteke's no slouch, but that just isn't him from what I can see. I hope I'm wrong though.

• Upvote 2

I think the problem people have is as much of a domino effect from other transfers as Benteke in isolation. Ings and Origi will be taking game time from one another, so at best we'll have one half decent third choice and have set light to around £10m.

When people suggest waiting, they're doing so with the fear that Benteke will end up isolated and under-utilised by a manager who may be on a hiding to nothing given the fixtures. A manager who's also struggled to get the best out of any striker for whom pace is not a key asset.

Regarding running in behind, Sturridge continually passed up the opportunity last season, it isn't Coutinho's main strength (nor where he should be), and Markovic will be lucky not to be loaned out. Milner can break from midfield, but thus far we only have pre-season outings against poor opposition as evidence that he will. Ibe is our most direct player, and with the accumulation of AMs, he may find his chances limited.

We got a taste of fast, direct attacking football, and many wanted one guaranteed starter for whom through balls and running in behind was their main asset. Benteke's no slouch, but that just isn't him from what I can see. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't disagree with much of what you have said there but we had one of the best players in the world and he was pivotal to this fast, direct, attacking football. We would be stupid to "only" try and replicate it without the talents of Suarez. 

We will play Thursday/Sunday for most of next season, we need a squad, Ings & Origi will see plenty of game time i think. We could have 2 different squads for domestic and Europa and i hope this is what we try and do.

Sturridge was injured, i think its unfair to say he passed up the opportunity to run in behind, i just don't think he was fit enough to do it. You maybe right about Coutinho but we still have Ibe, Firmino and i disgaree Markovic will be loaned out. He looks fitter this season and i hope he's ready to kick on. 

You could be right about Rodgers though, there is a question mark there for sure but the squad is in good shape for the next manger should that happen. 

That goal against Malaga is something else. Breaking a guy's collarbone (legally) whilst rounding a defender and keeper to score an eventual tap-in in a single piece of play!

The way he absolutely rag-dolled Smalling in another clip is the type of thing to get the fans onside very quickly, even if the goals aren't absolutely pouring in early on. 

The main issue as I see it is that he's just another signing based not on any long term scouting of him but the 12 goals he scored when Sherwood took over. As far as I can recall we have never been linked with him previously, not even when Suarez left. If he was that good and itching for a move last summer as was widely reported, and we had £65m burning a hole in our pockets why wasn't he bought then? Was his goalscoring record not the same then? The club with its scattergun approach may find their luck in this time, but after signing 30 players you'd have to be fucking terrible not to buy at least one decent player.

Like I said the list time that link was posted, what fan in their right frame of mind would go about praising the team that's poaching their best player? I was pissed when Madrid poached Alonso off us, I didn't go on their forums, pages and what have you praising their foresight and trying to ease their doubts about a player. Same for Torres, Mascherano and Suarez.

Also, it's quite convenient that EVERY single doubt that Liverpool fans have is actually bullshit... Nah, this guy says he's a Villa fan, so he must be. Definitely no way he could be a Liverpool fan who likes a big man...

I'm resigned to us signing Benteke, and I hope he can score a fuckload for us next seaso, but I have my doubts on his integration into this squad, and whether it's the right way to invest the sum we are paying for him. Apparently that's a problem for some super fans, who are in the vocal minority, who constantly just defend their opinion by stating "he's gonna be a beast for us", "Andy Carroll comparisons are lazy", "he's not just a target man", etc etc.

It's a bullshit piece by a fake villa fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The main issue as I see it is that he's just another signing based not on any long term scouting of him but the 12 goals he scored when Sherwood took over. As far as I can recall we have never been linked with him previously, not even when Suarez left. If he was that good and itching for a move last summer as was widely reported, and we had £65m burning a hole in our pockets why wasn't he bought then? Was his goalscoring record not the same then? The club with its scattergun approach may find their luck in this time, but after signing 30 players you'd have to be fucking terrible not to buy at least one decent player.

He was reported to be on our, or Rodger's list of targets last year but then he got his nasty achilles injury which is why he is so cheap now.

*... I'm just hearing in my earpiece that he's not cheap.

Like I said the list time that link was posted, what fan in their right frame of mind would go about praising the team that's poaching their best player? I was pissed when Madrid poached Alonso off us, I didn't go on their forums, pages and what have you praising their foresight and trying to ease their doubts about a player. Same for Torres, Mascherano and Suarez.

Also, it's quite convenient that EVERY single doubt that Liverpool fans have is actually bullshit... Nah, this guy says he's a Villa fan, so he must be. Definitely no way he could be a Liverpool fan who likes a big man...

I'm resigned to us signing Benteke, and I hope he can score a fuckload for us next seaso, but I have my doubts on his integration into this squad, and whether it's the right way to invest the sum we are paying for him. Apparently that's a problem for some super fans, who are in the vocal minority, who constantly just defend their opinion by stating "he's gonna be a beast for us", "Andy Carroll comparisons are lazy", "he's not just a target man", etc etc.

It's a bullshit piece by a fake villa fan.

If you think that's bollocks, go on villatalk.com and look at their fans discussing him, it's exactly the same tone. Here's a bloke with 45,000 posts:

We all knew it was going to happen.  If we are honest with ourselves we knew from day 1.

All we could really hope for was 

1. He scored some goals to help keep us up

2. He wouldnt leave after one season

3. When he did go it would be for a sum of money we could use to try and rebuild the squad

For me each one of those were important and each one has been achieved.  The fact that it is a record sum for a player we have sold is little comfort though,  it could and should have been more.

He leaves with my gratitude for all three reasons above.  He also leaves with my jealousy that he will achieve more and it will be with another club and the fee they receive will be even bigger.

I had hoped it would not happen this summer,  I still had my doubts ten days ago. But Christian by big fella I hope you remember us fondly and not as a stepping stone, I hope you fail to score against us but I doubt you will as quite simply you are a huge talent,  a beast of a striker .  The only player I have seen at the club who was quite obviously world class,  and I've seen some good ones, and destined for greater things

It's been a blast and I've enjoyed your time with us ,  perhaps more so because it was generally shite the last three years and my greatest hope now is that your legacy to us is that your leaving helps us enjoy the next few years supporting Villa a little more and that we can recycle the fee to ensure we reap greater dividends in the coming years.

Bye Beast

I said on here last week that Shaqiri seems like the sort of player who is rated incredibly highly by people who have barely seen him play and not highly at all by people who have. The opposite appears to be true of Benteke. The Villa fans who have spent the last 3 years watching him week in, week out seem to think he's absolutely top drawer, while our fans, based on the odd game and match of the day highlights think he's shite.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1