You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

Why is everyone getting upset about our assistant manager? What difference does it make how well he's managed elsewhere? He may be a shit manager and a brilliant coach. Chelsea's assistant manager is a fella called steve Holland who managed the mighty Crewe for a year before going to Chelsea and it never stopped them winning the league last year. Steve Bould is arsenals number two, he's never managed anywhere, Giggs is the mancs number two, again never been a manager (except for 4 games temporarily) and Brian Kidd is city's number two, he managed for one year and got Blackburn relegated.

There are more important things to get in a strop about than who puts the cones out for fucks sake.

Maybe because Chelsea have Mourinho, Arsenal have Wenger and we have Brendan Rodgers.

It's because we've got a rookie manager in need of help that we need a strong assistant manager with a European and top level pedigree. Not some lower league journeyman. Might as well have stuck with Postman Pascoe.

It goes without saying that given the choice Rodgers would have chose one of his won-nothing mates who'll just do whatever he says because they're made up to have the job. He shouldn't have had the choice. A condition to him staying should have been a top level coach alongside him but just like with the DOF he's had the owners off again.

• Upvote 1

Let me guess: anti-Rodgers = WTF is this shit? Pro-Rodgers = WTF is the problem?

About right.

Could apply to every thread I guess.

Im not so much WTF- more- "This is going to take some explaining to my Manc friend who I happily informed in the pub on Sunday that we are finally making good signings/appointments all round and clearing out the crap"

Its unfair to give O'Driscoll too much stick but after working with him,  Harry Redknapp nicknamed him "Mr Noisy" as he barely said a word in 16 years.

Maybe thats what Rodgers needs- Im not so sure  

If the owners had appointed an assistant with disregard for Rodgers' wishes, then I would have been giving up on next season already. If you have sufficient trust in the manager of the team, then you simply have to allow them to choose their backroom staff. If you don't trust them to do that then you should end their employment. 

Why, is Suarez coming back?

soon we'll have definitive proof whether or not it was all down to Suarez.

Rodgers has picked the men around him and has probably had as much say as anyone in transfers so he either gets it right again or he doesnt and then he'll be gone.

Last thing we need is a clash of egos. They've given Rodgers a chance, appointing an assistant manager to potentially undermine him would be a fucking disaster. Stop crying about it.

Why even change it at all then? At least Pascoe had coached at top flight level.

They get people's hopes up linking us with top coaches and then just let Rodgers choose one of his mates.

If the owners had appointed an assistant with disregard for Rodgers' wishes, then I would have been giving up on next season already. If you have sufficient trust in the manager of the team, then you simply have to allow them to choose their backroom staff. If you don't trust them to do that then you should end their employment.

They just sacked his backroom team so how can they trust him and his judgement for picking staff?

Last thing we need is a clash of egos. They've given Rodgers a chance, appointing an assistant manager to potentially undermine him would be a fucking disaster. Stop crying about it.

Not so much a clash of egos- just some depth and experience of the top level.

Im going to say it, We all think it. He was available and we've ballsed it up.....

sam_allardyce_2093173c.jpg

Sevilla at Home in Europe? He would have turnt the heating up and made them park up the road

• Upvote 1

Wha? But? No I give up.

Pascoe had coached for a year in the Premier League with Rodgers so although neither should have been anywhere near the Liverpool job they had at least coached at a top level for 12 months. O'Driscoll is 58 and never coached in the top flight when what we needed was top level experience on the staff.

Let me guess: anti-Rodgers = WTF is this shit? Pro-Rodgers = WTF is the problem?

Anti-Rodgers = pissed because the owners haven't brought one of their own men who could take BRs job if we have a bad start.

Logical fan = happy BR has got a man in he wanted and the logic is clear, the guy is known for getting young players to play the style of football we want in an English league.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Objective people = *shrug*, let's just see how it goes before likening him to Moyes and going over the top like a massive bellend.

• Upvote 3

Last thing we need is a clash of egos. They've given Rodgers a chance, appointing an assistant manager to potentially undermine him would be a fucking disaster.

I think we can be confident that O'Driscoll will not be bothering Brendan with his ego "this is how we did it at Crawley, Doncaster, Bournemouth..."

As for worrying about undermining Brendan, here was me thinking that the team comes first.

"A coach who knows the PL and Europe?" Ayre

"No, that would upset Brendan" Brendan's agent

"Ok then" Ayre

Rodgers also wanted Pascoe and Marsh.

I had no problem with those two as long as the manager was happy with them, I was concerned when it looked like they had been forced out by the owners but now it looks like BR played a part I have no issue with them going.Whatever the reasons are the manager is the most important person at the club and it's up to him what he wants.

O'Drisscol was a name I heard good things about a few years ago when he was labeled the Arsene Wenger of the lower leagues, his cv is far better then Pascoes and is quite impressive.

Anti-Rodgers = pissed because the owners haven't brought one of their own men who could take BRs job if we have a bad start.

Logical fan = happy BR has got a man in he wanted and the logic is clear, the guy is known for getting young players to play the style of football we want in an English league.

Hmmmm. Is he though? Really? Got Doncaster playing ok for a bit I guess. Does that put him in the running for our Assistant Manager? 

Could be shrewd. Could be shocking.    

I guess time will tell.    

Hmmmm. Is he though? Really? Got Doncaster playing ok for a bit I guess. Does that put him in the running for our Assistant Manager?

Could be shrewd. Could be shocking.

I guess time will tell.

Someone who was overachieving with a small team, using youngsters and getting them to play better football then other richer teams is impressive to me.

I personally think it is a very shrewd appointment and not just because I'm behind BR, he's done very well working with average players and I'd imagine hes rubbing his hands at the thought of working with some of ours.

I had no problem with those two as long as the manager was happy with them, I was concerned when it looked like they had been forced out by the owners but now it looks like BR played a part I have no issue with them going.Whatever the reasons are the manager is the most important person at the club and it's up to him what he wants.

O'Drisscol was a name I heard good things about a few years ago when he was labeled the Arsene Wenger of the lower leagues, his cv is far better then Pascoes and is quite impressive.

He's a decent lower league coach, albeit with plenty of misses as well as hits over the years, but that's not what we need. He's 58 and never coached in the top flight, let alone in Europe.

What is impressive about his cv?

The biggest club he has been at is Forest where he got bin bagged in less than 6 months with a poor record.

I'm not overly arsed about him either way as I don't think his job is that important but at a club packed full of losers and with a lack of experience of the top level of football I do think we could have done with better or even somebody who knows the club or at least the league. His role probably becomes more important than it should be though due to the lack of experience and nous our manager has...if he was working under a proven top level manager with a winning record at home and in europe it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

If he was a young fella who has been operating at a lower level and showed promise fair enough, but he's been around for ages at the lower levels which says a lot.....the England job means nothing, the fucking owl is manager of the senior squad ffs!

I'm not overly arsed about him either way as I don't think his job is that important but at a club packed full of losers and with a lack of experience of the top level of football I do think we could have done with better or even somebody who knows the club or at least the league. 

And there's the rub. We have a club full of inexperienced or nearly men. And this is just another one to add to the pile. Would the All Blacks appoint an assistant coach that is 56 years old and had never risen above Bumfuck Sheep 2nd grade coaching? Hell fucking no. But that's just what we do these days. And more and more of our fans are like "shrug" "what do you want?"