You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

He may score from crosses but I don't think that is his entire game (unlike some other former forwards we unfortunately signed) he's got good ball control in tight situations (I'd not want to say good touch for a big man...) can go past people, has physical presence, and, unlike a certain young man who just left us can actual strike a ball - in a variety of ways. Actually towards the goal - some of them even go in!

I'm sure we will over pay, but actually it could work out OK.

That's the point I think, we're paying 30 million for something that could work out OK. We should pay what it takes for a world class striker, not one that's OK but one that is as good or better than Sanchez, Costa and Aguero.

It's not his entire game, but it's hard to ignore his upswing in form from when Villa were trying to build through their midfield, and then when Sherwood decided to aim everything at him no matter what the distance.

He came alive when he was being fed the ball at the earliest opportunity, particularly with aerial battles. We, on the other hand, have an abundance of AMs that you'd assume would be the first figures picked out by the defence / deepest midfielders. If we're going back to more counter-attacking then I think he may work out alright, but I can't see how we've shaped our squad for that.

I'd worry less if I didn't think we'd already shown an alarming inability to get even passable performances out of Lambert and Balotelli, neither of whom are anywhere near as shite as they've been made out to be.

• Upvote 3

That's the point I think, we're paying 30 million for something that could work out OK. We should pay what it takes for a world class striker, not one that's OK but one that is as good or better than Sanchez, Costa and Aguero.

I'd agree, but who? Sadly we don't attract/won't pay for the likes of those three right now. 

Guess what I was thinking (but not saying very well) is He's not as one dimensional as some doom-mongers are making out. He's not the football-blind love child of andy carroll and emile heskey. Trying to have faith that it will all work out.... 

It's not his entire game, but it's hard to ignore his upswing in form from when Villa were trying to build through their midfield, and then when Sherwood decided to aim everything at him no matter what the distance.

He came alive when he was being fed the ball at the earliest opportunity, particularly with aerial battles. We, on the other hand, have an abundance of AMs that you'd assume would be the first figures picked out by the defence / deepest midfielders. If we're going back to more counter-attacking then I think he may work out alright, but I can't see how we've shaped our squad for that.

I'd worry less if I didn't think we'd already shown an alarming inability to get even passable performances out of Lambert and Balotelli, neither of whom are anywhere near as shite as they've been made out to be.

Fair points. I just hope if he's coming then he'll be used as a busy, physical, fairly quick, mobile central role. I reckon he can make a bit of space, score a few, generally make some options for creative forward passes that are actually chances.

just trying to keep a 'glass half full' mindset in an increasing depressing set of circumstances.

I'd agree, but who? Sadly we don't attract/won't pay for the likes of those three right now.

Guess what I was thinking (but not saying very well) is He's not as one dimensional as some doom-mongers are making out. He's not the football-blind love child of andy carroll and emile heskey. Trying to have faith that it will all work out....

So willI if we sign him, and I hope you're right. But in the mean time I hope we'll look elsewhere. I don't watch enough international football to say who, but I guess someone like Lacazzette or Morata would fit the bill. Or Higuain, but he may be too expensive age considered.

Only being in the UEFA/Europa thingy means the likes of Benteke is about the pinnacle of who we can buy,if we are insistent on buying from the PL. The real value is elsewhere but we dont seem that interested,Firmino aside,in buying elsewhere.

Without sorting out our defence and DM we are still only addressing part of the problem.

The constant influx means we will be trying to gel with new players over and over and will drop points regularly.

• Upvote 1

Only being in the UEFA/Europa thingy means the likes of Benteke is about the pinnacle of who we can buy,if we are insistent on buying from the PL. The real value is elsewhere but we dont seem that interested,Firmino aside,in buying elsewhere.

Without sorting out our defence and DM we are still only addressing part of the problem.

The constant influx means we will be trying to gel with new players over and over and will drop points regularly.

I agree . Strikers are hot property and whilst our scouting system gets some stick there are very few available with real potential that are not already on the radar of the top clubs.

We get the crumbs from the table these days . Sturridge a great player but with injury issues, Balotelli a nutjob that can't dress himself and now Benteke who's not quite good enough to entice a CL club to stump up the 30 million quid Villa demand. Getting an established proven goalscorer with real pedigree not possible these days

From Usher's mob, looks like we're in the early stage of the preparation to launch a bid;

http://www.espnfc.com.au/story/2522025/liverpool-prepare-bid-aston-villa-striker-christian-benteke

Liverpool are preparing a bid for Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, sources have told ESPN FC.

