You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Assistant Manager

Mark M

Why is everyone getting upset about our assistant manager? What difference does it make how well he's managed elsewhere? He may be a shit manager and a brilliant coach. Chelsea's assistant manager is a fella called steve Holland who managed the mighty Crewe for a year before going to Chelsea and it never stopped them winning the league last year. Steve Bould is arsenals number two, he's never managed anywhere, Giggs is the mancs number two, again never been a manager (except for 4 games temporarily) and Brian Kidd is city's number two, he managed for one year and got Blackburn relegated.

There are more important things to get in a strop about than who puts the cones out for fucks sake.

• Upvote 7

http://www.goalfood.com/fanzine/interviews/june-2009-sean-odriscoll-interview.html

Good article which gives an insight in to his philosophy and coaching methods.

From that article: 

"His disdain of the clichéd football manager, their media personas and clichéd responses will be a recurrent theme as we talk."

Something tells me he might not get on that well with our current manager ...

• Upvote 3

Why is everyone getting upset about our assistant manager? What difference does it make how well he's managed elsewhere? He may be a shit manager and a brilliant coach. Chelsea's assistant manager is a fella called steve Holland who managed the mighty Crewe for a year before going to Chelsea and it never stopped them winning the league last year. Steve Bould is arsenals number two, he's never managed anywhere, Giggs is the mancs number two, again never been a manager (except for 4 games temporarily) and Brian Kidd is city's number two, he managed for one year and got Blackburn relegated.

There are more important things to get in a strop about than who puts the cones out for fucks sake.

That's quite a sensible post but misses the glaringly obvious in that all the managers for whom these guys are coaches, well they are just a bit better than our Bren. We have essentially sacked Pascoe and Marsh and hired Pascoe and Marsh.

Plus it puts to an end any notion that FSG sacked the coaches, Brendan got rid to save his own skin. A master of deflection. Our own Teflon Don.

“We need to stop blaming the players,” Rodgers said at the time. “The players get the blame in this country. No, it is the coaching."

That is the key quote Brendan.

He has just emailed Google to ask them to remove this quote from their searches.

The moaning is daft and I can only imagine it's coming about because people thought Pako was coming back.

McLaren was assistant manager at Derby when Ferguson brought him in.  I was going to ask can anyone name the Chelsea assistant manager without googling it, but I see the ex-Crew man has been named above.

No manager has ever brought in an assistant who goes against how he wants to play, for the very simple reason it'd be utterly fucking stupid to do so.

No one will know much about this lad, so lets learn a little and see what he's like before putting guns in our mouths, eh?

• Upvote 3

The moaning is daft and I can only imagine it's coming about because people thought Pako was coming back...

No one will know much about this lad, so lets learn a little and see what he's like before putting guns in our mouths, eh?

In the grand scheme of things the appointment of an assistant manager registers pretty low. I agree that it should not be a cause for gnashing of teeth in itself.

O'Driscoll's record at small clubs is very impressive, there is no reason why he cannot make a contribution.

I do however think that it is valid to point out that Brendan has little experience in Europe, and a track record which is abysmal. We should be winning the EL. It is difficult to see how appointing a man with no Euro experience is going to help Brendan. Whatever O' Driscolls strengths, and he does have some, his appointment is consistent with the levelling down of talent at the club which we have seen ever since FSG's arrival.

• Upvote 5

The moaning is daft and I can only imagine it's coming about because people thought Pako was coming back.

McLaren was assistant manager at Derby when Ferguson brought him in. I was going to ask can anyone name the Chelsea assistant manager without googling it, but I see the ex-Crew man has been named above.

No manager has ever brought in an assistant who goes against how he wants to play, for the very simple reason it'd be utterly fucking stupid to do so.

Brilliant the way Rodgers is being elevated to the same level as Ferguson, Wenger, Coutinho and Van Gaal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

In the grand scheme of things the appointment of an assistant manager registers pretty low. I agree that it should not be a cause for gnashing of teeth in itself.

O'Driscoll's record at small clubs is very impressive, there is no reason why he cannot make a contribution.

I do however think that it is valid to point out that Brendan has little experience in Europe, and a track record which is abysmal. We should be winning the EL. It is difficult to see how appointing a man with no Euro experience is going to help Brendan. Whatever O' Driscolls strengths, and he does have some, his appointment is consistent with the levelling down of talent at the club which we have seen ever since FSG's arrival.

O'Driscoll is so many rungs up the ladder from Pascoe he's gone past the windows. Far rather we hired more peak-aged players with experience.

