You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fracking

Rico1304

Another member of the regressive left, I see. Why would a nuclear power 'evangelist' ever seek to mislead you about their favourite technology?

I'm sure that applies both ways then chief? Why should I believe someone who's made up their mind outside of the facts.

I think her position has developed from a deep understanding of the issue, rather than a knee jerk. After all of she's wrong then another scientist could easily discredit her with facts.

I'm sure that applies both ways then chief? Why should I believe someone who's made up their mind outside of the facts.

I think her position has developed from a deep understanding of the issue, rather than a knee jerk. After all of she's wrong then another scientist could easily discredit her with facts.

Hey there.

Would you like to buy some magic beans?

A I'm sure that applies both ways then chief? B Why should I believe someone who's made up their mind outside of the facts.

A Yes, of course.

B You shouldn't. The hard part, though, is to determine what the "facts" are - if you want to call it that. And which "facts" are relevant.

You know her position much better than me. Which of these two (pro nuclear power) statements would you say her position is nearer to:

1. Nuclear energy is the lesser of two (several) evils.

2. Nuclear energy is the best thing since sliced bread.

Infrastructure needs a massive overhaul but the tech isn't there. The battery could be the tipping point.

You can get home batteries these days, although apparently they currently take about 20 years to pay for themselves (in Australia). So I reckon it's about 5 years before I can go full solar and get off the grid.

Will still need gas for cooking though, no way am I going for an electric hob.

A Yes, of course.

B You shouldn't. The hard part, though, is to determine what the "facts" are - if you want to call it that. And which "facts" are relevant.

You know her position much better than me. Which of these two (pro nuclear power) statements would you say her position is nearer to:

1. Nuclear energy is the lesser of two (several) evils.

2. Nuclear energy is the best thing since sliced bread.

Probably 1.5, it's plugging a gap until renewables can take over. The world will be a much better place when that happens.

The reality is that we couldn't survive without power, somewhere deep in this thread I posted a paper on the optimal mix of all the generation options and it shows nuclear is a must if we want to reduce emissions and is renewables.

In fact more renewables = more nuclear

• Upvote 1

You can get home batteries these days, although apparently they currently take about 20 years to pay for themselves (in Australia). So I reckon it's about 5 years before I can go full solar and get off the grid.

Will still need gas for cooking though, no way am I going for an electric hob.

Exactly, I think Musk is working on the home battery and elec cars will make a difference as somewhere to store solar energy rather than dumping it onto a grid that doesn't need it and all the rest of us having to pay for it.

Probably 1.5, it's plugging a gap until renewables can take over. The world will be a much better place when that happens.

The reality is that we couldn't survive without power, somewhere deep in this thread I posted a paper on the optimal mix of all the generation options and it shows nuclear is a must if we want to reduce emissions and is renewables.

In fact more renewables = more nuclear

Are these her opinions or yours?

Do you have a quote from her that is critical towards nuclear energy? Seeing as it is 1.5?

Mine.

Fuck me I'm not her publicist. I look forward to playing this tactic back in future debates.

I'm sorry, I'm only trying to find a way to determine whether or not she is an honest actor in this play. After you mentioned her I looked her up and could only find her praise the technology - hell, even the industry - in the highest terms. Her vita is a textbook lobbyist vita. I might well be missing something, that's why I asked.

I'm sorry, I'm only trying to find a way to determine whether or not she is an honest actor in this play. After you mentioned her I looked her up and could only find her praise the technology - hell, even the industry - in the highest terms. Her vita is a textbook lobbyist vita. I might well be missing something, that's why I asked.

She's worked in the industry all her working life, if she didn't think it worked she'd have left the industry. Is it only me that thinks that's fucking obvious?

She's worked in the industry all her working life, if she didn't think it worked she'd have left the industry. Is it only me that thinks that's fucking obvious?

So somebody who has worked in the arms industry all their life is a fair person to speak on gun controls and anti war movements?

You assume her motives can't be anything other than pure when they are, at best, questionable.

So somebody who has worked in the arms industry all their life is a fair person to speak on gun controls and anti war movements?

Hold on, as far as I can remember she isn't a climate change denier. Her view is that nuclear is the best option for us to hit carbon emission targets and maintain a steady supply. Do any of you really think current wind, solar and bio can maintain supply?

Hold on, as far as I can remember she isn't a climate change denier. Her view is that nuclear is the best option for us to hit carbon emission targets and maintain a steady supply. Do any of you really think current wind, solar and bio can maintain supply?

Yes, in massive abundance. If the infrastructure was there to support it.

Yes, in massive abundance. If the infrastructure was there to support it.

Really? Not what the experts I've heard say - can you link me?

The fact that she is completely invested in one type of energy, to a point of denigrating viable alternatives.

Like you?