You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

I think we can be confident that O'Driscoll will not be bothering Brendan with his ego "this is how we did it at Crawley, Doncaster, Bournemouth..."

As for worrying about undermining Brendan, here was me thinking that the team comes first.

"A coach who knows the PL and Europe?" Ayre

"No, that would upset Brendan" Brendan's agent

"Ok then" Ayre

You're an idiot so I don't even know why I'm engaging you, but it's obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that if there is some sort of friction or disconnect in the coaching then that will translate to the pitch and we will have a bad time. For better or worse they have backed the manager and if they appointed an assistant to potentially undermine him that would be grossly incompetent at best.

He could be a fantastic coach but it just smacks more of hiring a yes man than anything else.

This seems to me a normal, weighted and substantiated post/thought, whether I agree or not. Why have you negged it TK421?

People confuse me at times.

And there's the rub. We have a club full of inexperienced or nearly men. And this is just another one to add to the pile. Would the All Blacks appoint an assistant coach that is 56 years old and had never risen above Bumfuck Sheep 2nd grade coaching? Hell fucking no. But that's just what we do these days. And more and more of our fans are like "shrug" "what do you want?"

I cant imagine we had to fend off much competition for him.

Unless Timmy went for him and ended up with Raymondo 

I'm assuming because of the 'yes man' bullshit

Its hardly bullshit. Its just an opinion, and a case could be made for it being quite a valid one.

If any one of us were to have drawn up a list of 20 potential candidates a couple of weeks back I doubt he'd have made anybodys.

I like the coaches with the foreign names, it makes me feel our club is all international and exotic. Their ability as assistant manager is irrelevant, I want names from abroad places, I get hot just thinking about it. Have I mentioned we once beat Madrid 5-0? I mean it was only 4-0 and we bottled the league soon after but my lord those were the days.

*makes noose*

• Upvote 1

Its hardly bullshit. Its just an opinion, and a case could be made for it being quite a valid one.

If any one of us were to have drawn up a list of 20 potential candidates a couple of weeks back I doubt he'd have made anybodys.

It's easily the most irritating buzz phrase of the year. And it was started by nightcat. And it's bullshit

I like the coaches with the foreign names, it makes me feel our club is all international and exotic. Their ability as assistant manager is irrelevant, I want names from abroad places, I get hot just thinking about it. Have I mentioned we once beat Madrid 5-0? I mean it was only 4-0 and we bottled the league soon after but my lord those were the days.

*makes noose*

He certainly sounds Irish to me.

It's easily the most irritating buzz phrase of the year. And it was started by nightcat. And it's bullshit

I sure I saw Alan Sugar say it on the Apprentice before Nightcat came out with it.

"Im a proper Eastender, I dont want a bloody yesman, sling your hook, my old mans a dustman"

Something like that    

• Upvote 1

What is impressive about his cv?

The biggest club he has been at is Forest where he got bin bagged in less than 6 months with a poor record.

He had Doncaster over performing and playing excellent football against the odds, he was constantly losing any good players he had and had to replace them with youngsters.The praise Eddie Howe is getting now is the same as what was being said about O'Drisscol a couple of years ago.

The fact he was sacked after 6 months comforts me aswell as it sounds like another English manager was just fucked off after a bad spell rather then he had completly fucked up over a long period and had proved his stint at Doncaster was a fluke.

He's an experienced manager and I always look at it as a bonus if a player or manager has experience of the lower leagues, they know what to expect and how to deal with teams that play physical football which is what we will come up against most times.

• Downvote 1

He's an experienced manager and I always look at it as a bonus if a player or manager has experience of the lower leagues, they know what to expect and how to deal with teams that play physical football which is what we will come up against most times.

He has done well in the lower leagues, no question, as did Brendan.

But why, when we are so short of top flight and Euro experience, do we need a lower league talent- unless Ayre is planning ahead...?

We were never going to get an assistant with more experience or any success on his record, that'd make him more qualified for the managers job than Rodgers.

None of this really matters.  Rodgers either turns the mess he created around and we have a good season or him and his backroom staff get fucked off, that's the way it should be.

He had Doncaster over performing and playing excellent football against the odds, he was constantly losing any good players he had and had to replace them with youngsters.The praise Eddie Howe is getting now is the same as what was being said about O'Drisscol a couple of years ago.

The fact he was sacked after 6 months comforts me aswell as it sounds like another English manager was just fucked off after a bad spell rather then he had completly fucked up over a long period and had proved his stint at Doncaster was a fluke.

Some lower level experience is fine I agree.

Only lower level experience despite being around for years suggests mediocrity.

He has done well in the lower leagues, no question, as did Brendan.

But why, when we are so short of top flight and Euro experience, do we need a lower league talent- unless Ayre is planning ahead...?

It looks like a BR decision and my conclusion would be he wanted someone alongside him who shares his footballing beliefs and has actually dealt with managing a club and had to deal with everything that comes along with it.

Judging by BRs comments earlier about O'Driscoll it appears BR thinks he is one of the top coaches in England and thinks he would deserve a job in the top league.If he rates him that highly having him onside and helping with the day to day stuff would make sense.

As for his career he done well and was then fucked off early on in his next two jobs, maybe he couldn't bother starting over from the bottom again or wasn't getting offers.We've all seen how English managers get forgotten about quickly like Curbishley and others, atleast O'Driscolls talent was recognised by being given the England u19 job.

I couldn't give a fuck if he's a successful manager at lower league level. I couldn't give a fuck if he's a great coach to be honest. It's a fucking assistant manager, if we're shit again next season it won't be because we got Alan Partridge in to back up the manager it'll be all on the manager.

Ferguson had Mike Phelan for fucks sake.

We were never going to get an assistant with more experience or any success on his record, that'd make him more qualified for the managers job than Rodgers.

None of this really matters.  Rodgers either turns the mess he created around and we have a good season or him and his backroom staff get fucked off, that's the way it should be.

So basically getting rid of Pascoe and Marsh was pointless.

I couldn't give a fuck if he's a successful manager at lower league level. I couldn't give a fuck if he's a great coach to be honest. It's a fucking assistant manager, if we're shit again next season it won't be because we got Alan Partridge in to back up the manager it'll be all on the manager.

Ferguson had Mike Phelan for fucks sake.

Mike Phelan was just there to put the cones out. Meulensteen was the first team coach as Querioz and McClaren were before him. All top coaches.

It's okay saying "it's all on the manager, who cares about the assistant?". Well who got sacked for last season's shambles? The assistant did. And Rodgers has handpicked another lower league mate to replace him.

The appointment isn't a huge matter in the long run, and I'm not going to get hysterical about it. This does make you wonder just what the hell went on in that season review though. What deficiencies in the setup are going to be corrected by sacking the other coaches and getting this guy in?

Mike Phelan was just there to put the cones out. Meulensteen was the first team coach as Querioz and McClaren were before him. All top coaches.

It's okay saying "it's all on the manager, who cares about the assistant?". Well who got sacked for last season's shambles? The assistant did. And Rodgers has handpicked another lower league mate to replace him.

Nobody actually believes that Pascoe and Marsh were to blame for last season though. Just like nobody knows if they were any good or not. Same with O'Driscoll.

If the manager surrounds himself with shit it's his own fault. FSG are hardly going to break the bank for a worldy coach then pay him off in Drcember when Klopp wants to bring his own guys in.

The parallel you make between ODriscoll and Eddie Howe is well wide of the mark.