Guest davelfc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312704/Doncaster-boss-ODriscoll-explains-secret-success-Keepmoat.html

The logo on the signs that pepper the route to Cantley Park , where Doncaster Rovers train adjacent to the racecourse, tells the visitor to ‘Discover the Spirit’. 

An hour in the company of manager Sean O’Driscoll reveals that it resides in him. Ideological and combative, O’Driscoll is not the quiet man of common portrayal, the one nicknamed ‘Noisy’ years ago. 

He is the voice of a Doncaster side who tonight can move second in the Championship by defeating Leeds United. Given that Rovers beat Leeds in the play-off final two years ago, and given they were eighth in the Championship table in mid-March last season, it may soon be time to consider ‘Donny’ promotion contenders. 

Having been relegated from the Football League in 1998 and been in the Conference in 2003, Doncaster could become the first club to leave the four divisions to return and reach the Premier League. It would be some story. Just don’t ask O’Driscoll clichéd questions about it. 

The 53-year-old former Bournemouth player and manager has disdain for glib reporters, for what he calls ‘football rhetoric’ and for a ‘lack of thought’ in general. Asked about Doncaster’s ambition this season, O’Driscoll’s reply is: ‘Our ambition is to win the next game.’ And beyond that?  ‘Win the next game. That’s my ambition.’ But as a club? ‘I don’t know, you better ask the board. My influence is on the football team and I’ll implement the culture I think will win games. 'But in a 46-game season you’re not going to win every game.’ 

O’Driscoll argues that because the average lifespan of a Championship manager is 18 months, coaches are ‘battered into “three points” every week’ and he is unimpressed. ‘Then you end up coaching like that. Nobody gets time, so you focus on results. Are you going to ask a goalkeeper to roll the ball out from the back if you “need a result”? 'All you’re doing is breeding managers you don’t want to breed. The culture breeds the personalities within it.’ 

Warming to his theme, O’Driscoll adds: ‘To stay in this division and avoid relegation you need to do certain things. To win promotion you need to do certain things. Write a list and they’d be no different — except for money. 'They’d be things like organisation, attitude, discipline, so why treat it differently? But you have to articulate it: what does organisation look like to a Championship team? 'We think we know — for us — but when people say, “They’re a well-organised team”, what exactly does that mean? ‘Is 4-4-2 rigid? We’ve just had an England team lambasted for that. People think 4-4-2 is tactics; it’s nothing to do with tactics, it’s a structure. 'Within the structure you can do whatever you want. It could be the most fluid system in the world. 

'The problem with England was that their 4-4-2 was rigid. They needed to be fluid. But when you’re playing against Spain, do you need a fluid 4-4-2? 

'Do you f***. You need to be rigid because they’re better than us. ‘All I can do is send out a team with certain values and the players operate within that. They can agree or disagree but if they disagree it needs to be logical. 'They can’t just disagree because someone in the stands or on the telly said something. But there’s no thought, people do things because they’ve always been done.’ O’Driscoll wants his players to be as curious as he was — ‘If you speak to Harry Redknapp, he’ll tell you I drove him mad’ — but he is sometimes dismayed. 

‘I don’t know what players know, I’m gobsmacked at times by what they don’t know. They’re never asked to think. We breed players from eight years old who never ask “Why are we doing this?” or “How does this work?” — thinking players, who evolve. 

'All our coaching philosophies here are about understanding your responsibilities. Some players fly with it, some find it difficult, some of the older ones want to be told. ‘We want them to be the decision-makers, we want them to understand their role in the team. 'Suddenly they’ re thinking players.’ 

As an example of the philosophy O’Driscoll has introduced since he succeeded Dave Penney in 2006 when Doncaster were third tier, he refers to Andres Iniesta’s goal at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League semi-final two seasons ago. ‘We taped the Iniesta goal and showed the players. Barcelona passed and passed and passed and if they’d lost the game then people would have said just that. 

'So the outcome dictated what people said about it. We’re trying to say, “Forget the outcome, have a look at it for what it is”. 

‘To go back to your original question about where that will take us, I haven’t got a clue. And in some senses, I don’t care. It’s pointless if I’m fixated on promotion. ‘I’m under no illusions that I have to win matches but for me the best way to do that is to have a team that is flexible, made of players who understand why we do what we do. 'And when we do that well, we’re as good as anybody.’

• Upvote 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312704/Doncaster-boss-ODriscoll-explains-secret-success-Keepmoat.html

The logo on the signs that pepper the route to Cantley Park , where Doncaster Rovers train adjacent to the racecourse, tells the visitor to ‘Discover the Spirit’.

