You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

The Liverpool manager has been without a No2 since Pascoe and Marsh, paid the price for last season’s disappointments following a review conducted by the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group. It initially appeared Rodgers had been left isolated by their departures, with Pascoe in particular a long-time confidante, but the Northern Irishman is a firm admirer of O’Driscoll and has been instrumental in the approach.

Rodgers paid tribute to O’Driscoll’s qualities as part of a wider critique into the standard of English coaches in October 2013, when he claimed natural talent was being stifled by archaic coaching methods.

“We need to stop blaming the players,” Rodgers said at the time. “The players get the blame in this country. No, it is the coaching. The problem is that the guys who are ’that type’ of coach you never hear of them really. Look at Sean O’Driscoll. He is one of the best coaches I have ever come across. He is working at Bristol City. He has never had a chance in the top flight. His teams were expressive, had movement, they were technical, but he will probably never get a chance at a higher level.”

You never Brendan he could get that chance a lot sooner than you think.

I remember this guy getting praised when he was Doncaster manager for having them play some of the best football in the league.

I won't claim to be an expert about him but I'm happy to get someone in who is BRs choice and committed to playing attacking football with the ball on the floor.

You had me with you until the word 'Doncaster'. He's 57, don't you think there's a reason why he hasn't gained any top flight experience? Brendan has dumped on his former colleagues to save his own neck and has chosen to appoint even less experienced replacements.

Are we going to be facing the excuse next season that our failure is due to needing to give the new backroom staff time to bed in?

Still he'll be easy to replace when we thankfully appoint Klopp after the first couple of months.

You had me with you until the word 'Doncaster'. He's 57, don't you think there's a reason why he hasn't gained any top flight experience? Brendan has dumped on his former colleagues to save his neck and has chosen to appoint even less experienced replacements.

Are we going to be facing the excuse next season that our failure is due to needing to the new backroom staff time to bed in?

I'm going to burn a doncaster rovers shirt outside Anfield in protest.

• Upvote 3

O'Driscoll might be one of those who is very good at the actual coaching and assisting aspects rather than the managing, team picking and squad building aspects. I don't really know. If he's shit at both then people will justifiably raise questions and accusations about Rodgers picking another one of his mates rather than what is really required.

What I do know is that we've forfeited an opportunity to bring in somebody who has proven experience at the level we supposedly want to be at.

• Upvote 1

This appointment doesn't make any sense. Thought we lacked experience and therefore went after someone with top football experience?  undecided.gif Once again, Rodgers is choosing one of his mates. and It seems Rodgers doesn't want anyone challenging him. Yes-men or mates suites around himbest.

One step forward, two steps back. The new Liverpool way.

This appointment doesn't make any sense. Thought we lacked experience and therefore went after someone with top football experience?  undecided.gif Once again Rodgers is choosing one of his mates. It seems Rodgers doesn't want anyone challenging him.

One step forward, two steps back. The new Liverpool way.

Perhaps we're being unfair to Brendan, he's deliberately appointing staff who couldn't possibly take over even temporarily in the event of FSG being tempted to show him the door? .

• Upvote 1