With Raheem Sterling's move to Manchester City set to be confirmed, Liverpool now have the funds available to launch a bid for Benteke, who has been on their radar for some time

Liverpool have been waiting for the Sterling deal to go through before making an offer for the 24-year-old, having already paid out over £40 million on new signings Roberto Firmino and Nathaniel Clyne as well as bringing in free agents James Milner and Adam Bogdan, while the club will go to a tribunal to decide a compensation fee with Burnley for Danny Ings.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has made the Belgium international his top target as he looks to solve his side's goal-scoring problems, with Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini having failed to impress in the absence of Daniel Sturridge through injury last season.

Sturridge, who missed the majority of the 2014-15 campaign through injury, will miss the start of next season as he recovers from hip surgery.

Benteke has a £32 million release clause in his current contract with Villa, but ESPN FC has been told that Liverpool are hoping to negotiate a lower fee.

However, although the player has made it clear he is keen to move on, Villa are refusing to accept a cut-price deal and want the clause to be triggered, A number of other clubs have been credited with an interest in Benteke, including Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham, but Liverpool are determined to land the former Genk man as Rodgers aims to finalise his transfer plans ahead of the new season.

Benteke enjoyed a superb second half of the season for Villa last term, scoring nine goals in 10 games, including one in their FA Cup semifinal win over against Liverpool.

How does it work?

We ve been talking about benteke all summer but have we even made a bid?

Do we go to them and say how much and then think about it for 4 weeks and go back and offer half what they want.

why does it all take so long?

• Upvote 1

How does it work?

We ve been talking about benteke all summer but have we even made a bid?

Do we go to them and say how much and then think about it for 4 weeks and go back and offer half what they want.

why does it all take so long?

Maybe it depends on getting the money from Sterling? so once that's 100% done, Liverpool can then put in a bid?

• Upvote 1

We're going to go to them and offer £28m, they'll say £32.5m please, then we'll go back and offer them £30m and they'll go £32.5m please....then we'll go back and offer them £31m and they'll say £32.5m please, then the mancs will jump in and sign him for £32.5m.

We're going to go to them and offer £28m, they'll say £32.5m please, then we'll go back and offer them £30m and they'll go £32.5m please....then we'll go back and offer them £31m and they'll say £32.5m please, then the mancs will jump in and sign him for £32.5m.

Hopefully.

• Upvote 4

This is a better scenario than will actually happen.

• Upvote 2

We are obviously not linked with anybody better, have apparently wasted another year to scout someone who will fit the profile of what we want from a striker, so I am now fully resigned with the fact we'll end up with him.

It's already mid-July, so give them the fucking money so we can begin practicing those crosses to him and runs off him. I don't want Mario Gomez or another late August panic buy again. Maybe we won't know how to use him, maybe people saying he can give our attack another dimension are right, I prefer not to believe this is yet another player we wont just because he had a good game or a few against us. I want to believe Rodgers wants him and knows what to do with him.

If we are going to waste this money anyway, lets waste it now, so we can get him in pre-season.

The question i want answered is why do we have to spend the money the moment it arrives all the time? it's like we're so obsessed with getting CL every year (when we've got it once in the last 5 years) that they spend all the transfer kitty every summer without succession planning or any real squad shaping beyond just blinkered short termism.

Take Mourinho for example, he's been at Chelsea for two seasons and he's already got a settled first eleven and can add just one or two names. We have a manager that has no idea on a settled first eleven or what formation to play these players in and he's entering his forth season with us. The squad is so unbalanced it's untrue, we've got no DM, no left backs, an average keeper and a non entity of a back up and about 8 strikers when we play one.

We've received £125m in two years and we'll have Lallana, Lovren and potentially Benteke to show for it. Then when someone like Mitrovic or Wijnaldum has a sensational breakout season next year we'll ship Benteke off to some Turkish club for about 8m and sign one of them for 25-30m and the cycle will repeat itself.

Can someone just tell them to fuck off with these lower level premier league players. Brendan mustn't of read his 400 page dossier recently because everything he said he'd instil he's done the opposite. Now it's gone full cycle... he was shipping off our £35m expensive mistake Carroll because he doesn't fit our style of play and now he's signing a big lummox for £32m to save our season before it's even begun.  

• Upvote 7