You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

Bascombe reported/tweeted that LFC want coaches to learn off Brendan and become top managers in their own right. O'Driscoll will soon be flipping those shapes.

They want coaches to learn from Rodgers and become top managers? He's only worked with two and the owners have just sacked them. Who the fuck advices these clueless idiots?

• Upvote 1

They want coaches to learn from Rodgers and become top managers? He's only worked with two and the owners have just sacked them. Who the fuck advices these clueless idiots?

Now if he was Mourihno or someone with even a taste of achievement I could understand that to some extent if true but I hope it's bollocks because it's fucking insane.

I put this on the MF earlier but here's a list of Assistant Managers by club at the start of last season...

Arsenal - Steve Bould

Aston Villa - Roy Keane

Burnley - Ian Woan

Chelsea - Steve Holland

Crystal Palace - Keith Millen

Everton - Graeme Jones

Hull City - Steve Agnew

Leicester City - Steve Walsh & Craig Shakespeare

Liverpool - Colin Pascoe

Manchester City - Brian Kidd & Ruben Cousillas

Manchester United - Ryan Giggs

Newcastle - John Carver

QPR - Kevin Bond

Southampton - Erwin Koeman

Stoke - Mark Bowen

Sunderland - Mauricio Taricco

Swansea - Josep Clotet

Spurs - Jesus Perez

West Brom - none

West Ham - Neil McDonald

With a couple of exceptions that list is hardly full of people who are very well known or have achieved a lot in the game. A quick google shows that Chelsea's Assistant Manager had only the one managerial appointment at Crewe where he was sacked after a year and set them up for relegation.

The issue people really have is that Rodgers is staying rather than who he has as assistant.

Chelsea got Mourinho... He's a proven winner with vast European experience. We have Rodgers, surely we need to have someone at the club who knows how to win a trophy.

Chelsea got Mourinho... He's a proven winner with vast European experience. We have Rodgers, surely we need to have someone at the club who knows how to win a trophy.

That pretty much proves the point I was making in that most people would not be too worried on the assistant if they had faith in the manager.

If Rodgers is to be kept I think bringing in someone who is senior and could potentially have eyes on his job could be counter-productive.

I have doubts over Rodgers' ability to turn things round here too but if he is being given a chance I think it's right that he should choose his assistant.

Also, for the record Chelsea had the same assistant when Di Matteo was in charge and they won the European Cup.

• Upvote 3

I put this on the MF earlier but here's a list of Assistant Managers by club at the start of last season...

Arsenal - Steve Bould

Aston Villa - Roy Keane

Burnley - Ian Woan

Chelsea - Steve Holland

Crystal Palace - Keith Millen

Everton - Graeme Jones

Hull City - Steve Agnew

Leicester City - Steve Walsh & Craig Shakespeare

Liverpool  - Colin Pascoe

Manchester City - Brian Kidd & Ruben Cousillas

Manchester United - Ryan Giggs

Newcastle - John Carver

QPR - Kevin Bond

Southampton - Erwin Koeman

Stoke - Mark Bowen

Sunderland - Mauricio Taricco

Swansea - Josep Clotet

Spurs - Jesus Perez

West Brom - none

West Ham - Neil McDonald

With a couple of exceptions that list is hardly full of people who are very well known or have achieved a lot in the game.  A quick google shows that Chelsea's Assistant Manager had only the one managerial appointment at Crewe where he was sacked after a year and set them up for relegation.

The issue people really have is that Rodgers is staying rather than who he has as assistant.

I conclude one thing from the above list. Them Southmampton bastards done us again.

Sammy Lee would have been a better choice. One of the best coaches in the Premier League, has won stuff, players love him and he knows European football well given his experiences with us.

Beats one of Rodgers lower league won nothing mates just grateful for the job so will just do what he's told.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sammy Lee would have been a better choice. One of the best coaches in the Premier League, has won stuff, players love him and he knows European football well given his experiences with us.

Beats one of Rodgers lower league won nothing mates just grateful for the job so will just do what he's told.

I'm playing devil's advocate here but Sammy Lee is also a failed manager who Kenny decided to sack unceremoniously as assistant manager a few years ago.

He seems like a nice fella and may well be a top coach but I'm unsure as to how anybody who's not playing, managing or coaching at the top level would have much of an insight as to how he compares to other Premier League coaches.

I'm playing devil's advocate here but Sammy Lee is also a failed manager who Kenny decided to sack unceremoniously as assistant manager a few years ago.

He seems like a nice fella and may well be a top coach but I'm unsure as to how anybody who's not playing, managing or coaching at the top level would have much of an insight as to how he compares to other Premier League coaches.

His cv shows how good he is, he was moved on under Kenny because he was a big influence on the training ground and Steve Clarke wanted full control.

I've always viewed it as a waste that one of the best English coaches who is lfc through and through doesn't work here.

I'd have given it to Barnes or Fowler someone like that. I feel the motivation an assistant provides is far more than the tactical nous. I know setting cones out is simplifying it a bit but they are not picking the team and could add a lot to our psychology.

His cv shows how good he is, he was moved on under Kenny because he was a big influence on the training ground and Steve Clarke wanted full control.

I've always viewed it as a waste that one of the best English coaches who is lfc through and through doesn't work here.

Wasn't Clarke originally brought in to the coaching set-up in a more junior position to Sammy Lee and then promoted to Assistant Manager after he left?  If so it was obvious that Kenny wanted Clarke to have more influence on the training ground too.

I like Sammy Lee so I'm certainly not looking to be disrespectful towards him but the point I was making was very much that unless you have been coached by someone or have watched them coach others it's very difficult to form an opinion on how good they are.

It's amusing more than anything. Rodgers is so parochial and underwhelming that rather than go and get someone who will challenge him he brings in someone who may or may not be a great coach but is of such a low pedigree that there is no way he could ever effectively act as a counterweight.

• Upvote 2

Wasn't Clarke originally brought in to the coaching set-up in a more junior position to Sammy Lee and then promoted to Assistant Manager after he left?  If so it was obvious that Kenny wanted Clarke to have more influence on the training ground too.

I like Sammy Lee so I'm certainly not looking to be disrespectful towards him but the point I was making was very much that unless you have been coached by someone or have watched them coach others it's very difficult to form an opinion on how good they are.

The suggestion was Clarke coached the defence and Sammy the attack and it worked well. As they were both defacto assistants Sammy made way for Clarke to bring his own man in to work with him on the training ground. Things didn't go well from there though.

• Upvote 2