An hour in the company of manager Sean O’Driscoll reveals that it resides in him. Ideological and combative, O’Driscoll is not the quiet man of common portrayal, the one nicknamed ‘Noisy’ years ago.

He is the voice of a Doncaster side who tonight can move second in the Championship by defeating Leeds United.Given that Rovers beat Leeds in the play-off final two years ago, and given they were eighth in the Championship table in mid-March last season, it may soon be time to consider ‘Donny’ promotion contenders.

Having been relegated from the Football League in 1998 and been in the Conference in 2003, Doncaster could become the first club to leave the four divisions to return and reach the Premier League. It would be some story. Just don’t ask O’Driscoll clichéd questions about it.

The 53-year-old former Bournemouth player and manager has disdain for glib reporters, for what he calls ‘football rhetoric’ and for a ‘lack of thought’ in general. Asked about Doncaster’s ambition this season, O’Driscoll’s reply is: ‘Our ambition is to win the next game.’ And beyond that? ‘Win the next game. That’s my ambition.’ But as a club? ‘I don’t know, you better ask the board. My influence is on the football team and I’ll implement the culture I think will win games. 'But in a 46-game season you’re not going to win every game.’

O’Driscoll argues that because the average lifespan of a Championship manager is 18 months, coaches are ‘battered into “three points” every week’ and he is unimpressed. ‘Then you end up coaching like that. Nobody gets time, so you focus on results. Are you going to ask a goalkeeper to roll the ball out from the back if you “need a result”? 'All you’re doing is breeding managers you don’t want to breed. The culture breeds the personalities within it.’

Warming to his theme, O’Driscoll adds: ‘To stay in this division and avoid relegation you need to do certain things. To win promotion you need to do certain things. Write a list and they’d be no different — except for money. 'They’d be things like organisation, attitude, discipline, so why treat it differently? But you have to articulate it: what does organisation look like to a Championship team? 'We think we know — for us — but when people say, “They’re a well-organised team”, what exactly does that mean? ‘Is 4-4-2 rigid? We’ve just had an England team lambasted for that. People think 4-4-2 is tactics; it’s nothing to do with tactics, it’s a structure. 'Within the structure you can do whatever you want. It could be the most fluid system in the world.

'The problem with England was that their 4-4-2 was rigid. They needed to be fluid. But when you’re playing against Spain, do you need a fluid 4-4-2?

'Do you f***. You need to be rigid because they’re better than us. ‘All I can do is send out a team with certain values and the players operate within that. They can agree or disagree but if they disagree it needs to be logical. 'They can’t just disagree because someone in the stands or on the telly said something. But there’s no thought, people do things because they’ve always been done.’ O’Driscoll wants his players to be as curious as he was — ‘If you speak to Harry Redknapp, he’ll tell you I drove him mad’ — but he is sometimes dismayed.

‘I don’t know what players know, I’m gobsmacked at times by what they don’t know. They’re never asked to think. We breed players from eight years old who never ask “Why are we doing this?” or “How does this work?” — thinking players, who evolve.

'All our coaching philosophies here are about understanding your responsibilities. Some players fly with it, some find it difficult, some of the older ones want to be told. ‘We want them to be the decision-makers, we want them to understand their role in the team. 'Suddenly they’ re thinking players.’

As an example of the philosophy O’Driscoll has introduced since he succeeded Dave Penney in 2006 when Doncaster were third tier, he refers to Andres Iniesta’s goal at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League semi-final two seasons ago. ‘We taped the Iniesta goal and showed the players. Barcelona passed and passed and passed and if they’d lost the game then people would have said just that.

'So the outcome dictated what people said about it. We’re trying to say, “Forget the outcome, have a look at it for what it is”.

‘To go back to your original question about where that will take us, I haven’t got a clue. And in some senses, I don’t care. It’s pointless if I’m fixated on promotion. ‘I’m under no illusions that I have to win matches but for me the best way to do that is to have a team that is flexible, made of players who understand why we do what we do. 'And when we do that well, we’re as good as anybody.’

Just that last paragraph. So he's wasn't bothered about promotion, just that players were flexible and could pass a ball? Yes, this is going to go well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let's be honest the main reason most are bothered about his assistant is a lot don't believe Rodgers is up to the job. Most of us would have been happy to see him sacked at HT against Stoke.

There was the hope after the 6-1, the embarrassment against Sherwood and our worse start to a season.

Rodgers might not act like a little insecure man and get some proper experience in his backroom.

Instead he picks some fella who talks about philosophy's and has never implemented it or worked with big players or had any European experience.

At least we have cleared up that FSG sacked his staff, it was clearly Rodgers who shafted Pascoe and Marsh.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1